MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Globalization And The State: 2g03 sumo1991 Academics 0 12-16-2010 03:31 PM
Want to know what's up with the McMaster Students Union ? Nosh MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-13-2010 10:26 PM
Union Market Gets New Paint Job! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 11 07-22-2008 08:32 AM
HSR Union comes to agreement with City of Hamilton Chad ARCHIVES 1 11-17-2007 09:25 AM

State of the Union

Dear MacInsiders,

Attached you will find a copy of the MSU's State of the Union 2010/2011. I know that somes students aren't quite sure what the MSU is or what it does. Most of you know that some of your student fees go toward the MSU, but you might not know what you get in return.

The State of the Union will not only explain where your student fees go, but it will also talk about the various projects the MSU is working on and what we accomplished this past year, including important events, advocacy initiatives and our vision for the future.

I'd also like to invite all of you to the State of the Union address on Friday, January 21 at 12-2 pm in the MUSC Atrium. After the address, we will have a Q&A Period with myself and my three Vice-Presidents (Administration, Finance and Education) where you can ask anything you want about the MSU.

I really hope you take the time to look through this document and to come out to the address! I know as students you are all incredibly busy. However, the State of the Union is meant to help you better understand the MSU so that you know more about the students union you are a member of and how it can benefit you.

Finally, please give us your feedback on the State of the Union. One of the things that makes the MSU such a unique and dynamic organization is that the needs of our membership are constantly evolving, resulting in a perpetual search for feedback and student opinion. We would love to hear your thoughts on the State of the Union to help us in reaching our goal of the document, and ultimately the MSU itself, being an accurate representation of MSU members.

Yours,

Mary
MSU President

alh24, AnguishedEnd, arathbon, emtee10, J-Met, Marlowe, Matt Wright, McIntyre, Tailsnake, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to mkozi for this post.

emtee10, McIntyre like this.
Published by

Article Tools

Attached Images
File Type: pdf MSU State of the Union 2010-2011.pdf (1.15 MB, 42 views)
Deleted Post
Old 01-13-2011 at 09:45 AM   #2
McIntyre
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 182 Times
It's a great way to get informed with the upcoming Presidential Elections!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:56 AM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 422 Times
Want to find answers to questions like 'when is MUGSI/SOLAR going to be fixed?' 'where do my student fees go?' and 'what is being done to prevent future tuition hikes?'

Yeah, that would be a good reason to come out to this. Or just read the document, if that's easier for you.
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:59 AM   #4
Rakim
Account Locked
Program: English & Cultural Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 815 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
when is MUGSI/SOLAR going to be fixed?'
Quote:
what is being done to prevent future tuition hikes?'

You mean the same things that never get resolved, and a bunch of false promises?

The answer to both questions is a resounding, nothing.

Old 01-16-2011 at 12:06 PM   #5
mkozi
Program: Arts & Science

Liked: 102 Times
Rakim,

If you check out the State of the Union you'll see there actually is something being done (MUGSI/SOLAR, pg 6 and Cost of Education pg 14).

The University has committed over $25 million for a complete systems renewal overhaul, meaning MUGSI/SOLAR will be completely redone. The reasons you haven't seen the results already is because it is a lengthy, complicated and expensive process with no easy fix. Sitting on the steering committee for systems renewal, I can assure you that the problem is being addressed. I don't expect that to be a completely satisfactory answer given that in the time it takes to resolve these problems students will continue to be inconvenienced by MUGSI/SOLAR... but rest assured the problem is noted, and the funds and personnel allocated to work towards a solution as soon as possible.

Matt Wright says thanks to mkozi for this post.
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:07 PM   #6
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 422 Times
Oddly enough, there are actual answers to both of those questions included in the document! That's why reading it is so important

EDIT: Nevermind, Mary beat me to it.
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:32 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Masters

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
Oddly enough, there are actual answers to both of those questions included in the document! That's why reading it is so important
The state of the union document is surprisingly comprehensive and easy to read, plus everything is laid out well enough to pull out the information you want. It was a nice read and it's nice to know what's actually going on at the school.
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:41 PM   #8
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful
Program: Science
Year: Other

Liked: 645 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozi View Post
Rakim,

If you check out the State of the Union you'll see there actually is something being done (MUGSI/SOLAR, pg 6 and Cost of Education pg 14).

The University has committed over $25 million for a complete systems renewal overhaul, meaning MUGSI/SOLAR will be completely redone. The reasons you haven't seen the results already is because it is a lengthy, complicated and expensive process with no easy fix. Sitting on the steering committee for systems renewal, I can assure you that the problem is being addressed. I don't expect that to be a completely satisfactory answer given that in the time it takes to resolve these problems students will continue to be inconvenienced by MUGSI/SOLAR... but rest assured the problem is noted, and the funds and personnel allocated to work towards a solution as soon as possible.
99.999999999999% sure any of these changes will not be seen by current students, maybe by our offspring.

Old 01-16-2011 at 12:46 PM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Masters

Liked: 453 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
99.999999999999% sure any of these changes will not be seen by current students, maybe by our offspring.
Yes, you could assume that... OR you could read the paragraph in the PDF regarding it where it clearly says that major improvements likely wont be done for another 5 years, but hopefully minor improvements should start happening after 2 years.

Then again, we all know how hard reading is, it's probably easier just to make stupid assumptions.
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:50 PM   #10
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Yes, you could assume that... OR you could read the paragraph in the PDF regarding it where it clearly says that major improvements likely wont be done for another 5 years, but hopefully minor improvements should start happening after 2 years.

Then again, we all know how hard reading is, it's probably easier just to make stupid assumptions.
Looks like my assumptions were correct (despite hyperbole); so I guess I must have powers that you lack.

MINOR IMPROVEMENTS IN TWO YEARS? OH MY GOODNESS, DOES THAT MEAN THE TIMETABLES WON'T REDIRECT YOU TO A BLANK PAGE WHEN YOU TRY TO SWITCH TERMS THE FIRST TIME ON EACH SESSION ANYMORE? WE ARE BLESSED.

Last edited by Kendoon : 01-16-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:53 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Most of what its talking about have been implemented or are in the process of being implemented... whatchu talkin' bout boy?
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:55 PM   #12
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Most of what its talking about have been implemented or are in the process of being implemented... whatchu talkin' bout boy?
I dunno man, sometimes I get so worked up and I realize I'm not good with computer and don't know how did this get here :(

Old 01-16-2011 at 01:03 PM   #13
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member
Program: Mechatronics Engineering

Liked: 103 Times
Tons of interesting stuff in there.

I just quickly skimmed through and the LRT sounds awesome even though it'll take ~15 years :'(
Also MUSS email change is after reading week! I completely forgot about that lol.
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:06 PM   #14
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
Tons of interesting stuff in there.

I just quickly skimmed through and the LRT sounds awesome even though it'll take ~15 years :'(
Also MUSS email change is after reading week! I completely forgot about that lol.
Yeah I read some of it, I'm kinda just disappointed that these things haven't been done sooner

Old 01-16-2011 at 01:08 PM   #15
Rakim
Account Locked
Program: English & Cultural Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 815 Times
Please dont be so presumptive, I read the document.

also, go bears!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search