MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On-Campus Locker rentals TheCheese Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 4 07-28-2010 09:03 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Movie Rentals krystinq18 Movies & Television 16 02-12-2010 08:30 PM
Online Movie Rentals: Everything You Wanted to Know summer Misc 2 08-01-2008 03:34 PM

Car Rentals in Hamilton

Old 09-03-2009 at 06:49 PM   #1
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Car Rentals in Hamilton
I was wondering what people's experience is with various car rental companies.

Which would you recommend, best rates, best service, etc. I guess it doesn't have to be specific to Hamilton, as the same company will be essentially the same anywhere.

I picked up a car a few times this summer to go on trips to various places, visit some friends, etc, as I don't own my own car. Made for some fun road trips. Its a bit of a waste of money, but I'd recommend it if none of you or your close pals currently have a ride. I used Budget and the service was great, so I never bothered to try anywhere else, but I can't help but feel maybe I'm missing out on somewhere even better. I'm planning on renting again for the long weekend and figured it would be a good time to ask!
Old 09-03-2009 at 06:53 PM   #2
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

The Enterprise on Cootes Drive is fantastic. They're the cheapest that I've found in the area, and their staff are great. They pick you up and bring you home for free as well. I'd really recommend them.
Old 09-03-2009 at 06:57 PM   #3
ViktorVaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
The Enterprise on Cootes Drive is fantastic. They're the cheapest that I've found in the area, and their staff are great. They pick you up and bring you home for free as well. I'd really recommend them.
A guy at the office I work at during the summer suggested that exact same Enterprise as well. Unfortunately they won't rent to you if you're under 25 unless you have your own car insurance policy.
Old 09-03-2009 at 06:59 PM   #4
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Awwww, I didn't realize that.
Old 09-03-2009 at 07:17 PM   #5
Lifejacket

Liked: Liked 6 Times

I'd recommend the Enterprise on Cootes as well. I've rented 4 times with those guys and no problems. Friendly staff and they have unlimited mileage within Ontario. And they will definitely rent you a car if you are under 25. Can't speak for the insurance though.

If you have a Visa Gold card, Visa will cover the insurance for you..which makes it really cheap. I've rented a car for 4 days and it costed me 96 dollars including tax. Its usually cheaper than taking the bus for me.
Old 09-03-2009 at 07:30 PM   #6
ViktorVaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifejacket View Post
If you have a Visa Gold card, Visa will cover the insurance for you..which makes it really cheap. I've rented a car for 4 days and it costed me 96 dollars including tax. Its usually cheaper than taking the bus for me.

Aaah yeah, I just discovered that I could use my credit card for rental collision/theft insurance a few days ago. Had I known, I would have saved myself a huge $20 per day every time I rented. I'm hitting myself now.

I wonder if enterprise will accept that. I think they were looking for liability insurance though. Well based on the good feedback, I'm going to give them another call and find out. Thanks both for the input!
Old 09-04-2009 at 10:50 AM   #7
plutoz

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
I think they were looking for liability insurance though.
I'm not sure about car rental companies requirements, but you might want to think about getting a Personal Liability Umbrella policy. I've had one from State Farm for years...

It should cover you if you get into an accident when renting a car (I'm pretty sure most gold/platinum credit card collision damage policies do not). It also is useful if you accidentally cause damage to something or injure somebody outside of driving.

One example is you cause damage to a rental property you are living in while attending school, and the landlord decides to sue you for damages. If its something serious like a flood or fire you could be on the hook for many thousands of dollars.

It also means that if you do buy a vehicle in the future the amount of liability your policy needs to cover is less so your rate is reduced.
Old 09-04-2009 at 11:35 PM   #8
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

Hey, since Coach Canada has been cutting service, I've been looking into renting a car.

I'm 20 years old....how can I rent a car from the enterprise on Cootes?
Old 09-05-2009 at 02:15 AM   #9
ViktorVaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoz View Post
I'm not sure about car rental companies requirements, but you might want to think about getting a Personal Liability Umbrella policy. I've had one from State Farm for years...

Thats probably not a bad idea, but somehow I know I'm never going to be responsible enough to buy insurance until after I graduate, heh
Old 09-05-2009 at 02:16 AM   #10
ViktorVaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheman89 View Post
Hey, since Coach Canada has been cutting service, I've been looking into renting a car.

I'm 20 years old....how can I rent a car from the enterprise on Cootes?
I think you have to be 21 to rent a car