MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question about the pulse??? macculkin Athletics & Recreation 1 06-23-2010 04:45 PM
The Pulse The Effekt Athletics & Recreation 9 06-21-2010 08:40 PM
Getting into the pulse CivEng General Discussion 2 09-10-2009 08:38 PM
Pulse line up date? tungo89 General Discussion 2 08-31-2009 03:10 PM
Athletics: The PULSE gym lorend MSU & On-Campus Services 17 08-15-2008 03:57 PM

Cardio at the Pulse

Old 10-06-2009 at 08:18 PM   #1
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times

Cardio at the Pulse
Hello everyone, I was wondering what kind of cardio machines they have at the Pulse gym. I'm sure they have treadmills but what else? As well, do I need to get a key from someone when I enter the pulse in order to use those cardio machines?
Old 10-06-2009 at 08:21 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You just need a gym membership.

They have bikes, ellipticals, stair climbers, etc.
Old 10-06-2009 at 08:21 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris98 View Post
Hello everyone, I was wondering what kind of cardio machines they have at the Pulse gym. I'm sure they have treadmills but what else? As well, do I need to get a key from someone when I enter the pulse in order to use those cardio machines?
All you need is a Pulse Membership.

They have ellipticals, stair-masters, bikes... not sure what else though. If you are just looking to run, you can do so on the indoor track for free.
Old 10-06-2009 at 08:24 PM   #4
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

For the treadmills you'll often need to sign up for the magnetic key, as there's usually a wait. Everything else is on a first serve basis.
Old 10-06-2009 at 08:26 PM   #5
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times

I know I need a membership. But i mean once I get one and I'm inside, do I need like one of those key-card thingys to insert into the treadmill to make it work? I know the one I have back home needs one and you're suppose to insert it into the machine and attach the other end to your shirt or something incase you fall off and the machine will stop so you wont hurt yourself. So I was just wondering if the machines here have the same thing.
Old 10-06-2009 at 08:41 PM   #6
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

You need to get a magnetic key from the desk for the treadmills but not for anything else
Old 10-06-2009 at 10:01 PM   #7
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Unless I am mistaken, the keys are now on treadmills, making them first come first serve. Could be wrong as I prefer to run on the track, but I think it is no need to ask for keys anymore.
Old 10-06-2009 at 10:30 PM   #8
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
Unless I am mistaken, the keys are now on treadmills, making them first come first serve. Could be wrong as I prefer to run on the track, but I think it is no need to ask for keys anymore.
Yeah the keys are definitely all on the treadmills now so you don't need to get one.

Old 10-07-2009 at 09:36 AM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

How busy is the pulse normally?

I've had a membership for a month and still haven't gone yet.

Do you often have to wait around for a machine?

What are the peak times? etcetc

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-07-2009 at 09:39 AM   #10
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

I've never had to wait for a cardio machine. As for the weight machines, if you don't need to follow a specific order, there's usually something free.

Last year I went to the gym between 4:30-6:30 and I found it very busy, so this year I've been going between 10:30-1 depending on class and it's a lot more manageable.
Old 10-07-2009 at 09:41 AM   #11
SaraM

Liked: 0 Times

any time in the afternoon, early evening is still pretty busy....
although it has slowed down since the beginning of the year because people have more school work, and i guess have lost motivation..

if you want your space.. early morning, late evening...other than that you may have to wait for equipment... or are lifting weights with someone watching you and waiting for their turn! (i just hope it dies down sooner than later)!

Sara M.
Nursing
Level III
Old 10-07-2009 at 09:50 AM   #12
BlakeM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
How busy is the pulse normally?

I've had a membership for a month and still haven't gone yet.

Do you often have to wait around for a machine?

What are the peak times? etcetc
Depends on what you want to do. If its just cardio, I find around 4-7 is pretty annoying to find a cardio machine. For regular free weights, never have to wait more than a few for the most part. I like to go around 830 when I get to school, since its usually pretty empty, or around 430 with friends, and its never bad enough to leave and come back another time.
Old 10-07-2009 at 09:58 AM   #13
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Hey, I'm a support staff member at the gym.

The keys are now attached to the treadmills, and the gym is busy busy busy in the afternoon. But over the next few weeks, it should die down because of midterms and other things. You'd be surprised at how many people just stop going to the gym...

ANYWAYS, usually there's at least one machine free, especially where the treadmills are. If you go earlier in the day, it's not very busy until about noon. So yeah.

lawleypop says thanks to Willmountain for this post.
Old 10-07-2009 at 09:58 AM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
Depends on what you want to do. If its just cardio, I find around 4-7 is pretty annoying to find a cardio machine. For regular free weights, never have to wait more than a few for the most part. I like to go around 830 when I get to school, since its usually pretty empty, or around 430 with friends, and its never bad enough to leave and come back another time.
Yea, probably just cardio. Are weights in the same section as the cardio?

I'd go before class, but I have 830 classes every day... not up for waking up at 530, walking to school, working out, and showering/getting ready there. Not my thing.

Sara, how late is late? Like around 9?

I enjoy my space when I'm working out. I hate when it's crowded. >_<

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-07-2009 at 10:03 AM   #15
BlakeM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Yea, probably just cardio. Are weights in the same section as the cardio?

I'd go before class, but I have 830 classes every day... not up for waking up at 530, walking to school, working out, and showering/getting ready there. Not my thing.

Sara, how late is late? Like around 9?

I enjoy my space when I'm working out. I hate when it's crowded. >_<
There are two levels in the pulse, one floor of weights, and one floor of cardio machines. The bottom floor has the weights + 4 rowing machines, plus a spin cycle studio(the stationary bikes for spin classes, not sure what to call em) as well as a fitness studio for classes, the upper floor has all the rest of the cardio stuff)

I used to enjoy working out relatively alone, but you get used to it when its packed. It gets better as more people stop working out through out the year, picks up alot at new years, then goes back to regular amounts of people pretty soon.

lawleypop says thanks to BlakeM for this post.