MacInsiders Logo
Old 06-14-2010 at 08:25 PM   #1
The Effekt
Program: Peace Studies
Year: Fourth

Liked: 3 Times
The Pulse
I was wondering if anyone knows what specific types of equipment/machines they have at the pulse, and also how often you are able to fit a workout-for maybe an hour a day-into your busy class schedules, and when the best (least crowded) times to go are?
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Add negative rating0Add positive rank
Old 06-14-2010 at 08:26 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked
Program: English & Cultural Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 815 Times
Go @ like 6am

DannyV likes this.
Old 06-14-2010 at 08:27 PM   #3
The Effekt
Program: Peace Studies

Liked: 3 Times
damn, is the early morning the only time its not busy?

Old 06-14-2010 at 08:33 PM   #4
jo87
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Second

Liked: 152 Times
No until 10:30 it's fine, after that it gets crowded but as the semester goes on the gym gets more and more empty throughout the day.
Old 06-14-2010 at 08:37 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
They have pretty much everything from what I've seen anyway. Best time to go.. I would say the busiest time is around 3-7 PM. I've been there at 7AM and it was pretty nice. I would say it's not too busy till maybe 10 AM, not sure about after that though. As for when to go.. it really depends on how much work you have. My roommate and I were able to go for 1-1.5 hrs 3+ times a week, depending on how busy that week was.
Old 06-15-2010 at 10:40 AM   #6
kenneth526
Elite Member
Year: Third

Liked: 41 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Effekt View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows what specific types of equipment/machines they have at the pulse, and also how often you are able to fit a workout-for maybe an hour a day-into your busy class schedules, and when the best (least crowded) times to go are?
1) They have pretty much every machine possible. Off the top of my head: free-weight dumbbells, incline shoulder press, bench press, quad curl, hamstring curl, preacher curl, chest press (vertical and incline), hamstring pull (or whatever that machine is called), deltoid extension, abs crunch, traps pulldown, etc....

They also have a cardio studio with ellipticals, treadmills, stairmasters, and stationary bikes

2) You can honestly fit it a one hour workout every single day to your schedule if you manage your time properly.

3) Least crowded is probably in the morning (from when it opens ~6am to probably 3 or 4pm). It peaks from (4-9pm] and kind of trickles down from (9-10:30pm] (or whenever it closes). Weekend peak times are around 3-5pm.

Last edited by kenneth526 : 06-15-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2010 at 04:49 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
The Pulse can get very, very busy. As in, all machines are in use and there are small groups of people waiting to use machines.

There are times when it's not as busy, like early in the morning. But more often than not, when I go, it's almost completely full. Maybe I just go at the worst times though.
Old 06-15-2010 at 08:42 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
When I go there seems to be a lot of people but the machines are generally free. Just remember that if you are doing a routine, you don't really have to go in any order. If one of the machines is taken just go to your next exercise and come back after. You can also just wait, most people only do 3 sets and chances are they are already halfway through their sets when you want to use the machine.

I go around 2 by the way.
Old 06-16-2010 at 01:31 AM   #9
resh.jyoti
Program: Life Science
Residence: McKay 2009-2010, SOCS 2010-2014

Liked: 29 Times
Generally early in the morning, and early afternoon are the best times. When it starts getting into late afternoon/evening, the gym packs up. Also, nearing exam time, there's no one, so it's a good break from cramming (instead of watching House ). Also, the start of each term is really crazy, just to let you know, and dies down after about 3 weeks.
Old 06-21-2010 at 08:40 PM   #10
Naheed
Account Disabled by User
Program: Political Science

Liked: 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Effekt View Post
damn, is the early morning the only time its not busy?
Go before 2 PM and on weekends if you want to use the studio for resistance training, and don't bother trying to find a treadmill, elliptical, or weights between 4 and 8 PM. If you're a resistance person, like me, you'll get to know the fitness class schedule quite well, as you'll try to avoid it!

Work out in between classes only if you have a two hour break. An hour is usually too short to leave class, change, work out, shower/change, and go back to class. That usually depends on your workout, though. If you're looking to cram it in, alternate between machines and muscles so you still get your rest between sets.

Also, I like to schedule my classes for the afternoon so I can wake up, go to the gym, come home, shower and be ready for class and work. The only reason I miss living on campus is because my residence was so close to the gym!

Not a member of MacInsiders? Signup now and gain full access to our student community!
Ask questions, get informed, and get involved!
Closed Thread