MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
First year and dealing with MUGSI and SOLAR Cliu91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-30-2010 10:35 PM

Dealing with Homesickness

Dealing with Homesickness

RISHIMA TALWAR, MACINSIDERS

You have survived move-in day, frosh week has come and gone and classes are on full blast. For a few weeks now, you have officially been on your own. You are independent – your own boss! You get to
decide when to wake up and when to go to bed, what to eat and when to eat it. And you absolutely love it! No more parents or annoying siblings snooping around. But...the thing is....you sometimes miss the nagging and the irritating questions. Sometimes, you find yourself dreaming about your mother’s home-cooked meals, and you wish you could walk your family dog just one more time. You even find yourself thinking of the really old lady who lives across the street from you. You love being on your own, but regardless of the freedom, you miss home. Believe it or not, you are homesick!

Homesickness is some degree of distress that is caused by a separation from your home environment. It is a fairly common feeling among first year students, and unfortunately, it is not something that can be completely avoided. Even the most independent students will feel homesick at times. Although it is not preventable, by following this MI guide, you can deal with homesickness in a productive manner.

Tip one: Embrace the homesickness
Do not be embarrassed that you are missing home. Acknowledge the fact that you miss home, and do not be afraid to talk about it. Everyone is in the same boat as you, and they are most likely feeling the same way. It is never healthy to keep your feelings bottled up. If you do not feel comfortable talking to other first year students about missing home, you can definitely talk to your CA. Get to know your CA and let him/her know of your problem. She/he can help introduce you to new people on your floor and get involved!

Tip two: Stay connected
Homesickness often arises because you feel distant from your loved ones. Minimize that feeling of distance by surrounding yourself with pictures of your friends and family. Put up a few images of your loved ones, and decorate your dorm room with items that will remind you of all the support you have. Although it is hard, you should also try to stay in touch with your closest high school friends. You may be going to different universities now, but after spending four years together, your old friends probably know you the best. Sending them a text message every now and then will give you a sense of familiarity. You can also stay connected by talking on the phone or using Skype. Share your college stories with your loved ones, and let them know what is happening in your life. Keeping the lines of communication open will help you adjust to being away from home. Ease the feelings of loneliness by looking at happy images, staying in touch with your old friends and talking to your parents.

Tip three: Build a new network of support
Reminiscing about home and speaking with family and old friends is a great way to deal with homesickness. However, do not stay hidden away in your room. It is extremely important for you to make some time for new friends. Join clubs, get involved with campus life, and maybe find a part-time job. Talk to people in your residence, lectures, labs and tutorials. Say hi to that girl you keep bumping into, or the guy who is always at the gym at the same time as you. Go out and get to know new people. Staying busy and participating in different activities will help alleviate any distress that you feel. It is hard to be homesick when you are getting involved on campus and meeting new people.

Tip four: Stay positive
If all else fails, think about the amazing opportunity you have. You are young, and you have the chance to study and learn more about subjects that you enjoy. You are at a great university, and you are surrounded by awesome people. As you begin to get more and more connected with the campus and other students, you will start to feel less lonely. With time, the feelings of homesickness will pass.

etoilex3, H.L., la1ala, tbiris like this.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-20-2009 at 10:46 AM   #2
MDCL
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Third

Liked: 29 Times
For those with a scifi imagination, homesickness can be taken care of by convincing yourself that everyone in your hometown has been taken over by alien entities that will feed on anybody who strays to near. Of course, the entities leave their hosts during thanksgiving weekend, Christmas break, the summer recess, etc.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 09-20-2009 at 12:15 PM   #3
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 416 Times
lol @ mdcl

am I the only one who doesn't miss home one bit?
i just missed it the first day and I slept through it, as soon as classes started...i was perfectly ok
the best thing is, if you don't know where a place is or what is something, just ask someone...they'll either help or ignore but who cares, you'll have more knowledge at the end of the day.
heck I even asked a person what a pita was
Old 09-20-2009 at 12:38 PM   #4
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper
Program: Commerce
Year: Fourth

Liked: 454 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Yeah, home is nice an all, but there are just a lot of those days where you're just like "I'M FREE!!!!!"

I do get homesick more this year than I did in first year... Then again, it's possibly because this house I rented is in terrible condition.

Old 09-20-2009 at 01:02 PM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Year: Fourth
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
I'm homesick right now, but school is starting to get crazy already so I won't be home until Thanksgiving. I've also been here since August.
Old 09-20-2009 at 01:04 PM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science

Liked: 416 Times
i wont be home till may or june! beat that
Old 09-20-2009 at 01:05 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Some people don't. I was only really home sick for a few days in first year, and that was in November...otherwise. ..I'm more or less cool being here alone. I probably won't see my parents until after Thanksgiving and then likely not until Christmas.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-20-2009 at 01:20 PM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems

Liked: 598 Times
I've never been homesick, and I've been at my parents place for approximately 14 days per year for three years now.
Old 09-21-2009 at 07:49 AM   #9
jmbauman
Union Market Manager
SRA Member
Program: History
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 32 Times
I've been getting more homesick as I've progressed in my degree. First year I went home at holidays and when my parents asked me to. I now drive home about once a week (sure it's for band, but I still see my parents), and have a phone-tea date with my mom every few days, especially if I missed her on my band trip home.

I've become such a momma's girl. but I love the fact that I have the option to go home so frequently. The homesickness I've developed has actually strengthened my relationship with my parents.

Article Tools