Old 12-08-2007 at 03:21 AM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

A Case of Tuberculosis Found
A Case of Tuberculosis Found
By Danielle Lorenz

Now, I'm not really trying to scare you like the news media does. However, a case of tuberculosis (also called TB) has been found at McMaster, as reported by the McMaster Daily News story: "TB notice to McMaster community"

TB can be a serious and life-threatening illness, and is one of the leading causes of death world-wide. Again, I'm not trying to scare you. Most deaths occur in under-developed nations, where access to medical care and medication is limited.

TB is a lung infection, and is spread only with frequent, and close contact with an infected person.

The story goes on to say there are about twenty-five reported cases in Hamilton each year. Statistically, this works out to being a case or two each year at McMaster. See, I wasn't trying to scare you. The likelihood of catching the disease is really quite small.

However, if you are concerned, you can contact Campus Health, at
www.mcmaster.ca/health, or Health Canada at www.health.gov.on.ca. If you want more information about tuberculosis, you can also check out the Mayo Clinic's information site, available here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tuberculosis/DS00372. If you are really, really concerned, then it is suggested that you contact your family doctor, or call Public Health Department at 905-546-2424, ext. 6636 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday to Friday.

Last edited by lorend : 05-30-2008 at 07:15 PM.