MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Student Work on Display at Youth Arts Jam lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 07-30-2009 04:21 PM
Basement windows? katie_batt Residence & Housing 5 06-17-2008 09:22 AM
Vertical Forum Post Display Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 04-21-2008 07:32 AM
A Case of Tuberculosis Found lorend ARCHIVES 0 12-08-2007 03:21 AM

TSH Basement display case

Old 01-27-2009 at 02:07 PM   #1
okellyc

Liked: 0 Times

TSH Basement display case
Hello,
I'm a long time reader first time poster, but something has bothered me for 3 years now and I wondered if anyone has any answers. My concern is over the state of the display case in the basement of TSH.
A lot of you might know which one I am talking about as most of you probably pass by at least once a week. Its the display case on the left as you are walking towards the tank from the student center. Currently it has a display of something to do with ancient Roman civilization. Now I'm not knocking the ancient rRmans, but from what i can tell from reading one of the pages in the case is that this display has been there since 2004. Not only is this an incredibly long time for a display to be up in a unviersity that is as dynamic as Mac, it is the worst kept case on campus with all of the decaying flys that lace the bottom. This case is especially disheartening to me as I am an arts student. It is embarassing to walk the halls of the set of buildings that is related to my faculty, with a case in such horrible condition. It is probably one of the most used hallways in the school, that studnets from all faculty's walk through.
Sorry if this seemed like to much of a rant, but I guess my question is then who is in charge of this display and why has it not been changed in four years? I would like to think as univeristy students that we have more to say and could use this case for something, anything, else.
Old 01-27-2009 at 02:34 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

I think I know which one you're talking about, right next to the staircase.

I remember seeing that. Didn't like the flies also.

Ask the Humanities department, idunno
Old 01-27-2009 at 02:38 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I know which display case you are talking about and if you want anything done about it you should start with the Classics Clvb. You could work alongside them to have it changed on a more regular basis. Sadly, the display cases in the basement of the arts quad are not the priority of the department.

Old 01-27-2009 at 03:22 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

All I can say is ewwww, and yes they've been there for at least four years, if not more...

ewwww

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-28-2009 at 08:51 AM   #5
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

It might be disgusting, but it's probably a good thing the arts department has more important problems to deal with
Old 01-28-2009 at 09:01 AM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I'd say come up with a proposal for new things you'd like to see in the case that are feasible and propose them to the department. Integrating the humanities/arts societies and clubs would be cool.
Old 01-29-2009
steps2health
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-29-2009
steps2health
Old 01-30-2009
kokosas
Old 01-30-2009
steps2health
Old 01-30-2009 at 08:07 PM   #7
bigmac

Liked: 1 Time

lol i like how someone wrote "Engineers get a new building...humanities get bugs" in the display case
interesting...
Old 01-31-2009 at 05:13 PM   #8
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

To be fair, engineers aren't really getting that new building. After 3 years of lobbying for student space (new lounge, facilities) and it being "finalized" it was taken away from us in the summer. The faculty couldn't afford it - so when B.Tech got funding from the government, we let them have it. While B.Tech technically falls under the faculty, and there's a couple 1st year labs there - most of (undergraduate) engineering will never have a reason to visit that building. All the admin offices are staying in JHE as well.

It's a bit of a shame, really.

AnguishedEnd says thanks to DavidR for this post.
Old 01-31-2009 at 05:28 PM   #9
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
To be fair, engineers aren't really getting that new building. After 3 years of lobbying for student space (new lounge, facilities) and it being "finalized" it was taken away from us in the summer. The faculty couldn't afford it - so when B.Tech got funding from the government, we let them have it. While B.Tech technically falls under the faculty, and there's a couple 1st year labs there - most of (undergraduate) engineering will never have a reason to visit that building. All the admin offices are staying in JHE as well.

It's a bit of a shame, really.
I was looking forward to having some classes in there...damn.
Old 01-31-2009 at 09:47 PM   #10
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

That display case is right next to my locker. I get to see it every morning. It annoys me even more that people stick pieces of paper in there which really only makes it worse. I have been trying to think of something that could actually fix that. Contacting the Classics Dept. is a good idea. It's a pretty busy area so that would work well... esp something Humanities related.
Old 02-01-2009 at 09:18 AM   #11
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Haha, you think that display case is bad! Has anyone seen the case in the basement of KTH by the Firestone Room...it's in the hallway that leads out onto the Quarter's patio. No flies in the bottom, just flyers. There is nothing in there except peeling backboard. It looks pretty sketch whenever I walk by it...

Most of those display cases need a super overhaul...hey, they have a guerilla gardening movement, why not start a guerilla display case movement?