MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Reset Casio fx-991 MS? ShesTheMan General Discussion 3 10-19-2011 10:20 PM
Sharing The Casio FX-991 Calculator! Desda Academics 15 09-15-2010 06:38 AM

Casio fx 991 ES/EX no longer allowed?

Old 09-04-2017 at 09:19 AM   #1
Peregrine

Liked: 0 Times

Casio fx 991 ES/EX no longer allowed?
McMaster apparently added a clause this year specifying only the MS and MS Plus are allowed under the exam guidelines:

registrar.mcmaster.ca /exams/requirements/?fref=gc&dti=14782592 58892434

Were the newer calculators becoming too advanced or something? I just want nice user interfaces and fraction inputs (but I'll admit, ability to invert 3x3 matrices was pretty nice)
Old 09-10-2017 at 06:37 PM   #2
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

I'm sure if you open up the documentation for these calculators you could program it to do absolutely everything.

When we went into exams in COLLEGE in the NINETIES, we used this same calculator. And they made us wipe the memory during the exam so we wouldn't be using them just to punch in formulas. I've never seen Mac demand that your calculator's memory get wiped.

Random emojis::mad ::chill pill:
Old 09-10-2017 at 08:20 PM   #3
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guy View Post
I'm sure if you open up the documentation for these calculators you could program it to do absolutely everything.

When we went into exams in COLLEGE in the NINETIES, we used this same calculator. And they made us wipe the memory during the exam so we wouldn't be using them just to punch in formulas. I've never seen Mac demand that your calculator's memory get wiped.

Random emojis::mad ::chill pill:
Engineering doesn't allow any calculators during math tests at all (at least when I was there).

Those courses that allow calculators are not aimed at teaching you how to count. Instead they are aiming at teaching you the logical engineering process, which is proven by showing the full solutions to the problem. If your way of thought cannot be traced to the answer, you get an F for that question.

Clearing the calculator memory is kind of a hustle, because of the point above. They don't grade your answer, they grade your solution, which makes saving functions pointless.

Quote:
Were the newer calculators becoming too advanced or something? I just want nice user interfaces and fraction inputs (but I'll admit, ability to invert 3x3 matrices was pretty nice)
I'm pretty sure we had 3x3 matrix inversion in the MS calculator as well.
Old 11-08-2017 at 02:53 PM   #4
fab_sab_dab

Liked: 0 Times

better not be because I spent so much on my calculator in first year eng, also math courses don't even use calculators but for the other courses I like my calculator
Old 11-08-2017 at 05:42 PM   #5
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab_sab_dab View Post
better not be because I spent so much on my calculator in first year eng, also math courses don't even use calculators but for the other courses I like my calculator
Fix your macinsiders profile. Your hobbies are missing "resurrection of dead threads"