MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
calculator cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-26-2010 10:17 PM
EWB presents: Mac Alum Sharing Overseas Experience mlangille MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-13-2010 08:49 PM
Casio FX-991ES or Casio FX991MS ? endearing66 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-31-2009 01:52 PM
Calculator MohitB First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 08-28-2008 07:01 PM
File Sharing on Campus nikhil Computers & Tech 8 08-03-2007 02:35 PM

Sharing The Casio FX-991 Calculator!

Old 09-13-2010 at 01:17 PM   #1
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Sharing The Casio FX-991 Calculator!
I think this is a great idea so hear me out XD

If someone has math (any math class at all) only in the first semester, then they could find someone who only has math in the second semester and then the two of them could share one calculator. That's assuming that you already have your own calc (another type, I have a graphing calc) and you only need the standard calc for the tests/exam.

Anyone? D: (Don't want to buy a calc just for tests/exam...seems so pointless especially when my graphing calc pwns lol)
Old 09-13-2010 at 01:35 PM   #2
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Seems like a lot of work for just saving $15. A lot of other courses need calculator too like Econ, Chem, even Biology courses. And what if you end up needing calculator in upper years?

And it can be a ***** trying to use a calculator that you're not used to lol. Nice try though.
Old 09-13-2010 at 01:46 PM   #3
san38

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
I think this is a great idea so hear me out XD

If someone has math (any math class at all) only in the first semester, then they could find someone who only has math in the second semester and then the two of them could share one calculator. That's assuming that you already have your own calc (another type, I have a graphing calc) and you only need the standard calc for the tests/exam.

Anyone? D: (Don't want to buy a calc just for tests/exam...seems so pointless especially when my graphing calc pwns lol)
if you're 'sharing' the calculator, wouldn't you have to pay half the price for it? it wouldn't really be fair to the other person who has to pay full price for the calculator when he/she uses it for the same amount of time no?
Old 09-13-2010 at 02:06 PM   #4
iceteaa

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by farid View Post
Seems like a lot of work for just saving $15. A lot of other courses need calculator too like Econ, Chem, even Biology courses. And what if you end up needing calculator in upper years?

And it can be a ***** trying to use a calculator that you're not used to lol. Nice try though.
Agreed^
Old 09-13-2010 at 02:07 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I don't even know where to begin.

a) I've been using the same calculator since grade 9, it's not like they actually check the exact version of the calculator. If price is the problem, just buy an older one.

b) It's what, 20 dollars? Big whoop... You'll probably use it for the next 4 years.

c) GL HF DD using a calculator you're not used to during an exam.

d) I can go on but forget it. Just buy one. ._.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-13-2010 at 09:18 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

1. iv used texas graphing calc in high school. minus the fact it graphs the casio one is infinetly better
2. u can use free programs on pc to graph neways
3. just use the casio one
Old 09-13-2010 at 09:19 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

LOL.

Its like $10 at walmart, like under $20 at titles.
Just buy it and save yourself the hassle for your 4 years of university life.
Old 09-13-2010 at 11:59 PM   #8
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I hate spending money on things I don't need.
I already have a much better calculator and yet I gotta dish out 23 bucks (Titles price before tax) for a calc for exams/tests. So far it seems like I only need it this year. I prefer doing mental where I can anyway. And as far as getting 'used' to a calc, it's not a problem for me. There are a few important keys to know and that's about it. :/ I don't think it has as many things on it as a graphing one...eh

I guess I'll buy one... >_>
Old 09-14-2010 at 01:53 AM   #9
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I'm sorry, I can't help but think of this whenever I hear someone has a nice graphing calculator.

"TI-84 Silver Edition, know I'm shining dog!"

ikantsepll, JL37 like this.
Old 09-14-2010 at 03:43 PM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
I hate spending money on things I don't need.
I already have a much better calculator and yet I gotta dish out 23 bucks (Titles price before tax) for a calc for exams/tests. So far it seems like I only need it this year. I prefer doing mental where I can anyway. And as far as getting 'used' to a calc, it's not a problem for me. There are a few important keys to know and that's about it. :/ I don't think it has as many things on it as a graphing one...eh

I guess I'll buy one... >_>
You do need one.

If you dont want to spend 23 bucks, be like us engineers in 1st year math and don't use a calculator.
Old 09-14-2010 at 03:54 PM   #11
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

I don't even know where to begin.

a) I've been using the same calculator since grade 9, it's not like they actually check the exact version of the calculator. If price is the problem, just buy an older one.

b) It's what, 20 dollars? Big whoop... You'll probably use it for the next 4 years.

c) GL HF DD using a calculator you're not used to during an exam.

d) I can go on but forget it. Just buy one. ._.
You make me laugh everytime you make a post, it's hilarious lmao. "GL HF DD" lol. Just lol.
Old 09-14-2010 at 04:57 PM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
So far it seems like I only need it this year.
You know all 10 courses you're taking for each of the next three years already?

Quote:
I prefer doing mental where I can anyway.
Hehe, good luck propagating uncertainties, doing buffer equations in acid base, and calculating concentrations during a bio lab without a calculator :o
Old 09-14-2010 at 05:09 PM   #13
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

You should get used to using the required one anyways.

You don't want to spend extra time on the test trying to figure out how to do all the special functions on the calculator that you've never used. Also you don't want to find out too late that the required calculator doesn't have a function that you thought it did.
Old 09-14-2010 at 10:56 PM   #14
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

When I first read the thread title I thought it was going to be some fancy smancy expensive calculator.

All this over 20 bucks?

Worst.idea.ever.
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:10 PM   #15
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

If ur gan a spend 1000 dollars for books and 7000 tuition , y can't u just buy the most important thing a calculator lol its going to last you years , my cousin was in mac 5 years ago and she bought the casio fx911 and she gave it to me and i still use it until now ....