MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
audio file Allana:) Computers & Tech 2 09-16-2010 07:50 AM
Sharing The Casio FX-991 Calculator! Desda Academics 15 09-15-2010 06:38 AM
Office 2010 - File Associations Theashe Computers & Tech 3 08-26-2010 01:19 PM
File your taxes online for free sniderj Financial Aid 9 02-25-2010 10:45 AM
EWB presents: Mac Alum Sharing Overseas Experience mlangille MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-13-2010 08:49 PM

File Sharing on Campus

Old 08-01-2007 at 08:18 AM   #1
nikhil

Liked: 0 Times

File Sharing on Campus
.........A nerd's concern.......:nerdha ppy:

Are p2p services allowed on campus? Can we use torrents/limewire etc. to download music/software/movies/videos online? Even if it is technically banned, is the law enforced? Do the network admins at McMaster monitor and scan through data packets?
Does DC++(the campus file sharing software) link only to McMasters Network(which is a LAN) or can it be used to file share with users across the world(something like the gnutella network)?

What kind of file transfer speed do we get on the campus network?

Thanks.......

Last edited by nikhil : 08-01-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2007 at 08:48 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I have never heard of anyone enforcing the file sharing/downloading etc ban on campus.

As for the rest of your questions...I have no idea. I'm not that computer savvy so I'm really confused right now. :S
Old 08-01-2007 at 09:33 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

lol whoa, lots of questions! Well first off, of course the law is enforced at McMaster, and there are security services who take things very seriously.

McMaster does have a firewall which causes most filesharing programs to not function properly.

As far as I know DC++ works as you said, on LAN, therefore within residence's and not outside of campus, but you would need to check with someone in residence to confirm that since I haven't personally used DC++. Since it is on LAN, downloading speeds would be blazing fast.

Law in Canada states that file downloading of music from P2P networks is legal, however sharing (uploading) is illegal. See CNET story here. HOWEVER, McMaster MacOnline TOS states that you aren't allowed to download copyrighted material... so you can make your own decision on this.

See FAQ here:

Quote:
Q: File sharing software such as Kazaa doesn’t work. Why?
A: McMaster neither supports, nor endorses the use of file sharing applications. These programs have a tendency to monopolize residence bandwidth, and thus negatively affect network performance. Regardless, McMaster does not prevent the operation of this kind of software. Rather, file sharing applications are assigned a low priority on the network so as not to interfere with other traffic. If file sharing software appears to not work, it may be caused by the network bandwidth being fully utilized by other, higher priority applications. Please remember that downloading copyrighted materials violates the Terms and Conditions of MacOnline Usage.
Old 08-01-2007 at 11:20 AM   #4
nikhil

chad, u and lorend are in direct contradiction........ now im really confused.....Chad, Thanks for ur insight on canadian law.........
....btw im sure ppl have broken the rules more than once. Has anyone at McMaster ever been caught and punished for downloading music?
Do they ever perform random checks on the computers on campus for having illegal mp3z(or for that matter nethin copyrighted) on em?

And one question that hasnt been answered-
Do the Admins of the McMaster Network monitor data packets bieng transferred in the network?

Many Many thanks.........
Old 08-01-2007 at 12:16 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil View Post
chad, u and lorend are in direct contradiction........ now im really confused.....
I dont think we are in contradiction, Danielle hasn't heard of anyone being punished for file sharing on campus, and neither have I, but it doesn't mean that it goes unpunished.

Quote:
im sure ppl have broken the rules more than once. Has anyone at McMaster ever been caught and punished for downloading music?
I'm sure people have downloaded music and movies while on campus, it isn't a secret. Has anyone been punished? Not that I know of, you'd have to ask Security Services.

Quote:
Do they ever perform random checks on the computers on campus for having illegal mp3z(or for that matter nethin copyrighted) on em?
I haven't heard of anything like that happening, and I can't picture security going into your room and searching your own private laptop without thinking about privacy. That is, unless they had a good reason to search.

Quote:
Do the Admins of the McMaster Network monitor data packets bieng transferred in the network?
I wouldn't know, I'm not a network admin. Whatever they do, they do behind closed doors.
Old 08-01-2007 at 12:23 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I agree, I don't think Chad and I are contradictory.

As for myself, I lived in res three years ago, and was a frequent user of RezX (the precurser to DC++). The last two years, I have been a WW Rep for residence, and all of those first year students (as well as upper year RLS students) used DC++. Out of everyone I know who lived in res, no one has been penalized or "caught" so to speak.
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:24 PM   #7
nikhil

thanks ppl!
Old 08-01-2007 at 10:40 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

no problemo.
Old 08-03-2007 at 02:35 PM   #9
happy

torrents are banned and dunno about other file sharing programs but i know if ur on res u gotta use DC++ 10 mb/sec (music takes like a sec, movies a min) its all the other peoples files on res shared.