MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook Thief Caught ShouldBeStudying Computers & Tech 4 03-25-2011 07:16 PM
Mac security caught me with alcohol!! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 11-01-2010 12:20 AM
Plagiarism In University: How To Avoid It and What Happens If You Get Caught niteskie Academics 6 10-04-2009 02:21 AM

Caught the flu at the worst possible time

Old 12-06-2011 at 05:26 PM   #1
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Caught the flu at the worst possible time
Title says it all, I felt like I was coming down with something sunday/monday, but was hoping it'd go away. Woke up today extremely exhausted, threw up, etc. etc. I can't focus on any of my studying because I'm insanely drowsy. My exams kick off Saturday. What are my options? Do I just have to tough this out? I'm pretty scared.
Old 12-06-2011 at 05:28 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleStorm View Post
Title says it all, I felt like I was coming down with something sunday/monday, but was hoping it'd go away. Woke up today extremely exhausted, threw up, etc. etc. I can't focus on any of my studying because I'm insanely drowsy. My exams kick off Saturday. What are my options? Do I just have to tough this out? I'm pretty scared.
Look into getting most of your exams deferred, or at least the ones early into the period

apples12 likes this.
Old 12-06-2011 at 05:37 PM   #3
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

When will I write them if I have them deferred though?
Old 12-06-2011 at 05:40 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
When will I write them if I have them deferred though?
Reading week, I believe
Old 12-06-2011 at 05:42 PM   #5
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

I read through the medical forms and the deferral re-write dates are during reading week, which is pretty awful but it may be my only option.

If I wake up tomorrow feeling worse or just as bad I am going to visit a doctor. Is my best bet the campus medical centre as they may know the whole procedure and may even have the forms on hand? Or do they not have authorization? I'm pretty sure they are real doctors yes?

Last edited by TroubleStorm : 12-06-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2011 at 06:01 PM   #6
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
I read through the medical forms and the deferral re-write dates are during reading week, which is pretty awful but it may be my only option.

If I wake up tomorrow feeling worse or just as bad I am going to visit a doctor. Is my best bet the campus medical centre as they may know the whole procedure and may even have the forms on hand? Or do they not have authorization? I'm pretty sure they are real doctors yes?
Yes... they are real doctors. In fact, they are probably the best doctors I've been too. Absolutely love campus health.

Hope you feel better soon...
Old 12-06-2011 at 06:08 PM   #7
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

They are really lenient with deferred exams. They even let you defer it if you showed up too late due to waking up late or w/e.

However, it is not recommended unless you absolutely have to since you will have to retain all those things on the back of your mind until reading week.

EDIT:

this is why i recommend people to get the flu shot (unless you're allergic to the flu shot)

For a long time I never got the flu shot thinking I didn't need it. However, each winter I'd get the flu and come down with a really depressing illness. My friend, whom started to get the flu shot stopped getting sick during the winter. This could be a mere coincidence but I also took an indepth course on virology and immunology so a lot of the junk rumors you hear about the flu shots are certainly not true. The strains change every year so you need to get it every year, plus it's free.

Also, flu shots are "killed virus" vaccines so it's impossible to get the flu from the dead viruses in the vaccine. There are plenty of other rumours that are just dead out wrong but in any case. Just get the flu shot guys, it's FREE!

EDIT2:

You guys have also probably noticed the sheer number of sick people in lectures during the winter time. Everybody is coughing and sneezing. SHIT IS GOING DOWN.

Last edited by Krusenik : 12-06-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2011 at 06:20 PM   #8
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Yea, you're totally right. I always put off getting the flu shot because I never really gave a **** if I got sick. But being sick during exams is certainly not pleasant.

Its nice to hear they are very lenient with deferred exams, but I completely agree I do not want it to come to that. My studying is really getting messed up by this though. I just found out theres a walk in clinic very close to my place in the West End strip mall w/ crabby Joes. If I'm still feeling awful by midday tomorrow I may go over there with a printed out copy of the deferral form. Ugh. I'll make the call tomorrow. Thanks for all the help, back to bed!
Old 12-06-2011 at 06:21 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

me too! after finishing my esssay on the last day of school i was feeling sick already. Monday was supposed to start but didnt... ended up gaming/relaxing all day and felt better
Old 12-06-2011 at 06:23 PM   #10
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Does anyone know more about this type of thing? Is my exam written by the same professor? Is it the same exam everyones writing now, they just file off one of the versions for february or something?
Old 12-06-2011 at 06:27 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Does anyone know more about this type of thing? Is my exam written by the same professor? Is it the same exam everyones writing now, they just file off one of the versions for february or something?
Deferred exams are usually preformed by the same teacher in any form he/she sees fit. It'll cover the same material, and whether or not it will follow the same format/length/difficulty is up to the professor. One of the statements about this on one of my professor's course websites mention that the deferred examination can be oral, but I believe this is very rare and depends how much of an ass your prof is.
Old 12-06-2011 at 06:33 PM   #12
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

I HATE ORAL TESTS. I took my first one today and it was hard as hell. You can't just slither your way through it by saying key important words and try to get the right words to score the points in an answer cuz the prof will ask you to elaborate and then you're like shit.......i only memorized key things....
Old 12-06-2011 at 06:52 PM   #13
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Are deferred exams generally harder? I've been getting advised to bite the bullet no matter what and write them on time because deferred exams are much tougher. True?
Old 12-06-2011 at 08:32 PM   #14
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

I hope not, my situation is looking grim. :( One of my professors seems pretty lazy - all her questions are directly out of the textbook and there was only 1 version of midterms for a 400+ class.

But having to write an exam during reading week is a tall order...

If I decide to get that form filled out, I am to submit it to my associate dean prior to my exam right? I'm expected to get to the office when I have the flu? And they still have to process it and get back to me if I'm even approved I think. Maybe I'll just call them tomorrow if I decide to go through with it.

Last edited by TroubleStorm : 12-06-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2011 at 08:55 PM   #15
lux

Liked: 318 Times

I hear ya. That's why it's so important to stay healthy, sleep and eat right during the end of the term because the stress will lower your immune response leaving you more susceptible to infections!!!