MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what will be the chance I can come back school hellrise00 Academics 1 06-02-2010 11:43 AM
Business admission amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-22-2010 08:25 AM
Last Chance To Apply For Club Status Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-28-2007 11:11 AM
Still have a chance to be Maroon! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-19-2007 09:19 PM

Chance of Admission

Old 03-29-2009 at 10:53 PM   #1
microchip

Liked: 0 Times

Chance of Admission
Hey all. I applied to McMaster University for the Life Sciences program. Unfortunately, my average is only around 84 or 85 if I get really lucky. What are my chances of getting an offer of admission? I heard the anticipated cutoffs went up 4% for some reason... This really worries me as my average is only 84%.

sanahsameen says thanks to microchip for this post.
Old 03-29-2009 at 10:59 PM   #2
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Well, what exactly is the admission cut off for Life Sci? It would help to know where it was originally before the "4%" increase. I can't verify that, but it might be true considering that in the engineering faculty, the next year cut offs have also increased considerably.

As well, if I recalled correctly, it's not only a question of skimming by on the cut off line, but also a question of number of applicants. If you're really worried, you're only half way through your second semester in high school, so if you fear that much, you could push yourself to maybe bump that grade average up a percent. I mean, it is doable
Old 03-29-2009 at 11:00 PM   #3
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

Hey, well I can't really say you will get an offer since I don't know what this year cut-off is. But usually if you have mid to high 80s you should be okay, keep in mind they are still sending out acceptances.

And the reason the cut off went up (if it did) is probably due to an increase in the number of applicants this year to Mac.
Old 03-29-2009 at 11:41 PM   #4
microchip

Thank you for both your replies. The cutoff as stated on electronicinfo is 82-85%. I think it went to 86-88% (I think). That's why I'm scared.

I go to a non-semestered school and marks go out April 17. I don't know if the final end of year marks go out. If they did, I still have a chance. But if they don't, and April 17 is the final date to send out marks, my average will be only about 84.
Old 03-29-2009 at 11:48 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

If you really want to know call the department or visit their website. You're more likely to get the straight answer by calling because sometimes departmental websites don't get updated on time.

Old 03-30-2009 at 05:11 AM   #6
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by microchip View Post
Thank you for both your replies. The cutoff as stated on electronicinfo is 82-85%. I think it went to 86-88% (I think). That's why I'm scared.

I go to a non-semestered school and marks go out April 17. I don't know if the final end of year marks go out. If they did, I still have a chance. But if they don't, and April 17 is the final date to send out marks, my average will be only about 84.
you gotta hit that 86 at least to get into life sci..and those marks only go up to your semester 2 midterm..

I really dont know why a lot of the requirements have volted upward so much..even engineering went up significantly from last year...

Old 03-30-2009 at 06:48 AM   #7
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
I really dont know why a lot of the requirements have volted upward so much..even engineering went up significantly from last year...
its because of the recession, people getting laid off are going back for more school cause the market is lean right now

and 84 is a good average, don't worry chances are you will be ok.
Old 03-30-2009 at 05:37 PM   #8
sanahsameen

I am in the same situation as you! I always thought that the cut off was 82 - 85 and i was pretty sure that my average would be within the range, but I found out today that it went up!!!! I was soo depressed and dissappionted because theres barely a chance for me to get in! and life sci at mac is where i want to go. Im so mad that the cut off went up by so much! My average will proabably be around 84 as well. Well I hope for the best for both of us Hopefully we'll get in
Old 04-01-2009 at 09:47 PM   #9
miffy

just a question. what does it mean that the cut off is between 83 - 85? does that mean that the majority of the people they accept is between 83 - 85 or the majority of the people they accept is above 85 but will accept only a few people that is within the range of 83 - 85?

hope that kinda makes sense.
Old 04-01-2009 at 09:54 PM   #10
sanahsameen

I think it means that the majority of the people in the previos year had verages within that range, and that it an estimate of what it is going to be for the following year. For example, the cut off for 2008 admission was 82-85, and this was the cut-off estimation for Sept 2009 applicants, however, now the actaul cut off is determined to be 86-88 because that is the average range of most people who applied there.
hope that helped and hope it wasnt cnfusing
you could try calling mac and asking
or maybe someone who goes to mac can answer
Old 04-02-2009 at 07:58 AM   #11
miffy

thanks sanahsameen!
Old 04-20-2009 at 08:34 PM   #12
bingbong

Liked: Liked 2 Times

yeahh i was wondering the same thing..
my top six average (including all prerequisites) is 85.5%.

i hope my chances are good, since im only 0.5% below the cut-off.

i got accepted into envirosci anyways, just in case.

do you think i have a pretty good shot?
Old 04-20-2009 at 10:01 PM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I think you do. Wow. 86 is pretty high. anywho's if you applied to any of the other science programs at mcmaster... (seem to have lower cut offs) you could still take the same "life science" brand of courses..

bingbong says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 04-20-2009 at 10:19 PM   #14
bingbong

Liked: Liked 2 Times

haha thanks! i hope so too!

yeah that was my plan anyways, but i figure i'd still wait for life sci response before i accepted anything.

thanks though
Old 04-21-2009 at 08:51 AM   #15
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

In my opinion enviro sci is the better career path. I am graduating from biology this year and your employment options are pretty limited. You have med school (if you have the marks, volunteering, references) grad school/research, or teachers college. Beyond that there is not much out there for you in life sciences, and what is, is also related to enviro sci but has many more options.
If i was to do my undergrad over again I would probably do it in enviro sci because of the possibilities for a job.