MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing MAC ID shaan Academics 3 06-06-2012 12:59 PM
Changing Lab Session HanPark9205 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-10-2011 10:10 AM
Changing to other programs Faer Academics 6 06-02-2011 03:45 PM
Changing cores? ThagsanaR First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-18-2010 05:44 PM
Changing TT skelly89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-11-2008 10:20 AM

Changing Solar

Old 06-07-2012 at 08:55 AM   #1
scarletfire

Liked: 2 Times

Changing Solar
I'm entering 3rd year, so I feel the pain like everyone else in getting into SOLAR. Every year, I need to have 2-3 other people from other universities to help me get into it. My friends from UT pity me because it just takes them 5 min to get into ROSI (their version of SOLAR/MUGSI) and chose their courses. They don't spend hours clicking to get in.

So the purpose for me opening this thread is: is it possible to petition to the McMaster UTS or whoever that is responsible to increase it's server status? I'm pretty sure that administration know that this problem occurs every year.
Old 06-07-2012 at 09:40 AM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I believe efforts to accomplish this are underway. The project is worth a substantial amount of money (hundreds of thousands) and now its a problem of executing it. Like with the transfer to Gmail, there are several obstacles that the admin is required to overcome, I believe, including the magnitude of upgrading the system. I could be mistaken, but that's how I understand it. Anybody with more information is free to correct me.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-07-2012 at 09:57 AM   #3
Twinkle
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Why do you need 2-3 other people to log in? Are they trying to log in along with you? Well, no wonder MUGSI is overloaded.

icecubz, L'Étoile, Osama like this.
Old 06-07-2012 at 10:02 AM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I remember there was one of the SRA members a while back who mentioned, that they're still working on it, with a proposed date of 2013. Not sure if that timeline is still accurate though.

scarletfire says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

Vessi likes this.
Old 06-07-2012 at 11:42 AM   #5
scarletfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
Why do you need 2-3 other people to log in? Are they trying to log in along with you? Well, no wonder MUGSI is overloaded.
Well whenever I logged onto MUGSI, it's fine. It's just getting into SOLAR that's an issue. If it wasn't so overloaded in the first place, I wouldn't need 2-3 other people =p I'm assuming that other people are doing the same considering that I learned this trick from other people

VitaSoy likes this.
Old 06-07-2012 at 11:44 AM   #6
scarletfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I remember there was one of the SRA members a while back who mentioned, that they're still working on it, with a proposed date of 2013. Not sure if that timeline is still accurate though.
I remember there being an issue throughout the 2011-2012 school year that the SRA doesn't actually do anything, and that it needs to be more responsible/efficient. Would this SOLAR still be worked on, or is it just a topic that's there?
Old 06-07-2012 at 11:50 AM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
I remember there being an issue throughout the 2011-2012 school year that the SRA doesn't actually do anything, and that it needs to be more responsible/efficient. Would this SOLAR still be worked on, or is it just a topic that's there?
I think it's both an issue that's there and they've also started looking into it. I don't think the "working" part has progressed very much, because there's been no set dates like with the email change. Also, from what I remember, they wanted to change a lot of the IT infrastructure at Mac. So they still need a lot of time and money
Old 06-07-2012 at 12:23 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
I'm entering 3rd year, so I feel the pain like everyone else in getting into SOLAR. Every year, I need to have 2-3 other people from other universities to help me get into it. My friends from UT pity me because it just takes them 5 min to get into ROSI (their version of SOLAR/MUGSI) and chose their courses. They don't spend hours clicking to get in.

So the purpose for me opening this thread is: is it possible to petition to the McMaster UTS or whoever that is responsible to increase it's server status? I'm pretty sure that administration know that this problem occurs every year.
There is a detailed explanation of the process taking place somewhere on Macinsiders. Do a search for the thread (I believe it was Huzaifa who wrote the post), and actually learn about the issue before blindly suggesting something like a petition, which as you pointed out won't do anything anyways since it's not like the university isn't aware of the problem.
Old 06-07-2012 at 02:01 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Found it! Here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...+mugsi +solar

This one might also be worth checking out:http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...+mugsi +solar
Old 06-07-2012 at 02:27 PM   #10
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

I took an IT course last semester with the professor who is employed in the technical department at McMaster University. He is in charge of Mugsi/SOLAR/email, etc. He told us they're changing the system into one where everyone would have their own separate time slots to register but it'll take about 3-4 years from now to be finally in effect. Wouldn't benefit most of us anyway but all the best to future students!
Old 06-07-2012 at 02:34 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I took an IT course last semester with the professor who is employed in the technical department at McMaster University. He is in charge of Mugsi/SOLAR/email, etc. He told us they're changing the system into one where everyone would have their own separate time slots to register but it'll take about 3-4 years from now to be finally in effect. Wouldn't benefit most of us anyway but all the best to future students!
Doesn't ROSI work on similar scheduling? If UofT students don't complain (I haven't heard any complaints from my friends at UofT) then I don't see why it would be a problem at McMaster.
Old 06-07-2012 at 02:43 PM   #12
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Cant believe it takes you and 2-3 people over 3 hours to get in. Maybe try clicking the link more than once every half hour? if you really want to get in and just nonstop click on the link, you shouldnt have to wait more than 10 minutes tops. I got in 3 seperate times in the first hour that courses selection was available for my program.
Old 06-07-2012 at 04:00 PM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

There is literally only one problem with the way SOLAR is designed and I'm actually rather surprised that the school hasn't yet identified it: there aren't any waiting lists.

The SOLAR system is indeed old and crappy, but 90% of the issues with too much traffic are because people are just logging in to see if a course they'd like to take is available... over and over again.

If the school would just implement waiting lists, then even the current system (assumed to be running on an old server) would be satisfactory.

I remember them years ago saying it would cost $30,000,000 dollars to 'upgrade' the SOLAR/MUGSI infrastructure. I guess the person in charge of that decision was under the assumption that upgrading a web server means replacing the entire building it's housed in too... because I have no idea how else they could have come up with that figure, lol.
Old 06-07-2012 at 04:09 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
There is literally only one problem with the way SOLAR is designed and I'm actually rather surprised that the school hasn't yet identified it: there aren't any waiting lists.

The SOLAR system is indeed old and crappy, but 90% of the issues with too much traffic are because people are just logging in to see if a course they'd like to take is available... over and over again.

If the school would just implement waiting lists, then even the current system (assumed to be running on an old server) would be satisfactory.

I remember them years ago saying it would cost $30,000,000 dollars to 'upgrade' the SOLAR/MUGSI infrastructure. I guess the person in charge of that decision was under the assumption that upgrading a web server means replacing the entire building it's housed in too... because I have no idea how else they could have come up with that figure, lol.
It probably costs a premium because of all the security and sensitive information, but 30 million does sound pretty ridiculous.
Old 06-07-2012 at 04:21 PM   #15
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

This is my 4th year but 6th time using SOLAR (because of summer school) and I've never needed multiple log ins to get in. People do drop courses. I understand its frustrating sure but it's not the end of the world, to be blunt. You can still get into all of your courses with repeated but also wise attempts. For instance, repeatedly checking for a first year course when 4th years sign up may be unwise as the course capacities are mainly "locked" until the first year sign in date. You may find a few people getting some seats, but not many. Also, the timetable changes all summer. Conflicts do arise and people have to drop certain courses and take them later or rework their schedule.

Repeated tries into the system are unnecessary and probably cause you more of a headache than anything else.

I should clarify. I mean having other people try repeatedly with you or multiple times with you.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 06-08-2012 at 11:48 AM.