MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CHEM 20C3 Tutorials Zimonada Academics 0 08-17-2011 10:07 AM
Chem 1A03 Lab 2 Question? Jason036 Academics 3 10-04-2010 08:17 PM
Chem 1A03 Tutorials jamiebenyovi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-13-2010 08:18 PM
Question about CHEM 1A03/AA3 labs and tutorials VoyozooT Academics 2 06-25-2009 09:54 AM

Chem 1A03 - Question About Tutorials

Old 07-08-2012 at 04:20 PM   #1
lalalola2011

Liked: 4 Times

Chem 1A03 - Question About Tutorials
So, im just wondering what exactly do students do in the tutorials? Is it mandatory to attend? Cuz im hearing/read mixed things about it on the Course Review Section which is quite old now
Old 07-08-2012 at 04:24 PM   #2
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalola2011 View Post
So, im just wondering what exactly do students do in the tutorials? Is it mandatory to attend? Cuz im hearing/read mixed things about it on the Course Review Section which is quite old now
They're not mandatory. You usually just take up practice questions that are posted each week. You can also ask your TA questions from concepts that you didn't understand in lecture.

lalalola2011 says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.

lalalola2011 likes this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 04:27 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

there are a set of questions you work on in tutorial. the answers to these are posted at the end of each week.

lalalola2011 says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 07-08-2012 at 04:29 PM   #4
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalola2011 View Post
Personally, I found Chem tutorials to be a waste of time (I only went twice for Chem 1A03 tutorials). Basically, the TA makes you discuss the question set (which is posted on Avenue) with other students in the tutorial so that everyone understands how to do each question. They recommend that you attempt all the questions before coming to tutorial. Anyways, the questions were usually easy and the profs posted the full solutions for each problem at the end of the week anyways.
Old 07-08-2012 at 05:11 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I recommend going for tutorials unless you can't learn in a classroom setting.

I can learn material in lecture. I can learn when it's hands on. But the tutorials were always a bit too slow for me. That didn't mean I understood all of them. It was just not productive for me personally. If you're the type of person who will dedicate tutorial time to working on those problems or other things that will help you be more productive, don't go. If you have a difficult TA that you don't learn well from, find another tutorial. If you think it's just a waste of time and don't plan to do anything better with that time slot, might as well go and hear another explanation of the material in a different way.

This requires not kidding yourself. I.e. Let's say you know that you really waste a lot of time. It's been 2 weeks and of tutorial and you still haven't taught yourself much on your own and are still struggling. Then yes, you probably should go.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

lalalola2011 likes this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 09:53 PM   #6
Schen

Liked: 3 Times

Tutorials are not mandatory. Some people found it helpful; others didn't. I personally did not find it to be useful as the TA did absolutely nothing during my tutorial. Even when I had asked him a specific question, he couldn't help much. But if you encounter this case next year, you can always sit in another tutorial if you want - they don't take attendance.

lalalola2011 likes this.