MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone take chem 1a03 and chem 1aa3 during the summer? macbaby07 Academics 0 05-03-2010 05:47 PM

Chem 1AA3

Old 04-17-2011 at 01:56 PM   #46
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Whew...hopefully the answer was 5...? I guessed it because I had no idea...LOL.
Old 04-17-2011 at 02:04 PM   #47
P.Avci

Liked: 2 Times

i asked one of the prof's during the exam about that question and he said that the arrow was meant to be pointed to the oxygen even though it didn't look like it
Old 04-17-2011 at 02:14 PM   #48
Faer
Elite Member

That's totally unfair. I remember the question was something like 'What /must/ be wrong', and that arrow flying off over O was definitely wrong.

What, they couldn't have clarified it verbally?
Old 04-17-2011 at 02:14 PM   #49
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Avci View Post
i asked one of the prof's during the exam about that question and he said that the arrow was meant to be pointed to the oxygen even though it didn't look like it
But how is that our fault? ... They should give out full marks for choosing that answer because it is wrong. The other arrows in that same question were correctly pointing to the right atom. (I, Br, etc)
Old 04-17-2011 at 05:20 PM   #50
P.Avci

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategy View Post
But how is that our fault? ... They should give out full marks for choosing that answer because it is wrong. The other arrows in that same question were correctly pointing to the right atom. (I, Br, etc)
I chose the one where the carbon was bonded to the I and two other carbons because it didnt have a positive charge in the middle like the others, but yea I definately agree they should give out full marks for both answers, I chose that answer until I asked the prof. They should have told everyone in the exam rooms that the arrow was pointing to the oxygen, I'm sure I wasnt the only person to ask that question and I dont understand how that wouldn't have alerted them that it was creating confusion and should be cleared up.
Old 04-17-2011 at 05:40 PM   #51
Faer
Elite Member

^Yes, that. I'm seriously going to be annoyed if I lose marks on that, especially since my exam was worth 55%, and each question wrong means I lose ~1.5%.

EDIT: I thought of asking the prof to clarify it, but then I looked at the arrow again and it was off by like...3/4 mm. The misdirection was obvious, so I thought the question would be unecessary. :/
Old 04-17-2011 at 05:59 PM   #52
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
^Yes, that. I'm seriously going to be annoyed if I lose marks on that, especially since my exam was worth 55%, and each question wrong means I lose ~1.5%.

EDIT: I thought of asking the prof to clarify it, but then I looked at the arrow again and it was off by like...3/4 mm. The misdirection was obvious, so I thought the question would be unecessary. :/
The issue is that we won't know if the profs will change the marking scheme for the question, because the exams and solutions aren't posted, so we won't know if they'll acknowledge it >.<

I may email Landry later. I'm not in Hamilton so I can't go ask him.
Old 04-17-2011 at 08:39 PM   #53
Faer
Elite Member

Yeah, that's the thing! I've checked the boards, but they're, of course, dead now. And I'm not sure Landry or any other prof would be checking them now anyway.

I would email Landry, except...I'mkindofsca redofhim.
Old 04-17-2011 at 08:48 PM   #54
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamalf View Post
what was the answer you ended up for that
3-pentanone, i think was the one that you couldn't make. at least that's what my answer was, and honestly, all i remember is that it looked a lot like 3-pentanone, it was a 5-6 carbon alkane with a double bonded oxygen near the middle
Old 04-17-2011 at 09:04 PM   #55
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
3-pentanone, i think was the one that you couldn't make. at least that's what my answer was, and honestly, all i remember is that it looked a lot like 3-pentanone, it was a 5-6 carbon alkane with a double bonded oxygen near the middle
I got that answer as well.

Old 04-17-2011 at 09:38 PM   #56
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
yeah i got that one too but i was asking about the other question where its aasking how many isomers C6H8 had
Old 04-17-2011 at 09:50 PM   #57
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamalf View Post
yeah i got that one too but i was asking about the other question where its aasking how many isomers C6H8 had
It was C5H8 wasn't it. Substituted cyclopropene I believe. I got 5.

Edit: Sorry my drawing is shit but:

Last edited by RememberTwce : 04-17-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2011 at 10:18 PM   #58
Faer
Elite Member

W00t! If it was five, I might just have lucked out on a guess!
Old 04-17-2011 at 10:40 PM   #59
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

yea its 5. you know for the question that asked you about the free radicals Br2 being added to butane, was the answer all of the above is true, or ii) iii) and Iv) are false?
Old 04-17-2011 at 11:14 PM   #60
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmp1234 View Post
yea its 5. you know for the question that asked you about the free radicals Br2 being added to butane, was the answer all of the above is true, or ii) iii) and Iv) are false?
That's the only 3-marker I think I got wrong because I through the lecture and didn't read the slide at all.

I put III and IV are false but I definitely think I'm wrong.