MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone take chem 1a03 and chem 1aa3 during the summer? macbaby07 Academics 0 05-03-2010 05:47 PM
Should I take Chem 1AA3 in the summer? nila* Academics 7 04-30-2009 11:49 PM
Chem 1aa3 summer school~ demelo_b General Discussion 0 04-21-2009 05:36 PM

chem 1aa3 in summer at another uni

Old 04-09-2010 at 11:59 PM   #1
eyecandy

Liked: 0 Times

chem 1aa3 in summer at another uni
so I know if I take a summer course at another uni, it'd only show as pass/fail on the transcript. so I'm assuming if I take a course equivalent to chem 1aa3 at another uni, it wouldn't count towards my average for level II admission? I did pretty bad in chem 1a03, and it has already brought down my CA. pretty sure i won't come out of chem 1aa3 with a decent mark either, and i wouldn't want it to lower down my average any further. at first I was thinking maybe utm, but i hear they don't offer 1st year chem in summer, plus it's a full year course. does anyone know if this is true? also; does anyone know if york offers a program in summer equivalent to mac chem 1aa3?
Old 04-10-2010 at 10:39 AM   #2
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

I'm pretty sure first year chem at UTM is full year. Not sure about York though.
Old 04-10-2010 at 10:49 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecandy View Post
so I know if I take a summer course at another uni, it'd only show as pass/fail on the transcript. so I'm assuming if I take a course equivalent to chem 1aa3 at another uni, it wouldn't count towards my average for level II admission? I did pretty bad in chem 1a03, and it has already brought down my CA. pretty sure i won't come out of chem 1aa3 with a decent mark either, and i wouldn't want it to lower down my average any further. at first I was thinking maybe utm, but i hear they don't offer 1st year chem in summer, plus it's a full year course. does anyone know if this is true? also; does anyone know if york offers a program in summer equivalent to mac chem 1aa3?
That's correct. You should take into account that if you apply to graduate or professional school and first year general chemistry is a requirement, then they will be able to pull your transcript from the school you took the course at. So it still counts in your application average.
Old 04-10-2010 at 01:51 PM   #4
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecandy View Post
at first I was thinking maybe utm, but i hear they don't offer 1st year chem in summer, plus it's a full year course. does anyone know if this is true? also; does anyone know if york offers a program in summer equivalent to mac chem 1aa3?
1. True - first year chemistry is a full year course at UTM.

2. A list of all the chemistry courses that York is offering this summer can be found here. I skimmed through the courses, and it seems like Chem 1001 is equivalent to Chem 1AA3. However, you should speak with the Registrar’s office regarding the equivalency of the two courses.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-10-2010 at 02:54 PM   #5
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/lop/equiv2.php

lbqjenny says thanks to aaront for this post.
Old 04-10-2010 at 03:12 PM   #6
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
According to the above link, chemistry 1001 at York is in fact equivalent to chemistry 1AA3. It is also only half a year (unlike UTM).

If you don’t want to commute to York/UTM/wherever you decide to take summer school, you could also take a Chem 1AA3 equivalent course online (i.e., CHEM 218 at Athabasca University)
Old 04-10-2010 at 04:07 PM   #7
eyecandy

Liked: 0 Times

thanks for the link, that was very useful!
as for the online course, wouldn't I have to go there in person to write the exam?

since utm and york is closest from where I live, and utm doesn't offer chem course, utm would definitely opt out of my option which leaves me with york.. or just stick to the course offered at mac. But the thing is, I'm already used to how things work here at mac and I guess I can get previous notes/quizzes from other people, whereas it'd be completely different environment if I take it at York. should I be considering that fact when I decide where to take it ?

thanks all for the help, btw!