MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone take chem 1a03 and chem 1aa3 during the summer? macbaby07 Academics 0 05-03-2010 05:47 PM
chem 1aa3 in summer at another uni eyecandy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 04-10-2010 04:07 PM
Chem 1aa3 summer school~ demelo_b General Discussion 0 04-21-2009 05:36 PM

Should I take Chem 1AA3 in the summer?

Old 04-30-2009 at 01:17 PM   #1
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Should I take Chem 1AA3 in the summer?
I just finished first year engineering and I'm hoping to get into biomedical and electrical engineering. After looking at the course load I thought it would be wise to get ahead and take chem 1AA3 in the summer. It's a three hour lecture and a 3 hour lab, but if I can get my schedule to work out i will only have to commute to mac once a week (from toronto)

I was wondering if anyone has taken it in the summer or during the year and has any advice as to whether this is a good idea.

thanks in advance
Old 04-30-2009 at 01:28 PM   #2
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

I have never taken the course, but from what I hear, it requires a lot of effort. It would certainly be a good idea to take it early. Are you absolutely sure you are getting in to youre program though? Bio is hard to get into, though other programs also require that course.

If you are sure i definetly reccommend getting ahead, because it will be one less stressful course youd have to worry about during the year. If you aren't sure you'd get into your program, it could probably be used as a technical elective, though there are far more interesting courses that you can use for tech-elecs.
Old 04-30-2009 at 03:54 PM   #3
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

lol how are you so sure ur in biomed already and if they let u take chem 1AA3 in advance? is your gpa really high or something?
Old 04-30-2009 at 04:05 PM   #4
nila*

I already talked to sally williams, the first year advisor for engineering about it and she said i would be allowed as I have the pre-req for it and its offered in second term so by then I will have already found out if I got in
Old 04-30-2009 at 04:10 PM   #5
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

anyone who passed 1A03 in first year should be allowed to take 1AA3.

What we are asking is if you have a guarenteed seat in Elec and Bio. If you do, then definetly take the course.

If you do not, then I would hesitate to just take the course because then it would probably count as a technical elective, and there are far more interesting technical electives out there for you to take.
Old 04-30-2009 at 11:21 PM   #6
nila*

i'm pretty sure I'm going to get in, but i was just wondering if it was better to take it during the summer or during the year, I heard it was quite hard but it would also be nice to have more time to let the material sink in.
Old 04-30-2009 at 11:34 PM   #7
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Hey! I took 1aa3 in the summer, for the same reasons as you - wanted to get it out of the way. The labs are a real pain imo, 3 hours of your life spent. And I believe elec & biomed is pretty hard, so taking it ahead would certainly lighten your load next year.

I had a high school teacher as the instructor for the class. He was really good and explained it really well. I did better than I did in 1E03, probably because that was the only course I focused on. hmm I thought the course had two 3hr lectures/week so I don't really know how you would be able to just commute to mac once a week. Anyways if you don't like it, you can always drop early and still get your money back.

nila* says thanks to zoyy for this post.
Old 04-30-2009 at 11:49 PM   #8
nila*

lol i read the master timetable wrong

thanks a lot