MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
chem 1r03, can i take it? jitnikovi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-02-2011 11:30 PM
ECON 1BB3 or CHEM 1R03? MacAttk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-02-2010 11:02 AM
CHEM 1R03 for someone who cant even balance an equation ! MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-30-2010 09:14 PM
Chem 1R03 Textbook? Mamber First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 12-05-2009 11:59 AM

Chem 1R03

Old 12-31-2012 at 07:42 PM   #1
David.O

Liked: 0 Times

Chem 1R03
I'm looking for a description of the course from anyone who has taken it, regarding content, the marking scheme and overall difficulty (or easiness).

In case it factors into your response, I took grade 12 chem, but that was three years ago so I'm probably a bit rusty. I'm looking for a first year science or math elective with a lighter workload that's relatively interesting. Currently, I'm registered in Envir Sc 1A03, but I'm thinking of switching out. Suggestions are welcome.
Old 12-31-2012 at 11:14 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.O View Post
I'm looking for a description of the course from anyone who has taken it, regarding content, the marking scheme and overall difficulty (or easiness).

In case it factors into your response, I took grade 12 chem, but that was three years ago so I'm probably a bit rusty. I'm looking for a first year science or math elective with a lighter workload that's relatively interesting. Currently, I'm registered in Envir Sc 1A03, but I'm thinking of switching out. Suggestions are welcome.
If you got over 80% in grade 12 chem then you aren't even allowed to take 1R03.

In terms of suggestions, I'd recommend kin 1Y03, but that's only offered first term, so if you need it this year then that won't really help you much.
Old 01-01-2013 at 12:21 PM   #3
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

Environmental Science 1B03 You will talk about ecology (very easy to learn), soil and water components (more like geology which I find somewhat interesting and boring at the same time) because there are some parts that discuss some issues in pollution, environmental degradation, and some management (what can you do type of thing). Also last parts of the material is interesting and captive because it covers human population growth, global warming, waste management, etc. Labs are somewhat annoying but is quickly to do because most labs are finished at lab time. There are 1 soil lab and couple of other dry labs (its dry but easy mark you most people in the course got atleast 70%), Easy online quizzes best 1 out of 3 attempts, you can just googled it lol and got atleast 80%! Essay where you will choose a topic from the list of articles given by the professor/ta, not hectic to do as long as you do it early. It was easily mark by ta even though some people just have worst essay lmao but it was fair because many bonus marks are given. Overall, there is moderate amount of work but is not heavy as other science courses. Environmental Science 1B03 is a mark booster, somewhat interesting, don't buy the textbook, go to class take notes because Bernier final exam is straightforward to the lecture notes.

As for the KIN 1Y03, very interesting but memorization is so heavy and I'm sure that next year it will not be open to other non-science students. Hope this helps