MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CHEM 2E03 or (2OA3 and 2OB3 in summer)? [CHEM ENG] jon.john23 Academics 9 04-19-2012 10:19 AM
Chem 2E03 antirequisite of Chem 2OA3? Mr.Prodigy Academics 22 12-04-2010 07:32 PM

Chem 2OA3 Exam Help?

Old 06-08-2012 at 08:33 PM   #1
oxelhs

Liked: 11 Times

Chem 2OA3 Exam Help?
Got my exam in a week or so and I'm wondering other than the book, is there a list of all the reactions/mechanisms we need to know (maybe ppl from past years have had some kind of big chart they referred to)? Seems like we've gone over so many reagents and they all start to blur at some point...
Old 06-08-2012 at 08:40 PM   #2
Juliann

Liked: 3 Times

If you think 2OA3 is a lot of reagents, don't bother taking 2OB3. Anyways, the text book should suffice to do well in the course. If I'm not mistaken, there's a very helpful chart provided in the Klein textbook. A lot of people make their own flow charts for Orgo, but knowing all your reagents and solvents is key for the exam. Additionally, make sure you know your stereochem; that's super high yield on the exam. Get ready to apply all of the concepts you're currently learning to real life examples. In 2OB3, Capretta (Prof) asked us to make a drug which requires you knowing your reagents inside and out. Same goes for 2OA3, but luckily, you need to know A LOT LESS. Besides that, your textbook is a great reference and really is all you need.

Anyways, good luck.
Old 06-08-2012 at 11:12 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliann View Post
If you think 2OA3 is a lot of reagents, don't bother taking 2OB3. Anyways, the text book should suffice to do well in the course. If I'm not mistaken, there's a very helpful chart provided in the Klein textbook. A lot of people make their own flow charts for Orgo, but knowing all your reagents and solvents is key for the exam. Additionally, make sure you know your stereochem; that's super high yield on the exam. Get ready to apply all of the concepts you're currently learning to real life examples. In 2OB3, Capretta (Prof) asked us to make a drug which requires you knowing your reagents inside and out. Same goes for 2OA3, but luckily, you need to know A LOT LESS. Besides that, your textbook is a great reference and really is all you need.

Anyways, good luck.
I found the exact opposite. I thought 2OA3 had a lot of reagents and conditions and the reactions all seemed kind of random, whereas in 2OB3 it was all pretty much the same thing over and over, a million slight variations but pretty much all the same concept and similar conditions for each.

And yeah, I remember Capretta's Hoffmann elimination question being a b*tch. The one where you have to work backwards to find the initial structure...gah. That question made me angry. The rest of the exam was fine though

Last edited by nerual : 06-09-2012 at 02:53 PM.

arathbon, biochemer like this.
Old 06-08-2012 at 11:15 PM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

I still need to open my book. Hopefully 4 solid days will do me fine.
Old 06-09-2012 at 12:50 PM   #5
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I have a big 4 page flow chart I made. No clue if it matches the course after they changed the textbook, nor where I've left it.

nerual likes this.
Old 06-09-2012 at 02:52 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I have a big 4 page flow chart I made. No clue if it matches the course after they changed the textbook, nor where I've left it.
This.

Making the chart yourself will help you so much more than using somebody else's.