MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
grade requirements for chem/bioengineering houghrc Academics 1 02-20-2015 10:20 PM
bioengineering and chemical engineering djokie Introduce Yourself 0 11-10-2013 03:54 PM
Interested in Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering superman208 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 12-26-2012 01:48 PM
Chemical and Bioengineering requisites failed? John Dagger Academics 4 06-17-2010 09:16 PM

Chem and Bioengineering

Old 05-19-2015 at 07:38 PM   #1
nashsth

Liked: 0 Times

Chem and Bioengineering
Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding "Chem and Bioengineering" program offered at Mcmaster. I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer any of them

1) Do you guys recommend the chem and bioengineering field? My first choice is/used to be mechatronics, but I recently discovered chem and bioengineering, and now I’m having a hard time choosing between these two. I like mechatronics because I would be getting good exposure to mechanical, software, and electrical engineering, and so I would ultimately have a fairly versatile degree. Plus, as far as I know, all three fields of engineering are highly in-demand. I like chem and bioengineering because it is health related and so the job prospects will always be good. Plus, it is also a versatile degree like mechatronics, since it is a combination of biology, chemistry and engineering in general. I don’t exactly *hate* biology but I much prefer NOT memorizing things, and instead deriving things like you would in math for example. However, my memorization skills aren’t too shabby, so I think I would be alright with taking biology as well.

2) If I didn’t take biology 11 or 12 can I still apply?

3) I got a free choice for 2nd year engineering. Will this apply to chem and bioengineering?

4) Is there such a thing as chem and bioengineering with co-op?

Thanks!

- Nash
Old 05-19-2015 at 09:30 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashsth View Post
Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding "Chem and Bioengineering" program offered at Mcmaster. I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer any of them

1) Do you guys recommend the chem and bioengineering field? My first choice is/used to be mechatronics, but I recently discovered chem and bioengineering, and now I’m having a hard time choosing between these two. I like mechatronics because I would be getting good exposure to mechanical, software, and electrical engineering, and so I would ultimately have a fairly versatile degree. Plus, as far as I know, all three fields of engineering are highly in-demand. I like chem and bioengineering because it is health related and so the job prospects will always be good. Plus, it is also a versatile degree like mechatronics, since it is a combination of biology, chemistry and engineering in general. I don’t exactly *hate* biology but I much prefer NOT memorizing things, and instead deriving things like you would in math for example. However, my memorization skills aren’t too shabby, so I think I would be alright with taking biology as well.

3) I got a free choice for 2nd year engineering. Will this apply to chem and bioengineering?

Thanks!

- Nash
1) It's not about job prospects: It's about what you will actually enjoy. Based on your current description of preferences, you don't seem to be passionate about Chem & Bio --- you have a passion for a perceived job market. Only you will be able to answer (1) if you do the appropriate networking with senior students and staff in the department, when you come to Mac (plenty of time).

2) Bio is not required.

3) Free choice doesn't apply to Chem Bio

4) Yes. Anyone can sign up for co-op; similarly, anyone can get a job when you get 4 months off from May-August (inclusive). You find the co-op though; and it will probably be in a research-related field.

nashsth likes this.
Old 05-20-2015 at 12:18 AM   #3
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

Mechatronics vs Chem and bioengineering? You've chosen two programs that don't have much in common at all. But I can see that you're a prospective student so I understand the disparity.
Mechatronics does deal with mechanical, software, and electrical while chem and bioengineering deals with chemical eng as well as a lot of biology and biochem courses. You have to keep in mind that these science courses do require more memorization.
If you're interested in electrical but also interested in doing something "health related" why not consider Elec and biomed?

I also think you should base your decision of which program you choose on what you enjoy doing or what really interests you. Being fresh out of high school you may not know exactly where your interests lie or you may have a wide range of interests but are not sure of what you would enjoy most. This is why having a general first year program helps. You should definitely wait and see how first year goes because it usually helps a lot in helping people decide what they're most passionate about. While first year courses like chemistry and physics aren't exactly indicative of what chemical or electrical engineering are like (for example), they do help you narrow down what interests you and what areas you may excel in.
You could also try to find out more about what kinds of work different engineers do and what type of problems they try to solve. For example in mechatronics you may get to design robots for different purposes while a chem and bio engineer would produce new drug delivery methods.. etc. Don't worry about job prospects, the jobs are there but you can't guarantee yourself a job anyway.

nashsth likes this.
Old 05-22-2015 at 05:16 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashsth View Post

As a note, all it is just learning anatomy and bio courses on top of eng. It isn't like the US where they actually teach u bioengineering. You may be exposed to ideas and concepts but it's more bio learning
Ya
I believe so. Not sure about specialties but pretty sure yes
Yes, you just take an extra year to do coop (or do it in summer)

Thanks!

- Nash
See quote

nashsth likes this.
Old 05-23-2015 at 02:10 PM   #5
KAB:)

Liked: 11 Times

Hey, thought I would chime in as a past chem and bio person. 5 years ago, chem and bio was included in free choice while bio med and elec was not, but I don't know if that has changed.

The bio aspect of the chemical engineering is not a lot of "bio engineering" courses as it is with biomed and elec. Its a lot of biochemistry course (memory based, multiple choice tests). The courses are different style then most of your engineering courses, which tend to be problem solving and critical thinking.

If I'm being honest, if I were to go back and do it again, I would not pick bio, I would have done straight chem eng or done chem eng with a minor in computer science because I like programming. I am not a fan of plug and chug memory questions, I like to solve things out on tests. I did an internship for 16 months which put me at 6 years before finishing, and the internship was a far far more valuable year for me than the bio was, especially in terms of getting a job as I got hired straight out of my co-op. For the field I ended up focusing in and getting a job in, waste water, the bio was no advantage, as I could have gotten the same job and taken the same relevant courses from straight chem. I know many of the students in my class felt similarly (as in easily 50%) that they would not have done bio. The catch with the chem and bio is that you take intro bio and anatomy in second year, and a lot of biochem courses in 3rd year, which push the chem eng courses that your straight chem people are taking back an extra year. By the time you hit 3rd year, the bio people are a far enough step behind the straight chem people that you can't just drop it and do straight chem and graduate in four years, it would take you the five anyway. So if you take bio and decide you don't want it, drop it second year.

That being said, I loved the chem eng program, the people I got to meet, and everything about it. I have nothing but great things to say about Chem eng. The courses are challenging, interesting, and fair, and it really does set you up for a wide variety of fields (oil and gas, automotive, process control, food manufacturing, waste water, pharmaceuticals, power generation, etc). My internship was open to chemical and mechanical engineers, so you have a lot of the same basics as mechanical engineers as well.

In contrast to my personal opinion, there were also people who really liked the bio (people who wanted to work for pharmaceutical companies, the bio helped given some relevant background info). If that's the direction you want to go, say you want to work for sanofi pasteur or get into the medical field in an engineering way, then the bio is a definite plus on your resume and can help you find a co-op job or a job in your field.

Mechatronics leads to a pretty different career selection. My room mate throughout most of university was in mechatronics, and to my recollection she has a lot of overlap with software and electrical engineers. It seemed a lot more software and less mechanical, but im sure someone in tron could tell you more about that than I could. She loved the program, but I remember her saying that she didn't have a lot of electives (if you wanted, you could always do society and minor in something to correct this problem). She works as a software engineer now.

So really, it depends on what kind of career you see yourself in and what field you want to work in. Feel free to message me if you have questions about chem and bio.

nashsth says thanks to KAB:) for this post.

nashsth likes this.
Old 05-24-2015 at 07:01 PM   #6
nashsth

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks everyone for your input You've all been tremendously helpful
Old 05-25-2015 at 07:51 PM   #7
Defroster

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB:) View Post
Hey, thought I would chime in as a past chem and bio person. 5 years ago, chem and bio was included in free choice while bio med and elec was not, but I don't know if that has changed.

The bio aspect of the chemical engineering is not a lot of "bio engineering" courses as it is with biomed and elec. Its a lot of biochemistry course (memory based, multiple choice tests). The courses are different style then most of your engineering courses, which tend to be problem solving and critical thinking.

If I'm being honest, if I were to go back and do it again, I would not pick bio, I would have done straight chem eng or done chem eng with a minor in computer science because I like programming. I am not a fan of plug and chug memory questions, I like to solve things out on tests. I did an internship for 16 months which put me at 6 years before finishing, and the internship was a far far more valuable year for me than the bio was, especially in terms of getting a job as I got hired straight out of my co-op. For the field I ended up focusing in and getting a job in, waste water, the bio was no advantage, as I could have gotten the same job and taken the same relevant courses from straight chem. I know many of the students in my class felt similarly (as in easily 50%) that they would not have done bio. The catch with the chem and bio is that you take intro bio and anatomy in second year, and a lot of biochem courses in 3rd year, which push the chem eng courses that your straight chem people are taking back an extra year. By the time you hit 3rd year, the bio people are a far enough step behind the straight chem people that you can't just drop it and do straight chem and graduate in four years, it would take you the five anyway. So if you take bio and decide you don't want it, drop it second year.

That being said, I loved the chem eng program, the people I got to meet, and everything about it. I have nothing but great things to say about Chem eng. The courses are challenging, interesting, and fair, and it really does set you up for a wide variety of fields (oil and gas, automotive, process control, food manufacturing, waste water, pharmaceuticals, power generation, etc). My internship was open to chemical and mechanical engineers, so you have a lot of the same basics as mechanical engineers as well.

In contrast to my personal opinion, there were also people who really liked the bio (people who wanted to work for pharmaceutical companies, the bio helped given some relevant background info). If that's the direction you want to go, say you want to work for sanofi pasteur or get into the medical field in an engineering way, then the bio is a definite plus on your resume and can help you find a co-op job or a job in your field.

Mechatronics leads to a pretty different career selection. My room mate throughout most of university was in mechatronics, and to my recollection she has a lot of overlap with software and electrical engineers. It seemed a lot more software and less mechanical, but im sure someone in tron could tell you more about that than I could. She loved the program, but I remember her saying that she didn't have a lot of electives (if you wanted, you could always do society and minor in something to correct this problem). She works as a software engineer now.

So really, it depends on what kind of career you see yourself in and what field you want to work in. Feel free to message me if you have questions about chem and bio.
I agree with pretty much everything in your post (also a Chem & Bio grad). I didn't aspire to end up working at sanofi but that is where I currently am and am very happy with that choice. Its a very solid job with very solid pay(+benefits and pension). I don't even use much of the Bio background but I wouldn't have my job without it.