MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chemical Biology - Q&a sarrah66 Academics 4 08-09-2010 08:39 PM
does anyone have 2nd yr used chemical biology books? oDianao Academics 1 08-09-2010 08:15 PM
Chemical Biology prerequisites fraunbea Academics 6 06-29-2010 09:14 PM
Chemical Biology Schedules goodnews.inc Academics 0 02-21-2010 05:41 PM

Chemical Biology and The 30 Spots

Old 03-06-2010 at 06:34 PM   #1
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Chemical Biology and The 30 Spots
It's stated on the Chem 1AA3 ELM site that enrolment is limited to 30 students.
I especially like the chemistry aspect but never considered Honours Chemistry because of the 2 Physics requirements (1B03, 1BA3) and the need for yet another Math.
What other alternatives do I have, or does anybody have suggestions on surviving those 3?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-06-2010 at 07:35 PM   #2
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

I am give you some advice on Chem Bio...I am in the program and it is not easy to get into. You need a strong background in chem...PM me if you would like details

goodnews.inc says thanks to manu for this post.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 03-07-2010 at 12:35 AM   #3
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

If you have half-decent GPA, you should be able to get into any second year program you want. Apply for it as one of your slots and hope that you get in .

goodnews.inc says thanks to macsci for this post.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 03-07-2010 at 12:47 AM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
It's stated on the Chem 1AA3 ELM site that enrolment is limited to 30 students.
I especially like the chemistry aspect but never considered Honours Chemistry because of the 2 Physics requirements (1B03, 1BA3) and the need for yet another Math.
What other alternatives do I have, or does anybody have suggestions on surviving those 3?
My suggestion is, apply for what you want to apply for (without worrying about a couple of obscure courses you'll need as pre-reqs)...don't be afraid of some first year courses getting in your way.

Think about it...once you suffer through any bs courses you don't care about, you'll be doing what you _really_ want to...after the fact...would it have been worth a couple of courses stopping you from doing what you wanted? Do you really want to settle for 'second best' simply because you don't want to take a course or two?

This seems to be a popular mindset for university students, to try and take the 'easier' route because they feel they can't survive...but don't fall into this trap, I assure you, you will survive. (: Just make sure you nail down what it is you enjoy.

Remember: A course lasts a semester, but your career will last the rest of your life.

(EDIT: And I'm your source for math (and some basic physics) help, if you need someone to drag you through)

Last edited by Mowicz : 03-07-2010 at 12:52 AM.

goodnews.inc, mcmastergcdb, xo.monica all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 03-07-2010 at 02:05 AM   #5
Pat S.

Liked: 1 Time

I'm currently in the Honours Chemistry program. The reason for those physics pre reqs is because a lot of the material is required as background knowledge. There is a ton of overlap between the two fields (aka not bs courses) Not to mention, just like most courses in chemistry, physics is all problem based, which is much nicer than all the memorizing of biology

goodnews.inc says thanks to Pat S. for this post.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 03-09-2010 at 10:08 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Well Chem Bio is my first option, Chemistry my second and Biochem my third.
I have another question about summer school.
When are conditional offers offered? (I know for any Bio based program or program involving Bio my offer will be conditional on completion of Bio 1A03 this summer)
If I get into Chemistry, I will still take Bio 1A03, but I'll also take Physics 1B03 versus Orgo 2OA3. Registration starts on the 22nd and I'd just like to know in advance

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-10-2010 at 10:06 PM   #7
Dawoodc

Liked: 0 Times

Don't take Chem Bio imo. You'll regret it all of your 2nd year and then you'll switch out anyway.

Chem Bio students take a crap load of labs. A crap load...and a lot of them don't work. My year was the 1st year the program was introduced, and every lab lasted more than 1 hour than the scheduled time due to the labs not working properly.

Lots of marks got shifted...hard work load + brings your GPA down. A lot of it is useless knowledge too.

Can tell you one thing though...it's not limited or anything to 30 people. They offer it to whoever applies. Select it and you got it. They hype it up so much because 1) it's still a new program 2) you're still a guinea pig for it 3) they know most people won't try it unless they make it sound exclusive.

goodnews.inc says thanks to Dawoodc for this post.
Old 03-10-2010 at 10:57 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawoodc View Post
Don't take Chem Bio imo. You'll regret it all of your 2nd year and then you'll switch out anyway.

Chem Bio students take a crap load of labs. A crap load...and a lot of them don't work. My year was the 1st year the program was introduced, and every lab lasted more than 1 hour than the scheduled time due to the labs not working properly.

Lots of marks got shifted...hard work load + brings your GPA down. A lot of it is useless knowledge too.

Can tell you one thing though...it's not limited or anything to 30 people. They offer it to whoever applies. Select it and you got it. They hype it up so much because 1) it's still a new program 2) you're still a guinea pig for it 3) they know most people won't try it unless they make it sound exclusive.
Would you recommend just Chemistry as a major then?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-11-2010 at 10:00 AM   #9
Dawoodc

Liked: 0 Times

Yeah, I would, if that's what you're interested in. Any Core programs > specialized ones.

Take a look at the Honors Chemistry and Chem Bio programs in 3rd/4th year:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1546.html

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1553.html

With Chemistry, you get a ton more freedom. You can take Chem Bio courses if you wanted in the chemistry program, or any other course(s).

However, the Chem Bio program has a lot of required courses in 3rd/4th year. Check them out individually, as a at least 2-3 are lab courses, or the electives you have to choose from are lab courses.

If you really want Chem Bio and are fine with the workload, go for it. But remember, on top of the extra workload, you only get a degree title difference.

goodnews.inc says thanks to Dawoodc for this post.
Old 03-11-2010 at 12:42 PM   #10
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Well Chem Bio is my first option, Chemistry my second and Biochem my third.
I have another question about summer school.
When are conditional offers offered? (I know for any Bio based program or program involving Bio my offer will be conditional on completion of Bio 1A03 this summer)
If I get into Chemistry, I will still take Bio 1A03, but I'll also take Physics 1B03 versus Orgo 2OA3. Registration starts on the 22nd and I'd just like to know in advance
Conditional offers are given out at the same time as normal offers (I believe sometime in May). However, in order to receive a conditional offer, you must be registered in the prerequisite course (in your case, you must be registered in Bio 1A03 in order to receive a conditional offer from any Bio based program).

goodnews.inc says thanks to rrtt for this post.
Old 03-11-2010 at 04:43 PM   #11
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

"If you really want Chem Bio and are fine with the workload, go for it. But remember, on top of the extra workload, you only get a degree title difference."

It's not even the workload that's a lot, it's just hard to get good marks depending on the course. I'm assuming, of course, that marks are important - if they don't matter to you then go for it.

It's easy to keep up with any course, but if you can't 12 a course because the tests/marking/whatever is just so hard, then yeah, that sucks to say the least.