Chemical Biology and The 30 Spots goodnews.inc Academics 10 03-11-2010 04:43 PM
Chemical Biology Schedules goodnews.inc Academics 0 02-21-2010 05:41 PM
Chemical Biology vs. Biochemistry dchan28 Academics 3 06-30-2009 10:26 PM

Chemical Biology prerequisites

Old 06-29-2010 at 09:16 AM   #1
fraunbea

Liked: 1 Time

Chemical Biology prerequisites
I am sitting here making sure that my first year courses are all set for September and just read a reply from the chemistry advisor (Paul) saying that if I want to take chemical biology second year, I need to take MATH 1A03 instead of 1LS3. However, the course calendar says I don't necessarily have to take MATH 1A03. Do you really need to take MATH 1A03 to do well in Chemical Biology?
Old 06-29-2010 at 09:32 AM   #2
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

No.
I took math 1LS3 last year and still got into chem bio.
HOWEVER, the admissions requirements for programs do change from time to time.
And the only place that I can see you needing to know math very well would be kinetics.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-29-2010 at 10:32 AM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

The requirements to get into chembio are here: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1553.html

I also got into chembio after only taking 1LS3, so unless they change the requirements, it shouldn't be a problem.

However, they used to require 1A03+1AA3, and it's possible that they'll go back to that if they decided that we were really lacking in math skills. Many chembio kids took 1AA3 and/or 1B03 as electives anyways, though. I'm not sure why you were told they require 1A03...maybe email them back and ask why the course calendar says something different?
Within the physical science departments (chem/chembio, physics/astronomy, medical physics) there's a huge bias against the 'life sci' versions of physical sci courses...such as math 1LS3 and physics 1L03. They'll always encourage you to take math 1A03 and physics 1B03, but unless they're changing things, it shouldn't be a requirement. Your best bet is to email back for clarification
Old 06-29-2010 at 11:13 AM   #4
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

He probably advised you to take Math 1A03 because of the physics requirement, I cannot remember if it's either Physics 1B03 or L03 that's needed, but for 1B03, math 1A03 would be a lot more help.
Old 06-29-2010 at 11:15 AM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Everybody seems to be saying that (Math 1A03 helps with Physics) but ...apart from knowing how to integrate a polynomial, I don't really remember why it was so useful.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-29-2010 at 09:06 PM   #6
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

It helped me with uncertainties. There's always at least one uncertainty question per midterm and one of them, differentials saved my butt. There was another question which had to do with integration but it was more graphical.
Old 06-29-2010 at 09:14 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

eeevil uncertainties although you don't technically learn multivariable/partial derivatives until the end of 1AA3, knowing the basics will definitely help you/let you figure it out yourself.

It also helps you to understand where all of the equations come from, and their relationship to each other (since some equations are the derivative or integral of another), and understanding these relationships helps you out a lot with the theoretical questions. Some theoretical questions required you to take the derivative or integral of something else, too.