Chemical Biology prerequisites fraunbea Academics 6 06-29-2010 09:14 PM
Chemical Biology and The 30 Spots goodnews.inc Academics 10 03-11-2010 04:43 PM
Chemical Biology Schedules goodnews.inc Academics 0 02-21-2010 05:41 PM

Chemical Biology vs. Biochemistry

Old 06-17-2009 at 08:33 PM   #1
dchan28

Liked: 1 Time

Chemical Biology vs. Biochemistry
Since Chemical Biology is a relatively new specialization for incoming second year science students (only started in 2008/2009), can anyone here shed some light on how the chem bio courses are in terms of difficulty, workload, and/or assigned profs? I'm currently debating between this program vs. Biochemistry and would really appreciate a comparison in any of those three areas. Thanks in advance!

(Oh, and feel free to answer if you know anyone or have friends in that program too!)
Old 06-17-2009 at 08:52 PM   #2
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Biochem and Chemical Biology students pretty much take similar courses in second year (physical chem, orgo, proteins, cell bio and nucleic acids). I'm also assuming the new Chem Bio 2L03 class is similar to Biochem 2L06. Chemical biology students have to take an inquiry class and analytical chemistry (a course that biochem students take in third or fourth year, depending on their specialization) in first term which, from what I'm told by former chembio students, was a highly unpopular combination. Apparently both of these classes were very demanding in terms of workload and unfortunately discouraged a lot of students from continuing in the program. Nevertheless, it was the first time they ran the program so I'm sure they've considered the students' feedback and adjusted the courses accordingly.

If you're looking at applying to grad school, Chemical Biology offers more lab experience than biochem core, but biochemistry specialization (either one) offers way more lab experience than chem bio. I honestly think if you have a soft spot for chemistry though, chemical biology is for you.

dchan28 says thanks to kenneth526 for this post.
Old 06-17-2009 at 09:43 PM   #3
meaghanob

Liked: 0 Times

I'm going to be in the first graduating Chemical Biology undergraduate class so I'd love to shed some light on the program!

In a nutshell.. I am extremely happy and thankful I ended up choosing Chemical Biology, because I think that my current situation and outlook for the future would be completely different had I not.

Course wise, in second year your year is going to be very similar to those in biochemistry, except you will be taking Bioanalytical Chemistry, Chemical Biology Inquiry, and a Chemical Biology lab course. Bioanalytical Chemistry is pretty demanding work load wise if you want to do well in it.. but it's possible. Inquiry is the first course that you're going to have just with the people in your program, and it's a great way to begin to form those bonds with your fellow classmates. You have quite a few projects (6 or so?) which is the only work you have to do for this course but it still takes up quite a bit of your time. The lab course was.. interesting. There was a lot of kinks in the labs but hopefully most of them will be worked out for the next incoming class. You have two major lab reports of which the aim is to write them as if you were writing a paper. These reports were very time consuming and took a lot of work if you wanted to get a good mark, but we learned a lot. The lab course introduces you to a lot of techniques used in Chemical Biology and some of the labs were quite fun and interesting! (My favourite lab was the first, of which we got to isolate a Natural Product from the source of our choice, to be later screened for inhibition against an enzyme!) The prof/TA ratio to students for the lab course was.. flabbergasting. There was about 20 of us in the class and for each lab period we would have 3 profs and 4 TAs in the same room. Needless to say, in Chemical Biology, you gets lots of special attention.

To be completely honest, the workload at times can be extremely overwhelming. But as I've come to realize (I have friends in Biochem, Genetics, Life Sci, etc) you're going to be overwhelmed in almost everything you're in, and if you put the right amount of effort in, keeping up with your workload and doing well is completely possible. In ChemBio you're going to have a very small class size, lots of interaction with professors, time to form great close friendships with the people in your program, and lots of interesting classes to take. Because of the amount of interaction we get with the professors, nearly half of my program this year got laboratory jobs on campus which is incredible. I'm currently working for Dr. Brennan (who you will get for Bioanalytical) and I truly believe had I not been in ChemBio, I would not have gotten such a job with such ease.

I completely advocate going into Chemical Biology if it's something you're interested in and are ready to work and learn lots!

dchan28, interrobang?, Rayine all say thanks to meaghanob for this post.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:26 PM   #4
peterpan

Liked: 1 Time

Chemical Biology Facebook Group
ChemBio students unite!!

Regardless of whether you're in ChemBio, going into the program, or interested in joining it eventually...
JOIN US and invite other ChemBio ppl while you're at it!

Chemical Biology - a relatively new program offered at McMaster U. now has a fb group!
Here is an attempt to unite the the 2009-10 incoming class as well as previous yr's classes.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...=9417730 2021

Thanks a lot =D