MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chemical bio engineering! muons Academics 1 03-20-2011 07:12 PM
Chemical Engineering...all first year engs hate it? muons First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 34 01-04-2011 08:00 PM
Chemical Biology - Q&a sarrah66 Academics 4 08-09-2010 08:39 PM

Chemical Engineering

Old 05-30-2011 at 10:06 PM   #1
killerbeatz

Liked: 4 Times

Chemical Engineering
hey guys im having a really tough decision right now and i was wondering if i could get your help. Im stuck on choosing where i want to be in life whether it is to continue in university. i've completed engineering however not with the grades i wanted. Im now only able to choose chemical engineering as an option. How is chemical engineering what are the courses like? are they interesting in any way? is it mostly theory or there any practical work. If i dont choose this im also interesting in cooking and may want to possibly pursue chef school but im having a hard time deciding what the best choice for me is right now. if any upper year chemical engineers could tell me what your years are like and what your courses were like id apprieciate it alot thanks
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:08 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeatz View Post
hey guys im having a really tough decision right now and i was wondering if i could get your help. Im stuck on choosing where i want to be in life whether it is to continue in university. i've completed engineering however not with the grades i wanted. Im now only able to choose chemical engineering as an option. How is chemical engineering what are the courses like? are they interesting in any way? is it mostly theory or there any practical work. If i dont choose this im also interesting in cooking and may want to possibly pursue chef school but im having a hard time deciding what the best choice for me is right now. if any upper year chemical engineers could tell me what your years are like and what your courses were like id apprieciate it alot thanks
Chem eng barely has labs, esp in 2nd and 3rd year. We have more lab courses in EE.

As for picking it, are you interested in chemistry at all? If you did not like materials or first year chem, you will probably not enjoy the program as much as you should be.
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:09 PM   #3
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Why would you choose engineering in the first place ? Do you just want to do engineering, no matter what the stream is ?

Choose/pursue a career/discipline that you enjoy. Pursue it especially when it's something you've always wanted to do.

Chemical engineering is basically the design of plants (maybe also machinery) for chemical processing. You will do some chemistry (basic) but you won't have to do intense chemistry.

As a chemical engineer, you won't be employed to design new drugs (chemist's job) but you will play a part in design the processing of the drug in mass amounts.

http://www.ceb.cam.ac.uk/exemplarch2002/mcp21/

Last edited by Icecream : 05-30-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2011 at 10:15 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

What as your first choice. Woud you rather do that or cooking school. I wouldnt settle for chem cause you dont sound like you want chem eng. If you rather do whatever your first choice is, I would redo whatever courses you did bad in first year and try and see what 2nd year courses you can start.
Old 05-30-2011 at 11:10 PM   #5
killerbeatz

Liked: 4 Times

thanks for the reply guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
Why would you choose engineering in the first place ? Do you just want to do engineering, no matter what the stream is ?
and icecream as to what i want to do im honestly undecided when i came to mac i wanted to go into either mechanical or civil engineering because i thought it would involve design, hands-on work etc, i always excelled in labs, small projects and that things like that. For me first year eng was hard to grasp as at times i found it boring or i just didnt understand some of the stuff but i stuck through cuz i didnt want to just drop it in the end i got a average just above the requirement to stay in eng and now my choice is limited to chem because i dont want to eng physics, materials or software. I have a huge interest in cooking but im worried about whether ill have the same doubts. I know it sounds like im venting my problems but i just want to know what its like ive talked to sally and she gave me the option of doing eng over 2 years but i see it kind of a waste as i already dont like alot of the material in first year and my marks in the math and physics side was really low like 2s and 3's
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:16 AM   #6
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

How about going to B.Tech Im sure you would get alot of credits and you get more of a hand on education. there's three streams, two seem of possible interest to you.
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:18 AM   #7
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

and you dont have to do all of first year over just those math and physics. and alot of upper year say how much they didnt like first year and enjoy the upper years cause it is what interest the. one time a 3rd year overheard my convo with a friend on how i was doubt lec due to 1e03 but she said she hated 1e03 did horrible in it and now loves the elec courses she does.