MacInsiders Logo

Chemistry 1A03

Old 07-01-2008 at 04:22 PM   #136
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Chemistry 1A03
Overview
Chemistry 1A03 covers basic assumed knowledge from highschool (bonding, gases, atomic theory, etc), electrons in atoms, periodic table trends, acids & bases, equilibrium, aqueous solutions and thermochemistry. This is a rather large first year class, so it's taught by 3 or...

all say thanks to kenneth526 for this post.

like this.
Old 10-18-2010 at 01:42 PM   #135
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
I remember I did VERY well on the first midterm, and then got approx 15% lower on the second midterm. I felt like the second midterm was awful when I was writing it, but my mark didn't end up being THAT bad and now that I've written many more midterms/exams, in retrospect even the second midterm was good.
To this day, I've never done as well on a midterm as I did on the first chem one. It was the best thing ever
The exam was pretty fair, though...maybe more along the level of the second midterm than the first. I do remember my friend telling me that a girl in her exam room was crying throughout the whole thing...but it really wasn't nearly THAT bad. They tend to focus much more on concepts than memorization, and I do infinitely better on tests like that
Old 10-18-2010 at 06:00 PM   #136
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times
i think what kills everyone on the second midterm is acid/base. it can be a difficult concept for some, and if you don't understand it the first time around make sure you go for office hours / do extra questions until it's drilled in your head.
Old 10-18-2010 at 07:34 PM   #137
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
I was just wondering, what mark do we need in Chem 1A03 to qualify for Chem 1AA3. I am pretty sure I didn't do that well on the first midterm, and judging from comments it only gets more difficult. At this point, I'm terrified that I won't meet the minimum requirement to take 1AA3.
Old 10-18-2010 at 08:32 PM   #138
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...764.html#49205

It looks like you only need to pass to be able to take 1AA3.
Old 10-19-2010 at 08:04 AM   #139
AngusLee

Liked: 1 Time
A pass would be a 6/12?
Old 10-19-2010 at 09:26 AM   #140
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusLee View Post
A pass would be a 6/12?
Pretty sure pass is 1?
Old 10-19-2010 at 09:41 AM   #141
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusLee View Post
A pass would be a 6/12?

A pass is a 1 (=50-52), but a 6 or 7 is about standard for prereqs.
Old 10-19-2010 at 10:56 AM   #142
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times
A pass is a 1/12. Goodluck !
Old 10-19-2010 at 01:03 PM   #143
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times
pretty sure a pass is anything over 50, so 1 and above on the 12 point scale. a 6 = a C+
Old 10-19-2010 at 07:54 PM   #144
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times
a pass is over 49% so over a 0
Old 10-19-2010 at 09:40 PM   #145
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times
A pass would be 1/12. A 6/12 would be 67-69%. Mac's grading scale is not like 6/12 = 50%, its a range of marks. 0 is a fail, 1 is a pass. To stay at Mac, I think you need a CA of greater than 3.5 or something.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...ent/pg145.html
Old 10-20-2010 at 09:30 AM   #146
marcie

Liked: 119 Times
Yeah I found the second midterm much harder than the first (for both 1A03 and 1AA3) but some people I talked to thought it was the other way around - the second midterm actually brought up their final mark. It totally depends on what you consider to be easy. The second midterm was all acid/base, salts, equilibrium, pH calculation- stuff that never clicked for me in 1st yr, but a lot of people somehow knew how to do intuitively :\

Just be sure to practice, practice, practice (tutorials and past year's midterms. Don't bother with the textbook questions). I think the average last year for the first midterm was in the fifties, and the second midterm in the low-to-mid sixties, but I'm not totally sure, I could be wrong.

I hated this course with a passion.... sooo glad it's done. First year chem sucks if you don't have a strong high school background (Not as in grades, but I mean actually having a gr 12 teacher that didn't skim over material/skip over entire units...) I'm in 2nd year orgo right now, and so far I'm finding it a lot easier than chem 1A03/1AA3, oddly enough. Maybe it's because everyone is on equal footing
Old 10-20-2010 at 10:55 AM   #147
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcie View Post
Yeah I found the second midterm much harder than the first (for both 1A03 and 1AA3) but some people I talked to thought it was the other way around - the second midterm actually brought up their final mark. It totally depends on what you consider to be easy. The second midterm was all acid/base, salts, equilibrium, pH calculation- stuff that never clicked for me in 1st yr, but a lot of people somehow knew how to do intuitively :\

Just be sure to practice, practice, practice (tutorials and past year's midterms. Don't bother with the textbook questions). I think the average last year for the first midterm was in the fifties, and the second midterm in the low-to-mid sixties, but I'm not totally sure, I could be wrong.

I hated this course with a passion.... sooo glad it's done. First year chem sucks if you don't have a strong high school background (Not as in grades, but I mean actually having a gr 12 teacher that didn't skim over material/skip over entire units...) I'm in 2nd year orgo right now, and so far I'm finding it a lot easier than chem 1A03/1AA3, oddly enough. Maybe it's because everyone is on equal footing
It's good to hear you're finding orgo easier, I heard it was really difficult! Well, everyone who walked out of the midterm on Friday said how easy it was, and I was just thinking to myself..."Wow, I thought it was pretty challenging." Now for the past few days I've been pretty upset/frustrated over the mistakes I made.

britb likes this.
Old 10-20-2010 at 12:35 PM   #148
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times
im actually hearting orgo right now
Old 04-17-2011 at 01:44 AM   #149
julian36

Liked: 1 Time
Well it is much easier than 1AA3 for sure. Enjoy!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search