MacInsiders Logo

Chemistry 1A03

Old 07-01-2008 at 04:22 PM   #121
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Chemistry 1A03
Overview
Chemistry 1A03 covers basic assumed knowledge from highschool (bonding, gases, atomic theory, etc), electrons in atoms, periodic table trends, acids & bases, equilibrium, aqueous solutions and thermochemistry. This is a rather large first year class, so it's taught by 3 or...

all say thanks to kenneth526 for this post.

like this.
Old 07-16-2010 at 04:17 PM   #120
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMe3 View Post
for the labs and tutorials, since both of them are every other week, would it be possible to put them together at the same time slot? so that one week ts the tutorial and the next week its the lab...? or do they mean that the tutorial and lab both take place in the same week and then none of them in the next week?
It does it automatically, they will alternate every week.
Old 07-16-2010 at 06:02 PM   #121
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times
so if I wanna switch the times around, i have to keep them together right?
Old 07-16-2010 at 09:49 PM   #122
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
so if I wanna switch the times around, i have to keep them together right?
When you choose your lab section, it will automatically choose your tutorial section. It will have the same number.
Old 07-17-2010 at 03:50 PM   #123
DMe3

and we cant change it?
Old 07-17-2010 at 04:02 PM   #124
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
and we cant change it?
It'll already be chosen for you, but you can change it August 11th onwards if you want to.
Old 07-25-2010 at 04:45 AM   #125
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times
It's an okay course. Be careful when dealing with the lab co-ordinator Jeff Landry -- he can be a bit impatient and is not a very strong professor.

rcmp1234 likes this.
Old 07-31-2010 at 02:03 PM   #126
navangi90

Liked: 4,294,967,295 Times
I would say Chemistry, it was a difficult course but at the same time we didn't have enough time to practice all the conceptual questions and mid-terms for chemistry comes really fast so you must keep yourself up to date. Also, use the extra help that is available take advantage of your resource you never know it may save you! But all in all just work hard and stay focused and you'll succeed!!

Good Luck
Old 10-03-2010 at 05:10 PM   #127
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times
to those people who took chem 1A03 recently (with in the past few years), how difficult is the first mid term, and did they have to bell curve (or rather, reduce the denominator) the marks?
Old 10-08-2010 at 06:59 PM   #128
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmp1234 View Post
to those people who took chem 1A03 recently (with in the past few years), how difficult is the first mid term, and did they have to bell curve (or rather, reduce the denominator) the marks?
It really depends on your chemistry background and how much you've been keeping up with the material. I personally found the first midterm to be easy. I'm pretty sure they didn't alter the marks in any way. I took the course in 2008-2009.
Old 10-15-2010 at 06:28 PM   #129
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Quote:
Took it the year after jhan. Midterm was easy, looking back, but I made a bunch of stupid mistakes (still did relatively well). They may have taken out like 1 MC question, but that's it - don't count on it. That being said, the department is quite fair and will not shy away from removing an unfair/unclear question.
Old 10-15-2010 at 10:56 PM   #130
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times
Thanks! I found the midterm today extremely straightfoward today compared to the sample test from the previous years
Old 10-16-2010 at 08:58 PM   #131
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
I can't believe how awful that turned out. No idea if I was nervous or something. I drew out my structure, and it was right but I couldn't, for the life of me remember the structure name (and it was on the page). I'm starting to think I failed this midterm, yet I put in so much time. Anyone feel the same way, or am I just a first year noob.
Old 10-17-2010 at 12:49 PM   #132
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times
Quote:
Thanks! I found the midterm today extremely straightfoward today compared to the sample test from the previous years
I have to agree with you here. I was nervous for it, but I knew everything and finished in only 40 minutes. I literally did the test twice to make sure all my answers were right. I honestly think I scored perfect on it, and I wouldn't have done so on the previous years' tests. I liked the midterm.
Old 10-17-2010 at 11:19 PM   #133
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
I have to agree with you here. I was nervous for it, but I knew everything and finished in only 40 minutes. I literally did the test twice to make sure all my answers were right. I honestly think I scored perfect on it, and I wouldn't have done so on the previous years' tests. I liked the midterm.
Same, but the only thing I'm worried about is... does this mean they will make the second midterm waaayyy harder? That would suck since the next material is harder than the material we just covered :(

can anyone comment on this? (upper year students)
Old 10-18-2010 at 09:19 AM   #134
Mz.Morra13

2nd midterm tends to be harder yeah. but the exam from what i remember was super fair as long as you did a lot of practice.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search