MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chinese 1Z06 a good choice for a first year bird course? guerilla First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-08-2012 03:42 PM
first year electives? riks17 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 05-17-2011 08:25 PM
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
Second year Eng electives? xxsumz Academics 7 06-16-2010 08:43 PM
2nd year ELECTIVES kwyhan Academics 4 06-13-2010 11:34 PM

Chinese 1z03 & other first year electives

Old 05-15-2013 at 07:26 PM   #1
ashleylau

Liked: 2 Times

Chinese 1z03 & other first year electives
Hey, so I'm going into first year Med Rad (yay!) and I have 2 electives (6 units) and I was going through the list of electives I could take, and well this course kinda stuck out to me since I'm Chinese but know 0 chinese lol. So I was wondering if anyone has taken it and knows if it's easy or not.
Or if not, any suggestions for some fun but easy electives? I'm open to a variety of subjects!
Also, does anyone know how many units it's worth cause it's 2 semesters, so idk if it's the place to 2 electives or still one...
Old 05-16-2013 at 12:59 PM   #2
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Actually, the course is Chinese 1Z06, so it's really a full course, or the equivalent of two 3-unit half-courses, and goes on all year. The version is Mandarin, and intended for beginners with no previous knowledge of any Chinese. These courses used to be run by the Confucius Institute, which received support and a bit of funding from the Chinese government. Recently there was bit of misunderstanding between Mac and the Chinese about hiring practices, and that programme has been wound up, leaving a big void in available courses. Likely there will be a new instructor for this course, and that would make it difficult to find a track record to judge. The course used to include oral work, reading in pinyin, a bit of Chinese culture, and an introduction to traditional characters. Language courses with a 1Z06 or 1Z03 course code are a great way to get an intensive introduction to a new language. We need people to take all kinds of language courses at Mac to sustain the numbers to support the programmes. Good luck! I hope you find it interesting and worthwhile.

ashleylau says thanks to oldviking for this post.
Old 05-16-2013 at 03:46 PM   #3
ashleylau

Liked: 2 Times

Haha oh yeah, i mixed up the course code! And oh ok! Thank you very much! I think I will take it!

oldviking likes this.
Old 05-16-2013 at 10:31 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Keep in mind, when the Confucius institute was running this course, a lot of people considered it a "bird course". Now that's it's being run independently, there is a possibility that this now may become the hardest course ever. I took a first year Chinese course during the summer at U of T St. George a few years back not run by the Confucius institute, and it was probably one of the most difficult courses I've ever taken in terms of work load (lol characters).

Also, I'd keep an eye on that Chinese course offered for next year. If you look closely, that's the only Chinese course McMaster is offering (literally only that one core/tutorial) and no instructors have been assigned to it. It could easily be an automatic scheduling mistake that it even exists.
Old 05-16-2013 at 10:33 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

most 1st year med rad take psych 1x03 since its required in 3rd year anyways and this frees up elective for 3rd yr
Old 05-17-2013 at 07:38 AM   #6
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

There is a posting out for an instructor for that course right now. There are plenty of people out there with the necessary credentials. I even know a few personally. Limited, non-tenure track appointments are not as appealing, but it seems to be the way for universities to do staffing on a low-budget basis these days. As for content, the description suggests that the traditional characters will not be emphasized. Otherwise, Chinese is a relatively simple and easy language. If the instructor is considering his long-term prospects, he would be wise not to make things too difficult for anyone.