MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food on Campus - Food restrictions..? Afsha-noon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-02-2012 04:30 PM
Anyone up for translating Chinese? justinsftw Music 21 03-01-2011 10:18 PM
CHINESE classes? paperplanes Academics 28 08-09-2010 02:39 PM

chinese food!

Old 01-24-2013 at 06:08 PM   #16
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
I've tried mandarin a few times. It's ok i guess... for an asian at least. For non asians I guess it's great cause you can try so many things at once. Although it's so expensive and not that worth it these days. Also I see way too many ppl just go for crab legs >>
That's true, you can eat a lot there..that's why i like it :p They have different prices for different times..i always try to avoid going there at night because that's when it's really expensive. I wanna try more Asian places Hopefully i'll find some good ones!

Ohhh i tried the crab legs once...wasn't very delicious lol
Old 01-24-2013 at 06:28 PM   #17
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Where you from? I can recommend :>

jim1 likes this.
Old 01-24-2013 at 06:29 PM   #18
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Where you from? I can recommend :>
I live on the mountain, I am a Hamiltonian :p
Old 01-24-2013 at 07:06 PM   #19
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Haven't had much experience in Hamilton but this is what I will relate based on what I tried and my personal opinoins

Best experience: KW BBQ Kitchen @ Queen/york beside stonewalls
pros: They make everything themselves (roast pork, bbq pork, soy chicken etc), very good quality compared to the good places in sauga/markham area, their fried dishes are pretty decent vs price
cons: Abit overpriced in comparison to sauga/markham, some of their dishes went up in price due to popularity/how cheap it was, a relatively small place with fewer options

2nd best: Harvest moon (John street a block behind jackson square)
Pros: Closest thing you'll get to a "real" Chinese restaurant with authentic, all day dim sum
Cons: Dim sum may be made from just frozen, bit more expensive than above

3rd:
(-insert chinese noodle place name beside august 8): Very good noodles, more variety, but I'd say KW is better. Definetly come here for like double-triple the selection and other things the above 2 may not make)

Other asian related ones in non particular order
Sushi:
Sapporo: Best one I've been to for all you can eat sushi, decent service and food.

August 8: Many ppl like this over other choices, does serve dimsum too (Chinese/jap). I'm fairly sure their dimsum is made from frozen , and the one time I did go there their dim sum was better than most of their sushi. Need to go again maybe it was a bad day

Sushi Star: Never been to, heard good things about it.

Pho Dau Bo: Definetly the best viet place in Hamilton. Their noodles are better and is abit higher class than the rest. Obviously a bit more pricy. There are other pho places but to me they're more or less the same

Red river: If you like spicy food try Szchesuan food. Their restaurant in Mississuga is really popular, but it did go up in price alot (Sauga one at least). My friends had a terrible service experience there (also had over greasy food) but when I went there it was fine
Saigon; no... just stop going there please....

Did some googling for more chinese places. The ones I've been to are around campus. Here are more in mountain area I guess
http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/...ts/Hamilton+ON
http://www.urbanspoon.com/nf/242/463...se-Restaurants
http://www.restaurantica.com /on/hamilton/c-chinese/

hatorade, jim1 all say thanks to Leeoku for this post.

hatorade, jim1 like this.
Old 01-25-2013 at 01:37 AM   #20
VitaSoy

Liked: 9 Times

^ Are there any places around campus/ Hamilton with Cantonese cuisine? I have a hard time picking something from the menus that I'm used to having (back in Markham).

Also I feel like chow mein is interpreted differently by some restaurants since they substitute noodles for bean sprouts :s
Old 01-25-2013 at 10:01 AM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
Really, Mandarin? Come on now.

I second South China. I've been really happy with their food. Dragon Court and Empress Wok are pretty good too.
Empress Wok is 'okay' at the very best. Perhaps it was the night I got food from there, but it didn't taste very good.
Old 01-25-2013 at 10:13 AM   #22
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Empress Wok is 'okay' at the very best. Perhaps it was the night I got food from there, but it didn't taste very good.
Empress Wok is the typical 'white' style Chinese food (Chinese food catered to a North American audience).

I've been a couple times, and it's pretty bad. I don't think it's just when you went.

VitaSoy likes this.
Old 01-25-2013 at 12:01 PM   #23
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaSoy View Post
^ Are there any places around campus/ Hamilton with Cantonese cuisine? I have a hard time picking something from the menus that I'm used to having (back in Markham).

Also I feel like chow mein is interpreted differently by some restaurants since they substitute noodles for bean sprouts :s
Crystal Dynasty and Harvest Moon downtown are some of the few remaining "authentic" Chinese food places in Hamilton.

I also didn't find out 'til I worked at an "unauthentic" Chinese place that Canadians think "chow mein" is bean sprouts with a side of dry noodles. I'd like to know how that bastardization happened, because "chow mean" literally translates to "fried noodles".
Old 01-25-2013 at 12:30 PM   #24
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Crystal Dynasty and Harvest Moon downtown are some of the few remaining "authentic" Chinese food places in Hamilton.

I also didn't find out 'til I worked at an "unauthentic" Chinese place that Canadians think "chow mein" is bean sprouts with a side of dry noodles. I'd like to know how that bastardization happened, because "chow mean" literally translates to "fried noodles".
Err...I'm Canadian. I've never ever heard of chow mein being bean sprouts with a side of dry noodles before. Ever...it's always been fried noodles, often with some sort of vegetables as well.
Old 01-25-2013 at 04:45 PM   #25
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Empress Wok is the typical 'white' style Chinese food (Chinese food catered to a North American audience).

I've been a couple times, and it's pretty bad. I don't think it's just when you went.
That would make sense then. :p
Old 01-25-2013 at 06:13 PM   #26
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

@vita No. Places like empress and south china and beijing hut are called "chop seu pos" meaning they serve low tier chinese food aimed particularly at non asians. John street is right where jackson square is (walk one block up) and that's where all the asian food is. The two noodle places+harvest moon i posted above are probably the best you'll get for Canto cuisine closest to campus.

About chow mein. Bean sprouts are normally stir fried with chowmein as a combo. They usually add more bean sprouts as a way to fill up the dish since it is a cheap vegetable.