MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Choosing 2nd year program hellohello Academics 4 06-14-2010 03:48 PM
Choosing a Non-Top 4 Second Year Major xo.monica Academics 2 06-09-2010 01:21 PM
Choosing First Year Rez bhaley General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 12:03 PM

Choosing a second year program

Old 01-08-2011 at 03:11 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Choosing a second year program
Hello everyone. I'm currently in life sciences and it is almost time to start thinking about second year. I'm having trouble deciding, and would like to hear some opinions and feedback about everyone's second year choice. I'm debating molecular biology or maybe biochem, chem bio. How is the workload and interest level of your program, and also how competitive is it to get in? I'm currently taking Psych 1xx3 as well, in case I decide to do Honours Life Science.
Old 01-08-2011 at 03:40 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Hello everyone. I'm currently in life sciences and it is almost time to start thinking about second year. I'm having trouble deciding, and would like to hear some opinions and feedback about everyone's second year choice. I'm debating molecular biology or maybe biochem, chem bio. How is the workload and interest level of your program, and also how competitive is it to get in? I'm currently taking Psych 1xx3 as well, in case I decide to do Honours Life Science.
Workload for my program wasn't that bad in second year, but in third year there's so much work it's ridiculous. But I did take a ridiculous course load considering I had electives like biochemistry and animal physiology. As for interest, well that's subjective but I love genetics. In second year it was still very general so I was quite bored, but this year I'm quite happy with the material I'm learning. I don't know how competitive it was last year, but you generally need quite good marks. Remember that in order to do a thesis (and you have to in order to graduate) you need a C.A. of at least 8.5. There may be exceptions that some professors make but in general that's the case.
Old 01-08-2011 at 04:19 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

The 1st semester of 2nd year of chemical biology is quite possibly the hardest semester you will ever encounter. There is simply no sugarcoating it. It is 4 months of endless hell. Sleep is optional, being in the lab brings about a sense of familiarity, and going home means going to Thode. However, not to scare you, its incredibly rewarding. The chemical biology program is very well put together, and you learn how to learn. Besides, you also come out of that semester with an attitude that if you survived those 4 months, you can survive anything.
I don't quite understand what you mean about interest level, but I can tell you we (all 17 of us in 2nd year) quite enjoy it. Personally, going into chem bio was one of the best decisions I've made in university.
I'm not quite sure how hard it is to get in, but its not that difficult. Nobody knows exactly what you need to get into the program, but we speculate that you need at least a 9.0 CA from the important first year courses (basically everything except PSYCH courses).
I do have this one warning. Chem Bio is not for the weak of mind. If you simply want a high average, go into honours life sci because chem bio is not for you (although, its not that hard to achieve good marks, my average didnt drop by very much). But if all you want to do is to maintain your 11.9 CA or whatever, then your time would be better served in hon life sci. But if you work hard, its also possible to maintain an 11.9 CA in chem bio (or so i hear).
Also, chemical biology is a CHEMISTRY program. Make sure you enjoy chemistry.
Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT join the rowing team. There simply isnt the time and it wont work out (learn from my mistakes).
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 01-08-2011 at 04:37 PM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I considered Mol Bio and Bio Chem, but I did physiology instead. Not because of anything wrong with either of those programs, Physios just fit/appealed to me more.

Also, don't be scared off by workload, like don't stay in life science or something because you want an easier life. Do what you want to do because otherwise university is going to suck, an no double-digit piece of paper is going to help that.

I'd say do what you like - hopefully you like chem, because both bio chem and chem bio have quite a bit of that in them.

Last edited by britb : 01-08-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2011 at 04:40 PM   #5
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

gotta love the life sci bashing, cute.
Old 01-09-2011 at 09:57 PM   #6
Angoose
Elite Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Well, I thought I liked chem but I'm not sure what happened this term. Chemistry 1A03 was kind of difficult for me. By the way, for each of these programs, are there any specific jobs that you're hoping to get upon graduating with your degree, or is everyone at Mac just trying to get into med school.
Old 01-09-2011 at 10:03 PM   #7
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone. Well, I thought I liked chem but I'm not sure what happened this term. Chemistry 1A03 was kind of difficult for me. By the way, for each of these programs, are there any specific jobs that you're hoping to get upon graduating with your degree, or is everyone at Mac just trying to get into med school.
chem 1a03 destroys most, and omg no not everyone wants to go to med school. go see the careers office accross from bsb 104
Old 01-12-2011 at 09:26 PM   #8
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
chem 1a03 destroys most, and omg no not everyone wants to go to med school. go see the careers office accross from bsb 104
How does chem1aa3 compare to chem1a03. I'm getting really nervous about it.
Old 01-12-2011 at 09:42 PM   #9
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
How does chem1aa3 compare to chem1a03. I'm getting really nervous about it.
it's alot of work aswell, I knew my stuff and still failed the exam. Labs are mark boosters. Midterms were tough. Just get over a 4 so you can take orgo and trust orgo is SOOOOO MUCH better than first year chem
Old 01-12-2011 at 10:40 PM   #10
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
About 85% of people I talked in Life Sci want to go to Med school, optometry, dentistry or other professional schools. That is pretty damn competitive.
Old 01-12-2011 at 10:44 PM   #11
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
About 85% of people I talked in Life Sci want to go to Med school, optometry, dentistry or other professional schools. That is pretty damn competitive.
ya but thats what you think, its not necessarily what will happen
Old 01-12-2011 at 10:49 PM   #12
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
ya but thats what you think, its not necessarily what will happen
I never said it would happen, just stated the fact: it is competitive.
Old 01-12-2011 at 11:15 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
I never said it would happen, just stated the fact: it is competitive.
Everything is competitive. University, teacher's college, Master's, PhD, not just professional schools.
Old 01-13-2011 at 12:12 AM   #14
AngusLee

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
it's alot of work aswell, I knew my stuff and still failed the exam. Labs are mark boosters. Midterms were tough. Just get over a 4 so you can take orgo and trust orgo is SOOOOO MUCH better than first year chem
Is Orgo actually better? I keep hearing that it's the hardest course ever and that I should try and take it in the summer hahah XD.
Old 01-13-2011 at 12:19 AM   #15
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusLee View Post
Is Orgo actually better? I keep hearing that it's the hardest course ever and that I should try and take it in the summer hahah XD.
i dunno it depends for me everything just made sense like i understoood it completely and i enjoyed it very much, did decentand its quite weird cuz i hated 1st year chem and swore id ver do it