MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Walking from class to class without being late aw07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 50 06-22-2011 12:53 AM
can i drop a class in term 2 and take a class in term 1??? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 08-10-2010 12:58 PM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM
Where do you sit in class? Chad Academics 7 05-26-2008 10:09 PM

Class-to-class: How easy is it to find rooms?

Old 09-07-2011 at 11:43 AM   #1
Hawkes

Liked: Liked 5 Times

Class-to-class: How easy is it to find rooms?
I haven't done a lot of looking around at the rooms and their numbers when I'm walking down hallways, but how "organized" are the rooms? If I'm in a 101, will I see a 104 right beside it?

Or will the numbers just jump around, and I'll see a row of "104, 320, 240", etc?

Basically, how easy is it to find your classes in first year? (Especially if you suck with directions like I do)
Old 09-07-2011 at 11:47 AM   #2
stephanie77

Liked: 0 Times

Its super easy to find classes especially if you're in first year because all the big lecture halls are right when you walk in basically! I only found basements to be super confusing, like BSB. But otherwise its easy
Old 09-07-2011 at 11:49 AM   #3
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Very easy! First of all, everyone in Mac is willing to help. If you're lost, just ask! In my first year, people actually showed me right to the class, sometimes actually helping me look for it even if they didn't know where it was. Mac students = the best.

As for the class numbers, it works like this. A 'B' infront of the number (e.g., B106) denotes the class is in a basement. 1 means first floor (104), and 376 would mean it's on the third floor. 104 and 106 would be on the same side, 105 on the opposite wall (I think). It's really very easy once you get the hang of it.

Again, don't hesitate to ask directions! Everyone's really friendly!

EDIT: And everything's really organized. You can't go wrong. Some buildings, like MDCL, also have maps in the lobby, so...yeah. Not hard at all!
Old 09-07-2011 at 11:55 AM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Most buildings are straight forward, but sometimes for some of the buildings like the basements in BSB or the JHE Annex (which no one told me was different the JHE), the numbers make sense but then the hallway ends just before the room you need.

Give yourself some extra time the first day, but after that you will be fine
Old 09-07-2011 at 12:04 PM   #5
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

What they have said is true. The only things to worry about at mac are the anomalies. You'll know what I mean.

Old 09-07-2011 at 12:09 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I recommend taking some time today to go find your classes. Before a semester stars, I always find my classes first so I will know where I'm going, and also I walk from them in the order of my schedule. That way, I know the best route to walk and also how long it will take me to get from room to room.
Old 09-07-2011 at 12:12 PM   #7
Faer
Elite Member

Oh, and I thought I'd also add - my first day of classes was also my first day on campus, ever (being an International student, it was...hard to visit, and I'm not counting the quick run to Gilmour Hall for my Student card). I still had no problems whatsoever, so you shouldn't sweat it, either.
Old 09-07-2011 at 12:12 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Oh no, not difficult at all. They're pretty organized. The only place where it gets a little confusing is MDCL/HSC. Also, the first number in any room number will always refer to the floor. i.e. 1## is on first floor, 2## s on second, etc.

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 09-07-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2011 at 12:12 PM   #9
Hawkes

Liked: Liked 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Very easy! First of all, everyone in Mac is willing to help. If you're lost, just ask! In my first year, people actually showed me right to the class, sometimes actually helping me look for it even if they didn't know where it was. Mac students = the best.

As for the class numbers, it works like this. A 'B' infront of the number (e.g., B106) denotes the class is in a basement. 1 means first floor (104), and 376 would mean it's on the third floor. 104 and 106 would be on the same side, 105 on the opposite wall (I think). It's really very easy once you get the hang of it.

Again, don't hesitate to ask directions! Everyone's really friendly!

EDIT: And everything's really organized. You can't go wrong. Some buildings, like MDCL, also have maps in the lobby, so...yeah. Not hard at all!
Is there any other things about room numbers I should know? I see a "B126G" on my timetable and a class in the 1100's? It's not too much of a worry though.
Old 09-07-2011 at 12:42 PM   #10
burtoa

It is fairly easy, you just have to make sure you give yourself enough time to find the room before your class starts!
Old 09-07-2011 at 12:49 PM   #11
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkes View Post
Is there any other things about room numbers I should know? I see a "B126G" on my timetable and a class in the 1100's? It's not too much of a worry though.
i'm assuming your class in the 1100s is in MDCL because I can't think of another building on campus numbered like that. Those rooms are still on the first floor of MDCL, very easy to find. The B126G probably means that there are a few rooms with B126 like B126A, B etc. It won't be that confusing once you actually look around. Give yourself about 15 minutes before class starts if you're really worried about it.
Old 09-07-2011 at 12:58 PM   #12
luna

Liked: 10 Times

It's really easy because almost all first year classes are in big lecture halls and they're easy to find too. Also, there will be signs posted around (inside the building) leading to commonly used lecture halls so no worries. But make sure you know where all you buildings are and how to get from one place to another because that's the most difficult part.
Old 09-07-2011 at 01:26 PM   #13
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkes View Post
Like it's been said, 1100s is in MDCL. All the lecture halls are labelled like that there, but there's a map right through the entrance, so it's not too confusing to pinpoint which lecture hall is where.

As for B126G, I'm not sure what the G means, but perhaps there are two classes called B126 and they're differentiated with a G? LOL.
Old 09-07-2011 at 01:29 PM   #14
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

If you don't know where it is, just ask someone
Old 09-07-2011 at 01:52 PM   #15
Raj22

Yea just ask someone. you can always ask or google a map of McMaster campus a find a map that has all the buildings labeled on it.