MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Class-to-class: How easy is it to find rooms? Hawkes First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 09-08-2011 08:40 PM
Walking from class to class without being late aw07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 50 06-22-2011 12:53 AM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM

class with a new prof

Old 12-13-2011 at 10:39 AM   #1
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

class with a new prof
Is it advisable to take an elective class with a completely new prof? Are they generally easy (because they are new to the system) or hard (because they're trynna fit in the system and show them what they're worth lol).

Anyone draw from their experiences?

The course third year sociology/cmst.
Old 12-13-2011 at 10:43 AM   #2
--HP--

Liked: 53 Times

I wouldn't suggest it from my experience with a course this semester! It could go either way, and you don't want to risk that for a elective for sure! So just choose a course with a proper review you can get from MacInsiders or a Friend, and be safe to getting a good grade!

Phantom likes this.
Old 12-13-2011 at 10:45 AM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I would guess that, even though they're a new prof here, they were already a prof at another school. So I don't think it will be easier or harder than any other Mac course - it'll be about the same. That's just my guess though. I've taken a few courses with new Mac professors and I haven't noticed any difference.
The only difference I notice is when a course is being taught by a Masters/PhD student with no teaching experience - the course ends up being VERY unorganized.
Old 12-13-2011 at 10:46 AM   #4
Phantom

Okay, so I just found out she has been a sessional instructor at Uoft - St.George -_-... what do you guys say now?

:|
Old 12-13-2011 at 10:56 AM   #5
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

I wouldn't suggest taking an elective that has a new proff simply because it is up to chance. From my experience most new proffs often make their exams and assignments overly hard in an attempt to establish themselves.

Play it safe and take an established course with an established professor.

--HP-- likes this.
Old 12-13-2011 at 11:09 AM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

tldr: you probably have a good chance at scoring a decent prof, given that they have teached before, their lectures give a better indication at expectation on exams, papers, etc. You have to assess the feedback on professors in other classes for soc/cmst to see if McMaster has a good record of picking decent profs, especially new ones (or imported from UofT)

Honstly, its not a question thats easy to answer. If you're dedicated, you can do well in anything, but if you're not, you really have to find a professor with a proven track record of having their clear expectations match up with the grading scheme. Quality being related to your doing well is largely a function of their personality, teaching quality, and organization, all of which are random if you don't know who it is.

Given that McMaster is a research institution, and not so much one based on 'teaching' you're more likely to get: a) a professor with a decent academic standing (meaning they know their stuff, or at least they produce results or papers, b) an imported professional to meet the requirements to teach, c) someone who likes teaching, or a mix of the above.

I don't know anything about the range of quality of communication/sociology studies, I would think non-science faculty professors would be better, on average, because a large part of their results (academically, students marks) would be based on quailty teaching and fair assessment, rather than falling behind the protection of student dedication and quality of technical or scientfic teaching literature (textbooks, etc) to do the teaching.

Phantom likes this.
Old 12-13-2011 at 11:51 AM   #7
Phantom

Thank you everyone for your input and advice.
Time to go course hunting again ..*sigh

--HP-- likes this.