MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classics 1B03 citfat 1st Year Course Reviews 10 12-21-2012 02:34 AM
Classics 1B03 thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-09-2010 06:55 PM
Classics 1B03 Typheous Academics 0 01-14-2010 02:56 AM
Difference between classics 1A03 and classics 1M03?? Guest253 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-04-2008 07:53 AM

Classics 1A03, Classics 1B03 ???

Old 05-20-2010 at 08:14 AM   #1
Guest253
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Classics 1A03, Classics 1B03 ???
Hey im wondering if anyone here has taken or knows anything about classics 1A03 or 1B03 (number of essays, old course syllabus, lecture style, etc.) Id much rather have an idea of what actually goes on in the class before picking my only elective in 2 years
Old 05-20-2010 at 10:13 AM   #2
Raeann89

Liked: 4 Times

hmmm well it compleeetely depends on who's the prof. When I took these, I had Dr. Pope for 1A03 and Dr. Murgatroyd for 1B03.

Pope is absolutely incredible - he's definitely a favourite in the department. He truly cares how his students do and will go WAY out of his way to make sure anyone who shows any interest in the material fully understands it. There wont be an essay if you have him as a prof, but there will be a midterm with slide identification, definitions, short answers, and a small essay (suuuper easy). The final is the same format. The course covers the periods of the Minoans, Mycenaeans, Greeks (Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic), and the Romans.

Murgatroyd is also an incredible prof, but he's a bit more hardcore. He's incredibly well read (he also is a published Latin author) and there will be a LOT of analysis etc. if you have him. I think that for the past 2 years Dr. McLean has taught this course however. McLean's incredibly funny and he's also one of those profs who will go way out of his way to help out his students. In this class you typically read the Iliad, Odyssey, and then some Greek tragedy on the side such as the Oresteia or Medea (great reads).

If you want an easy elective, I'd go for 1A03 rather than 1B03. The later involves a lot of reading and memorization of characters/deities etc. 1A03 involves memorizing photos of ancient sites and the sociology that is built up around them (who lived there and when, what they did, the history etc.). I definitely found 1A03 to be much more interesting (and much easier!).

Hope this helps!

Guest253 says thanks to Raeann89 for this post.
Old 05-20-2010 at 11:54 AM   #3
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

In terms of assignments, 1A03 is much easier; I believe there was a small test, a midterm, a 2 - 3 page paper and then the final. The midterm for 1B03 last year was brutally difficult, even if you were really familiar with the material.

Oh, and 1A03 is an archaeology class, so.....ya....Indiana Jones would approve.

Guest253 says thanks to Shmowen for this post.
Old 06-09-2010 at 09:07 PM   #4
maki

Liked: 2 Times

Taking Classics 1A03 and Classics 1M03 at the same time
What about taking Classics 1A03 and 1M03 at the same time, is that possible and would the 2 courses compliment each other, meaning, in 1A03 you could actually see some of the excavated items that are discussed in 1M03?

Has anyone taken both at the same time, and any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 06-09-2010 at 10:08 PM   #5
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

I couldn't take 1A03 but I did take 1M03 and I loved loved loved it. I had Dr. Corner for it and I loved him. We had three assignments worth 10% each, an essay I think was worth 25% and our final 30% and 15% was tutorial attendance and participation. I don't know if it was just my TA that was awesome, but the assignments were really really easy to get perfect on. I only lost 5% on one assignment because of a stupid stupid mistake on my part ):
the final wasn't too bad, but he gave a list of about 70 terms of which he only picked 6 of them for the exam. and the short passage reading are all readings from tutorial. He also gives you the essay questions (3 of them but he only puts 2 on the exam)

but overall I think if you keep up with tutorial readings and pay attention in lectures and take notes (not just what he has up on the screen but extra notes because those are what's important) it's not a hard course. I never even read the readings assigned for the textbook.

From what I heard about 1A03, I think they would go well together, but to what extent I can't really say.
Old 06-10-2010 at 10:03 AM   #6
Guest253
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

I took 1M03 with Dr. Eilers and i loved the course. Hes a great proff and the material was very interesting. The format was slightly different than from Nicole's proff but it was very similar