MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropping Classics, History 1A03, History 1AA3 or Poli Sci 1G06? Tallee Academics 2 08-21-2010 12:17 AM
Classics 1A03, Classics 1B03 ??? Guest253 Academics 5 06-10-2010 10:03 AM
Anyone take Classics 1M03 before? Bearzin Academics 0 01-02-2009 11:34 PM
Classics 1A03 frozenmelon Academics 1 09-05-2008 01:40 PM

Difference between classics 1A03 and classics 1M03??

Old 07-02-2008 at 09:55 AM   #1
Guest253
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Difference between classics 1A03 and classics 1M03??
hi next year ill be going into engineering. I was looking for an elective to chose but im not sure of the difference between classics 1A03 and classics 1M03. I cant find any reviews about them so if any1 knows anythign about them let me know!
Old 07-02-2008 at 11:05 AM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Giuseppe,
The reasons why you cannot find any reviews about these courses is because they are new. When I was in first year they were different. Here's what the undergraduate calendar says about them:

CLASSICS 1A03 INTRODUCTION TO CLASSICAL ARCHAEOLOGY A study of the history and methodology of Greek and Roman archaeology illustrated with materials from excavated sites.

CLASSICS 1M03 HISTORY OF GREECE AND ROME The history of Greece and Rome from the bronze age to the fall of Rome based on literary, documentary and archaeological evidence.
Two lectures, one tutorial; one term Antirequisite: CLASSICS 1L03, 1LL3, HISTORY 1L03, 1LL3 Cross-list: HISTORY 1M03

So what you're looking at here is one course that is archaeology based (1A03) and one that is more general (1M03). In Classics you can study history through archeology or you can study through primary and secondary sources with only a little bit of archaeology. 1M03 is a more general course and probably the best idea if you're wetting your feet with Classics. See how it says Antirequisite: 1L03, 1LL3? That's what the class was in my year, they've simply combined the two into one class. This course will cover all the major events of Classical history to the fall of Rome but it will be very broad. Cross listing means that you can take this course as a History credit if you want, but it;s the same course nonetheless.

If you're interested in ancient architecture then 1A03 would interest you, if your just looking for some ancient history I would suggest 1M03.

Old 07-02-2008 at 11:30 AM   #3
Guest253
Account Disabled by User

alright thanks alot 4 the help i think then M03 is for me then. sinc eim in engineering would it rlly make a difference if i took it under classics or history ?
Old 07-02-2008 at 12:27 PM   #4
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Nope, wouldn't make a difference for you. The only people that it would affect are people like me who are in Classics or those who are doing History. It's really rather silly but that's a whole different story... Good luck with your courses!

Old 07-03-2008 at 10:41 AM   #5
Guest253
Account Disabled by User

do u know if classics 1M03 counts as a humanities or a social science? case i went on solar tody to pick it cause i thoiught it would open up today with the humanities but it still says full . :S
Old 07-03-2008 at 11:22 AM   #6
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

It would be a Humanities course. If you really want to take it, go talk to the Dr. Eilers, he's a pretty easy going guy and one of my fav Classics profs. I'm sure he can make room for you, in the mean time just attend the classes and keep up. If you show genuine interest in it I'm sure he'll make room for you.

If you're lucky, he'll sing in Latin for you during class. He sang Elvis "Can't Help Falling In Love" in Latin for our class in my first year

Old 07-04-2008 at 06:02 AM   #7
Guest253
Account Disabled by User

alright thanks is his email posted somewhere on the mac site so i could get in touch with him ?
Old 07-04-2008 at 07:53 AM   #8
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Yep, he's listed on the Faculty and Staff of the Classics Dept:

Claude Eilers, D.Phil. (Oxford)
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 905-525-9140, ext. 23380
Office: TSH-708

He's the Undergraduate Advisor for Classics students so I'm sure he'll be able to help some how.