MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classics 2D03? JonC89 Academics 0 03-13-2013 07:13 PM
Classics 3ee3 Greek Historians jocelyn200 Academics 0 03-07-2013 11:08 AM
Classics 1b03 - mythology SweetyTweety Academics 0 10-17-2012 05:23 PM
Age of Mythology, anyone? Iron_Maestro Gaming 3 10-23-2010 07:31 PM
Difference between classics 1A03 and classics 1M03?? Guest253 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-04-2008 07:53 AM

Classics 2D03 Greek & Roman Mythology

Old 06-11-2013 at 09:25 PM   #1
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

Classics 2D03 Greek & Roman Mythology
Hey I really want to take this course but I am unable to find any information regarding the mark breakdown. Haven't been able to find any course outline or review whatsoever. If anyone who has taken it could give me so feedback I would really appreciate it!
Old 06-11-2013 at 10:56 PM   #2
redstarr37

Liked: 9 Times

The course was pretty fun, not too difficult. A lot of readings, but as long as you keep up you should be fine. You go through a lot of stories so reading isn't as much of a chore as it would be for say history. They have a nice narrative to them that keeps you interested. To be honest, you could get away with reading wiki's and summaries on the myths but would miss some of the details from the actual sources.

Obviously things will change with the prof, but I had Graeme Ward last year and he was a pretty good prof. Lectures were always interesting and he had a good style of lecturing. Tests and such were also not too difficult assuming you did the readings. Here's the mark breakdown we had:

Reading Quizzes 10%
Test 1 25%
Test 2 25%
Final Exam 40%

Reading quizes were short pop-quizes he held randomly throughout the term. It was something like five questions you could answer in one word. There weren't too many, so an easy 10% depending on how you approach it.

Here's the books we used as well to give you an idea of the myths you might encounter. Just remember this could change so do go out and buy these expecting to use them:

The Complete Aeschylus Volume I: The Oresteia, P. Burrian & A. Shapiro, eds. (2011)
Euripides, Four Plays: Medea, Hippolytus, Heracles, Bacchae, S. Esposito, ed. (2004)
The Works of Hesiod and the Homeric Hymns, D. Hine, ed. (2005)
Homer, Iliad, R. ***les, trans. (1991)
Ovid, Metamorphoses, C. Martin, trans. (2005)
Vergil, Aeneid, R. ***les, trans. (2008)

Hope this helps.

SweetyTweety likes this.
Old 06-11-2013 at 11:35 PM   #3
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

thanks so much! i took the first year roman mythology course so ive already read the aenied and the illiad so that is probably a definite advantage there. i LOVE greek mythology so im sure ill read all the works anyways. definitely happy there isnt an essay component for this one.
Old 06-12-2013 at 02:48 AM   #4
SilverHawley

Liked: 8 Times

The final exam had an essay component to it though. I believe we got to choose a theme that was taught throughout the term and use stories as your sources for them.

It was a great course and I enjoyed it.
Old 06-12-2013 at 08:17 AM   #5
Bubbles1111

Liked: 19 Times

Did any of you guys take Classics 1A03? If so, what was the mark breakdown? I can't find any info on it :(