MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Med Physics 2A03 "Science 2A03" or Math 2A03 ebfrancis Academics 2 09-01-2009 08:17 AM
Cmst 2b03 Goce 2nd Year Course Reviews 1 07-09-2009 11:24 AM
Cmst 2o03 katrinabell Academics 2 06-26-2009 08:36 AM
New CMST course Chad Academics 4 07-13-2007 02:16 PM

Cmst 2a03

Cmst 2a03
Published by Goce
07-09-2009
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 90%
Cmst 2a03

Although not a stats course, it teaches you the fundamentals of quantitative research so that you can apply it in-class as well as in your future career. This course compliments the parallel course (CMST 2B03 – Qualitative Research Methods).

The course is very interesting and the professor, Dr. Savage, is amazing. Everything is straightforward, as he does not try to trick you. Just read the text, participate, and complete the assignments on time.

In addition, this course tends to have the outline posted in the CMST course listings page, whereas the others do not.

Link: http://csmm.humanities.mcmas ter.ca/courses/CMST2A03.pdf

Notes:
*There is much overlap at the beginning of both the quantitative and qualitative research methods courses.
**It is do-able but not recommended that you take both qualitative and quantitative at the same time as the assignments are usually due on the same dates.

Course Workload:

Participation = 15%
-Tutorial = 10%
-Lecture = 5%
On-line Writing = 20%
-Weekly journal, to be posted by 12:00AM Monday (approx. 12) = 10% total
-2 Learning Summaries (mid-term and end of term) = 10% total

Research Projects = 40%

- 5 page mini-project (1st assignment) = 15%
- 12-15 page mini-project (end of term) = 25%

Final Exam = 25%

---Usually 2hrs in length---

-M/C 20 Qs
-S/A 5-6/10-11 (2 sentences that identify and explain concepts)
-2/5 Essays; topics are ranging and ask you to apply what you have learnt.

kairi9089, qazwini all say thanks to Goce for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Cmst 2a03!

Old 07-09-2009 at 11:26 AM   #2
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 473 Times
This is a general review of the courses for both 2A03 and 2B03, some tips. These tips apply if Professor Philip Savage is teaching the courses.

These courses (CMST 2A03 and 2B03) can be very dry and boring. I also would recommend you don't take both in the same term. There's a lot of cross over material, especially at the beginning and it can get confusing and overwhelming.

I didn't at all care for either course, but I took them b/c they were required. I just found you have to get through them.

They weren't too difficult but the final mini-project can be very daunting task. Don't leave it until the last minute. Make a solid plan with your group and work on it for as long as possible. Leaving it until the last minute was a very, very bad idea and didn't result in a good mark for me.

For the journals put a lot of effort into them. They can really help your mark a lot if you write insightful posts. He likes questions a lot so raise a lot of relevant questions in your entries. They're worth a decent chunk of your mark and don't take a ton of time, it can be like 30 mins a week to keep your mark high. The journals are another reason to not do these two courses in the same term, doing two journals weekly can be annoying and time consuming and you might not put as much effort into the entries if you have to do.

Also this seems like an obvious tip but go to class. He takes attendance for marks and it's easy marks if you show up to every lecture. It would be stupid to piss away marks b/c you don't want to show up. Only miss out if you absolutely have to, missing one or two lectures won't kill your mark.

Same goes for tutorials, they are worth attendance and participation marks. Easy marks again, just talk about the material you learned about in lecture. It's a good review and they help you to understand the material. Also I found a good TA helped make the material more interesting than the lecture slides.

Final note I found the exams were really good. They were relatively easy. If you went to class and tutorials and reviewed key terms and stuff prior to the exam you'd do well on it.

This review goes for 2A03 and 2B03.

kairi9089 says thanks to sew12 for this post.
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 09-02-2011 at 10:50 AM   #3
RoshanthN
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
This course is fairly easy. You have a final project which you do with group members. Dr.Savage is a great professor.
Old 09-02-2011 at 11:13 AM   #4
chryslad
Program: Communication Studies
Year: Alumni

Liked: 5 Times
Dr. Savage is AMAZING.
I too suggest taking them in different terms, as the assignments and material are VERY similar (and boring for the most part). The assignments are relatively easy, but there are alot of them, and they are long! So having both research classes in the same term is UNWISE.
Old 12-21-2012 at 09:04 PM   #5
summercandy
Program: Communication Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 3 Times
Dr. Savage is a great professor. I was extremely nervous to take a stats course (wasn't a stats course) it wasn't as difficult as I thought. The assignments are fair and if you attend class you will receive a good mark. Overall, I enjoyed this course MUCH more than I had originally thought.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search