MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medical Radiation Sciences program = Hardest undergrad program ? mastercool First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 11-27-2011 10:27 PM
Questions about Core Biochemistry Program AnthraX Academics 2 06-13-2010 03:08 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM

Co-op vs. Core program

Old 05-11-2013 at 02:05 PM   #1
oh atoms

Liked: 1 Time

Co-op vs. Core program
Hey guys,

I've been grappling with this decision for a bit now and was hoping someone could perhaps give me different perspectives to think about.

I've applied to the Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics program, and we'll be finding out in at least a month's time (if I remember correctly), if we got into the program or not. I've had a look at the requirements on the Calendar again, since my interests have changed slightly since the last time I've looked at it.

I wasn't sure before if I wanted to go into research, but I've always had medical school at the back of my mind. More recently I've decided that it will be medical school, having completed some work in a research lab. While it's very interesting, it's not something I can see myself doing for the rest of my life.

Sooo now it comes down to whether or not I should stick with the Co-op program (which mostly focuses on research), or switch into Honours Biology. I don't know just yet where I stand with my acceptance into the Co-op program, but it's still confusing me.

Reasons for sticking with it primarily would be the fact that I get to work and make some much needed money, as well as get some job experience/do some networking. I also have the choice of taking just 4 courses per semester, although I'm not sure if I'll end up doing that. I'm also thinking about it in terms of a back up - realistically speaking, what if medical school doesn't work out?

Reasons for not doing it include the limited number of options I get to choose from with their course list - I have no interest in most of the courses, except the genetics courses (not to mention that most of them are difficult). I tend to do better in courses I have a genuine interest in, and I'd hate to have my GPA slaughtered by a bunch of mandatory courses (Physics 1B03 already did that for me) :/ Also, I've heard from many people that when it comes to med school, your GPA matters more, and completing difficult courses isn't viewed as any more impressive.

If I switch back into Honours Bio, I get a ton of freedom (comparatively speaking) as far as a minor/interesting courses goes, and in terms of courses I can take to fulfill requirements (more of which I would actually take). I can also take Mol Bio courses if I want to.

I guess it comes down to if the work experience is really worth it? This is super long, so thank you if you actually read all of it. Feel free to offer any thoughts/words of advice, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 05-11-2013 at 05:52 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh atoms View Post
Hey guys,

I've been grappling with this decision for a bit now and was hoping someone could perhaps give me different perspectives to think about.

I've applied to the Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics program, and we'll be finding out in at least a month's time (if I remember correctly), if we got into the program or not. I've had a look at the requirements on the Calendar again, since my interests have changed slightly since the last time I've looked at it.

I wasn't sure before if I wanted to go into research, but I've always had medical school at the back of my mind. More recently I've decided that it will be medical school, having completed some work in a research lab. While it's very interesting, it's not something I can see myself doing for the rest of my life.

Sooo now it comes down to whether or not I should stick with the Co-op program (which mostly focuses on research), or switch into Honours Biology. I don't know just yet where I stand with my acceptance into the Co-op program, but it's still confusing me.

Reasons for sticking with it primarily would be the fact that I get to work and make some much needed money, as well as get some job experience/do some networking. I also have the choice of taking just 4 courses per semester, although I'm not sure if I'll end up doing that. I'm also thinking about it in terms of a back up - realistically speaking, what if medical school doesn't work out?

Reasons for not doing it include the limited number of options I get to choose from with their course list - I have no interest in most of the courses, except the genetics courses (not to mention that most of them are difficult). I tend to do better in courses I have a genuine interest in, and I'd hate to have my GPA slaughtered by a bunch of mandatory courses (Physics 1B03 already did that for me) :/ Also, I've heard from many people that when it comes to med school, your GPA matters more, and completing difficult courses isn't viewed as any more impressive.

If I switch back into Honours Bio, I get a ton of freedom (comparatively speaking) as far as a minor/interesting courses goes, and in terms of courses I can take to fulfill requirements (more of which I would actually take). I can also take Mol Bio courses if I want to.

I guess it comes down to if the work experience is really worth it? This is super long, so thank you if you actually read all of it. Feel free to offer any thoughts/words of advice, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
You have a year to decide, don't you? You applied to mol bio, but you won't have the option of applying to co-op until next year, and then if you do co-op you'll start in third year. You can stay in mol bio without doing co-op.
In second year the courses are really similar anyways, so you could stay in mol bio for second year and then decide based on how that goes.
Old 05-12-2013 at 07:13 AM   #3
oh atoms

Liked: 1 Time

Hey, so sorry, I forgot the co-op part in that sentence "I've applied to the Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics program, and we'll be finding out in at least a month's time " D:

I'll be going into third year. I finished second year enrolled in mol bio, and liked most of my courses, but as you said, most of the courses across programs are similar which makes it difficult to judge if I'll enjoy upper year courses too.
I've already had my interview for getting into the co-op program, but now I'm having second thoughts about whether I should stick with it if I get in (for the reasons I mentioned in the original post). Thanks!