MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ridiculous Cogeco Internet Speed lawleypop General Discussion 29 02-23-2011 07:02 PM
Cogeco bundle options shleyaa General Discussion 18 06-04-2009 02:06 PM

Cogeco

Old 04-06-2012 at 09:57 AM   #1
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Cogeco
Cogeco is stupid for internet and cable....anyone know a different cable company in Hamilton that is actually decent??
Old 04-06-2012 at 12:57 PM   #2
Flash AhhAhh

Liked: 28 Times

Primus

http://www.primus.ca/en/residential/...SL-Ontario.htm

unlimited for Base of 38.95. Then there is a 5$ rental fee, and a second charge for your location for dry loop i believe (can't really remember, got it earlier this year) (also if you don't have a credit card, they'll take a down payment which will be put to your bills after 6 months or so). my house's bill comes up to 56.81 a month, and between the 6 of us its less then 10 dollars for unlimited internet. the speed is decent, and their customer service is FANTASTIC. Just call them up and see if your area is in range. For reference my house is in Westdale (currently near metro, and next year we will be moving a few blocks closer to the school) and we didn't have a problem. However they do not offer cable and TV services, but with unlimited internet you can access just about everything you could with a TV, save the commercials every 10 minutes .

I've heard that some people in Hamilton have managed to get teksavvy to work in their area http://teksavvy.com/en/default.asp . Their prices and speeds are great so check if they offer in your location. (They dont have cable either tho)

Also cogeco is super balls, I wish you luck avoiding them!

hope that helps!

Last edited by Flash AhhAhh : 04-06-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2012 at 02:16 PM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

lol love cogeco in comparison to bell. Bell killed us with overcharges and extremely slow internet. Now we have unlimited, 50mb/s + internet for only a bit more per person. Buffering? Downtime? havent seen it in a while.
Old 04-06-2012 at 02:49 PM   #4
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

TEKSAVVY
TEKSAVVY
TEKSAVVY
No exceptions.
Old 04-06-2012 at 04:17 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

teksavvy uses rents lower tier bell server space and resells it.
in addition to above,shaw
Old 04-06-2012 at 06:30 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

TekSavvy is okay. Their prices are good but their service is "okay". They claim to offer up to 6 mbps down and 800k up but the speeds are never close to that. The download speeds are always around 4 mbps (regardless of the time) and the upload speed I don't care about much but usually is 650k up. The upload speed isn't off by that much I suppose but the download speed is for me.
Old 04-06-2012 at 06:56 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

regardless of what plan u are getting from what company, a huge factor is related to location. cousin got the same plan as a friend who lived down the street, friend was 20% faster
Old 04-06-2012 at 07:09 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
regardless of what plan u are getting from what company, a huge factor is related to location. cousin got the same plan as a friend who lived down the street, friend was 20% faster
I think that is obvious. Though, when you say up to 6 mbps down, 5 mbps down is even fine but 4 is a bit too low.
Old 04-06-2012 at 07:52 PM   #9
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
incorrect. this is only for DSL. The closer you are to the hub (usually at the top of the street) then the faster your speeds will be (up to the maximum). This is only applicable for Bell, teksavvy, AOL and a few others.

Cable uniformly distributes the bandwidth (which is nearly always far higher) for all routers connected to that hub system (1-3 hubs in mcmaster area). While there may be slowdowns, everyone will receive similar slowdowns. This will apply to cogeco and shaw (which is only apparently on the mountain).

In any case cable is almost always faster than dsl, despite and advertised "max speeds". We had the bell 16mb/s plan and always had around 4-10 which we found too slow. With cogeco (max 50 rated) we can pull 20-50mb/s consistently even after downloading 300-900 GB worth of data in a month (6 VERY heavy users) with no major slowdowns, throttling or dropouts.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 04-06-2012 at 08:49 PM   #10
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
incorrect. this is only for DSL. The closer you are to the hub (usually at the top of the street) then the faster your speeds will be (up to the maximum). This is only applicable for Bell, teksavvy, AOL and a few others.

Cable uniformly distributes the bandwidth (which is nearly always far higher) for all routers connected to that hub system (1-3 hubs in mcmaster area). While there may be slowdowns, everyone will receive similar slowdowns. This will apply to cogeco and shaw (which is only apparently on the mountain).

In any case cable is almost always faster than dsl, despite and advertised "max speeds". We had the bell 16mb/s plan and always had around 4-10 which we found too slow. With cogeco (max 50 rated) we can pull 20-50mb/s consistently even after downloading 300-900 GB worth of data in a month (6 VERY heavy users) with no major slowdowns, throttling or dropouts.
^agreed. In my experience I've found cable service to be much more consistent than DSL.
Old 04-07-2012 at 11:59 AM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post

Yup.

Thats why DSL is a hit and miss in terms of your sync rate, but Cable can slow down @ peak hours if everyone on the node is downloading
Old 04-07-2012 at 07:26 PM   #12
JACrazy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Anyone know how well TekSavvy's cable internet is and if you would recommend it over their DSL. The cable offers better speeds for similar prices.