MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
2008 DVD Referendum Results Chad MacInsiders Announcements 33 10-27-2008 12:38 AM

Coke Referendum Results

Old 02-09-2010 at 02:00 AM   #15
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino View Post
Ugh, so many people don't get what the whole referendum was about. Voting no to the referendum doesn't mean "more variety".
Yeah, I have the feeling that that's what they thought when they voted no.

Old 02-09-2010 at 02:20 AM   #16
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times
who did the wording on the ballot ?Can we have a referendum on ballot writing?

danallan likes this.

Old 02-09-2010 at 08:48 AM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Once again proving that the majority is retarded and democracy fails.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Deegs14, dmzz, sniderj like this.

Old 02-09-2010 at 08:53 AM   #18
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Once again proving that the majority is retarded and democracy fails.
This conversation actually came up during the ballot counting lol. Sometimes it seems that having one or two experts control everything would be much more efficient than having a whole bunch of people who know nothing make the decisions.

danallan likes this.

Old 02-09-2010 at 08:56 AM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
This conversation actually came up during the ballot counting lol. Sometimes it seems that having one or two experts control everything would be much more efficient than having a whole bunch of people who know nothing make the decisions.
That's pretty much my life view.

Old 02-09-2010 at 09:27 AM   #20
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino View Post
Ugh, so many people don't get what the whole referendum was about. Voting no to the referendum doesn't mean "more variety".
Actually, with an exclusive contract, only products that didn't have a Coke equivalent were allowed. For example: the low calorie version of Gatorade. So if there was a competing juice, like Tropicana, it wouldn't be allowed because Minute Maid has its own orange juice. Aside from my issue with Coke's business practices, Minute Maid is pretty gross.

The Union Market manager has yet to get back to our questions regarding bringing in non-Coke options, but from our discussion with John McGowan it is possible, but obviously more difficult to order from two companies rather than one.

Some of the spoiled ballots were hilarious.

Last edited by Lij : 02-09-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: grammar

Old 02-09-2010 at 10:07 AM   #21
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times
Autocracy is.......good? I think Churchill would beg to differ:

"Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time. "

Old 02-09-2010
lawleypop
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-09-2010 at 10:15 AM   #22
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

I suppose Winston Churchill is just your ordinary joe, then? And on the same intellectual level as that lovable little Austrian Adolf?

Philosophically, I agree with you. Plato had it right - the best society would be one with a small ruling class of the intellectual elite. It sounds bulletproof on paper, but sadly that's not what happens in reality; humans are just too damn corruptible.

........I apologize for the thread hijacking.....lol

Old 02-09-2010 at 10:19 AM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
I suppose Winston Churchill is just your ordinary joe, then? And on the same intellectual level as that lovable little Austrian Adolf?

Philosophically, I agree with you. Plato had it right - the best society would be one with a small ruling class of the intellectual elite. It sounds bulletproof on paper, but sadly that's not what happens in reality; humans are just too damn corruptible.

........I apologize for the thread hijacking.....lol
And humans are too bloody stupid to vote/decide on shit.
Case in point.
Imagine if this was actually something IMPORTANT.

Someone PLEASE take away my right to vote if it means that decisions won't be left to the emotions and (lack of) intelligence of the masses.

Old 02-09-2010 at 10:25 AM   #24
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

So we have mass corruption on the one hand, and mass stupidity on the other......

..............anarchy , anyone?

I'll take that over bureaucracy, pandemic stupidity, or total oppression any day.

Old 02-09-2010 at 10:29 AM   #25
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
So we have mass corruption on the one hand, and mass stupidity on the other......

I'll take that over bureaucracy, pandemic stupidity, or total oppression any day.
I'd take mass corruption and oppression over "fundamental right to vote" any day.

But anarchy is appealing.

Last edited by lawleypop : 02-09-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Old 02-09-2010 at 10:45 AM   #26
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times
Quote:

Shmowen, have you ever taken a class in philosophy?

I'd just like to remind the people that are going all abstract with this thread that this is about a referendum on Coke and NOT one about actual governance. This means that oppression cannot happen under these circumstances.

I voted "NO" for a few reasons:

1. Coke sucks.
2. It would be nice to have greater variety.
3. It would be nice to have healthier options - I personally don't think we should have as much pop as we do now.
4. I have an interest in the major alternative, Pepsi, being here.

Obviously, reasons #2,3, and 4 are more legitimate than reason #1. Obviously, #2-4 may not happen but there is a greater possibility of one or more happening now due to a lot of people voting "NO".

Last edited by Goce : 02-09-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Old 02-09-2010 at 10:47 AM   #27
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

easy love don't take it personally eh?

Old 02-09-2010 at 10:55 AM   #28
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Shmowen, have you ever taken a class in philosophy?

I'd just like to remind the people that are going all abstract with this thread that this is about a referendum on Coke and NOT one about actual governance. This means that oppression cannot happen under these circumstances.

I voted "NO" for a few reasons:

1. Coke sucks.
2. It would be nice to have greater variety.
3. It would be nice to have healthier options - I personally don't think we should have. as much pop as we do now.
4. I have an interest in the major alternative, Pepsi, being here.

Obviously, reasons #2,3, and 4 are more legitimate than reason #1. Obviously, 2-4 may not happen but there is a greater possibility one or more happening now due to a lot of people voting "NO".
Again, I apologize for hijacking the thread - I was merely dallying in the political ideology which was being mentioned.

And I have taken philosophy courses, which really doesn't qualify me or anyone to make statements about philosophy - taking one class in anything does not mean you can make significant claims about that discipline. But I do read Plato for fun.

ANYWHO.......I hereby give this thread BACK to the Coke Referendum.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search