MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting H1N1 Into Perspective Taunton General Discussion 23 11-06-2009 11:14 PM
First year Math - A TA's Perspective Mowicz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 109 08-26-2009 08:20 PM
First Year Experience Series Part Eleven: Ron Chad First Year Experiences 0 07-27-2007 07:49 PM

Coming to Mac: My Perspective

Old 07-25-2007 at 04:48 PM   #1
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

Coming to Mac: My Perspective
Coming To Mac
A First-Year's Perspective

By Ron Levitin

Are you a new first year student coming to Mac in September? Do you sometimes feel like you are caught between the excitement of going to University and the fear of uncertainty?

Well, so do I. As some of you may know, my name is Ron Levitin and I'm an incoming first year student going to the Faculty of Sciences. This is my story on what coming to Mac has been like for me (so far, anyway...).

As of May 26th, 2007, just two days before the OUAC deadline, I still had no idea where I wanted to go for University. I live in Toronto and had applied to 4 universities. I applied to both U of T and York, because of my mom (She was obviously hoping I'd stay close to home), as well as Western and McMaster. When it came down to it, my choice was really between Western and McMaster. As I'm sure many will agree, the choice of University to attend is one of those cross-roads in life where any choice you make will lead you down very different paths.

I had already visited both campuses and they are both small and beautiful. Both Universities have a stupendous reputation (Western leaning a tad on the partying side, Mac more towards the academics), and a LOT of my friends chose to go to Western, while not so many even applied to McMaster. It was a tough choice, but when it came down to it I (obviously) chose Mac. The biggest draw was the friendly, helpful, community feeling I noticed at Mac that was simply lacking at any of the other Universities.

Upon accepting the McMaster offer on OUAC, I knew I'd made the right choice. I quickly applied for Residence and submitted it before the deadline, then set out to learn as much as possible about my future home.

The first place I went was Facebook, where I quickly joined all the McMaster groups I could find, and found that I really was not alone in many of the questions, concerns, and thoughts that I had. I decided that since few people seemed to know answers, the next best place to go was the Mac Website, where I found lots of information about the remaining steps in the registration process and the events that are going on @ Mac during the summer.

For me, my largest concerns were the living conditions I'd have to put up with, the difficulty of the work, and of course, the *very slight* possibility of not being able to make any friends and end up having a miserable year.

Through the internet, however, most of my concerns have been relieved. I managed to meet plenty of amazing people going to Mac next year through Facebook, I found out about MacInsiders (which is a great source of info), and I have been assured that life in residence at mac is all about what the people in my res make of it... as for the work being to hard for me to handle... I'll just have to wait until September to see how that turns out, but in the meantime, I prefer not to think about it

Last edited by rlevitin : 07-27-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2007 at 04:49 PM   #2
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

I don't really know what else I can add/what I should cut out...

Suggestions welcome!
Old 07-25-2007 at 04:49 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

oooo this looks like its becoming a very exciting article Ron
Old 07-25-2007 at 04:51 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Looks perfect. I like all the personal touches and mention about the usefulness of Facebook.

Let me know if you're ready for me to post it on the homepage.

Also, I think the title "Student Perspectives" could be cool... I think it would be amazing if you could find some friends from Facebook who are also first year students to write something just like this about themselves and we turn this into a Series what do you think?
Old 07-25-2007 at 05:13 PM   #5
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Its possible, we'll see how it goes. I'm curious to see if Danielle has any ideas before I finalize it.

Are there any other MacInsiders staff? (You, me, Danielle, and ...?)
Old 07-25-2007 at 07:35 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

you have to stop calling me that!!! we're undergoing the naming process now though...so don't you worry.

well, you need a title, haha. And I like the idea of Student Perspectives as a GENERAL title, but I think each student should thnik of something a little more specific. Perhaps Student Perspectives: The Crossroads or Approaching a Crossroads of something.

And, if I may...when you mention residence...write something along the lines of B-A-T-E-S! DON'T GET MAD CUZ WE'RE THE BEST! WHAAT? BBBATES! WHAAT? BBBATES! (and make no mention of me specifically...or I'll kill you...)

And there are more staff, apparently...I just haven't seen them around...

Also, you're stealing the idea of my contest damn it! However mine is soc sci exclusive, so I'm cool with it...my only (other) request is you don't take soc sci students away from me, Ron!
Old 07-25-2007 at 10:30 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Did I hear the word 'contest'? I'm intrigued. Tell me more!
Old 07-26-2007 at 09:06 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

As this wasn't clear (as Chad told me this morning): Chad is the one who stole the contest idea from me...and it's for first year soc sci students.
Old 07-27-2007 at 01:59 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

ahhh ok lol. Well he isn't soc sci so I win

Im going to post this up on the site... what should the title be?
Old 07-27-2007 at 02:46 PM   #10
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

I just changed the title to the subject... feel free to modify it/add pictures/ do whatever to it before you post...
Old 07-27-2007 at 07:37 PM   #11
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

im going to insert a photo of you

btw, im adding you to the staff/about page as well
Old 07-27-2007 at 07:49 PM   #12
Chad
MacInsiders Staff