MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting H1N1 Into Perspective Taunton General Discussion 23 11-06-2009 11:14 PM
TA's are not legally REQUIRED to strike samikas General Discussion 52 11-03-2009 06:18 PM
Coming to Mac: My Perspective rlevitin General Discussion 13 07-31-2007 09:21 AM
First Year Experience Series Part Eleven: Ron Chad First Year Experiences 0 07-27-2007 07:49 PM

First year Math - A TA's Perspective

Old 08-25-2009 at 02:07 PM   #1
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

First year Math - A TA's Perspective
Hey guys.

Again if you don't know me, my name is Mike and I'm a graduate student in the department of Math and Stats. I'm not sure if anyone is aware, but there is a lot of research being done looking into why first year students don't do as well in university level math, even when they have done very well in highschool.

I was recently asked to give my input as to why I think this is, and it is as follows:

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mowicz

I report this information with the following authority:

-I TA'd Math 1N03 in Fall 2006
-I regularly tutor students in Calculus/Linear Algebra
-And naturally, I experienced being a first year calculus student myself

That being said, I believe [students don't perform as well] simply because students don't use the resources they have in front of them. There are so many effective tools (that I luckily, took advantage of) such as the Math Help Centre, the Mathematics Review Manual, and Professor/TA office hours. I believe there are three factors which inhibit student usage of said resources:

1) A lack of knowledge - It is surprising how many students do not know a resource even exists...even though efforts are clearly put forth to advertise them.

2) Over Confidence - Many of the students I am friends with who did well in highschool did very poorly in Math 1A and ceased their mathematical careers. This is because while I was sitting there, using my review manual, they thought it was 'lame' or I was 'stupid' for needing something like that. I'd imagine it's hard for an over confident student to accept help from even a professor or TA if they feel fully confident and capable.

3) Politeness - This is the one that affected me in first year. I did not want to 'bother' any professors or TAs with my problems. I felt as though their time was reserved for people with more severe issues.

I believe to solve this problem, TAs will need to work not only on their technical skills, not only their teaching ability, but they must also be approachable. They must break down barriers with students, and allow the students to feel comfortable talking with them. Specifically, every student should feel as though their TA/Professor is making the effort, and that they can rely on him or her.

As a graduate TA, I hope to address the three issues by letting people know that Math changes drastically (and even strong math students have much to learn) in a subtle way, to emphasize that I'm there to help. Everyone is capable but needs a little help now and then: there are countless resources at their disposal.

To rank the three factors in order of their impact:

1) Politeness (Least impact)
2) Lack of Knowledge
3) Over Confidence (Greatest impact)
However, I believe over confidence occurs the least frequently, and politeness the most.

So to the first year math students: Please please please bother your TA/Professor. It's what they are there for.

Also, feel free to offer any input on the matter. What challenges do / did you face as an incoming math student? (We have a graduate student doing a research project on this...it's gonna be great)

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-25-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2009 at 02:40 PM   #2
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

This is interesting. And don't you think this goes for many other classes as well including sciences? I definitely believe a lot of students don't want to bother a professor because after all he is a professor. Its a title that makes it seem like he is too important to bother with a silly little question which may end up not being so silly and on an exam. I'm one of those students that rarely asks a teacher for help even when I need it though I do persist the matter otherwise by trying to solve it myself and most of the time I succeed. However, all of these things you mentioned are very important indeed.

Old 08-25-2009 at 02:54 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

There is no such thing as a stupid question. When you ask your "stupid question", you're doing several other kids a favour because they were thinking of the same thing.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-25-2009 at 03:01 PM   #4
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
There is no such thing as a stupid question. When you ask your "stupid question", you're doing several other kids a favour because they were thinking of the same thing.
That's true but the real funny part is when someone does ask a stupid question. You know those rare moments when this one kid in the class just asks the most obvious question and everyone laughs. Maybe they did it for laughs maybe not but those times sure were funny. But then again that was high school, and I'm sure more competent students are in university.

Old 08-25-2009 at 03:06 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
This is interesting. And don't you think this goes for many other classes as well including sciences?
Peoples attitudes may be similar, but for some unknown reason people do very poorly in math (more poorly than other first year courses). If someone gets 98% in say biology in highschool, and they come to university and get a 60%, they more likely than not, know exactly what mistakes they've made.

Math on the other hand, seems inexplicable a lot of the time...many times the strongest math students do the most poorly...and it's just so severe that it's prompted research into the matter. Dr. Lovric's been looking into it for a while.
Old 08-25-2009 at 03:13 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I once asked a teacher why 5/2.5 = 2.
In 11th grade.

I thought it was a 25 and was unsure of this "new math" she was using.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-25-2009 at 03:20 PM   #7
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

maybe low confidence is another factor. Some people I know, (myself included for most of my high school math courses), reviewed well for tests and did practice problems fine. But sometimes, people panic during test situations and their minds goes blank. I remember just staring at the test paper for 20 minutes and not understanding anything but would calm down by then and write the test but obviously it would be a race with the clock by then and so some questions were not completed. I guess to overcome this is to write tests.
Old 08-25-2009 at 03:28 PM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Sinthu: Would practice tests help? And I mean either practice as in:

Option 1) I give you a test to take home, with solutions, and you write it yourself, on your own time, OR:
Option 2) I hold a practice test that students can come and write in a silent environment with no notes, for an hour like 2 days before the real test

(I'm willing to do that if it will help students gain the necessary confidence)
Old 08-25-2009 at 03:31 PM   #9
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Sinthu: Would practice tests help? And I mean either practice as in:

Option 1) I give you a test to take home, with solutions, and you write it yourself, on your own time, OR:
Option 2) I hold a practice test that students can come and write in a silent environment with no notes, for an hour like 2 days before the real test

(I'm willing to do that if it will help students gain the necessary confidence)
I think option 2 helps because you are creating the same atmosphere though option 1 is also helpful too if option 2 is not possible.
Old 08-25-2009 at 03:33 PM   #10
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
I'm sure more competent students are in university.
Actually, you'd be surprised.

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 08-25-2009 at 03:33 PM   #11
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
maybe low confidence is another factor. Some people I know, (myself included for most of my high school math courses), reviewed well for tests and did practice problems fine. But sometimes, people panic during test situations and their minds goes blank. I remember just staring at the test paper for 20 minutes and not understanding anything but would calm down by then and write the test but obviously it would be a race with the clock by then and so some questions were not completed. I guess to overcome this is to write tests.
I donno for me I missed around 30 of my calculus classes and didn't do homework and only studied a day or 2 before a test and I did fantastic...but then again I have natural talent with math...don't get me wrong though I will definitely not be doing that in uni and this was just that class because I found it easy and boring lol.

Old 08-25-2009 at 03:34 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Usually people blank out because of low confidence which is the result of not studying enough or thinking that you didn't study enough.

Ways to avoid this is to not cram at the last moment. "Study" throughout the term by reviewing notes every weekend. There are a lot of benefits to studying early such as you are studying at a low stress time, if you come across something you don't understand you can go and get help (via the teachers or TAs) and most importantly you'll know if you retained the information before the test which leads to increased confidence and overall satisfaction.
Old 08-25-2009 at 03:34 PM   #13
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Actually, you'd be surprised.
Haha you know what I knew someone was going to say that.

Old 08-25-2009 at 03:39 PM   #14
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Haha you know what I knew someone was going to say that.
It's the truth.
Old 08-25-2009 at 03:50 PM   #15
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
I donno for me I missed around 30 of my calculus classes and didn't do homework and only studied a day or 2 before a test and I did fantastic...but then again I have natural talent with math...don't get me wrong though I will definitely not be doing that in uni and this was just that class because I found it easy and boring lol.
Well, good for you.

My suggestion is not really about having a talent in math or whatever because people do have the skills, (though I guess some people may not because they have not prepared well), but I guess the fear of failing that comes up during the test causes some to go blank.