Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commerce 3AB3 (Accounting) LIBORplustwo Academics 13 08-31-2012 01:22 PM

Commerce 1AA3(Accounting)

Old 06-24-2014 at 04:09 AM   #1
hanaamin

Liked: 0 Times

Commerce 1AA3(Accounting)
Hi im a life sci student and considering to take this as one of my electives since ive been taking it in high school. Yay or nay in terms of the course load and the level of difficulty
Old 06-24-2014 at 09:37 AM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

The basics are obviously covered but goes much more in depth. There are many practice questions to go through so if you have time to do it then do it. I would suggest a different elective that consumes less time
Old 06-24-2014 at 07:10 PM   #3
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

Since you've taken accounting in high school, a lot of this course will be review. However, there is some new content (especially the last two chapters on long-term liabilities and owner's equity). There's a lot of practice questions that you will need to understand to do well on the exams. I wouldn't say that this course is overly demanding, but it's definitely not a course you can cram for.
Old 06-24-2014 at 10:03 PM   #4
hanaamin

Oh really? But the exam or midterms questions are doable right? I mean if u study u can do it right? How about the assignments and quizes? Do they need a lot of effort to get them done? Thankssss
Old 06-24-2014 at 10:22 PM   #5
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

The course is very manageable, I never took any accounting in high school and I took Commerce 2AA3 (this course before it was moved to first year) this summer first term and I got an 11. However, it is not a course you should take and expect to be a breeze without understanding the material, the course had a bisecting distribution of marks, so 30% got D's and 30% got A- above. Prof is excellent.
Old 06-25-2014 at 10:13 PM   #6
hanaamin

Oh really?? So that was like ur first accounting course uve ever taken? So do u think I should take it considering im in lifesci 1st year?
Old 06-26-2014 at 12:37 AM   #7
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanaamin View Post
Oh really?? So that was like ur first accounting course uve ever taken? So do u think I should take it considering im in lifesci 1st year?
To be honest, No. If you want to maintain a high cGPA for future grad school consideration or professional programs, I think it is much more beneficial to stick with courses where they have a track record of people doing well without much effort. Such as Geography courses or Economics courses, Accounting is tedious and needs time and I think as a life science student, it is not a resource you can spare.
Old 06-26-2014 at 01:47 AM   #8
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

you will be fine taking it as an elective especially since you know most of the material already. its the same as any course. need to put time into it to do well just like most first year courses.
Old 06-26-2014 at 02:16 PM   #9
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

like mentioned above, it is doable but requires a good deal of effort. thats just how accounting courses work. if you put in the effort you will get a good mark, if not you wont do well.