Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Physics 1E03 ericvan1 1st Year Course Reviews 3 06-09-2010 10:16 AM

Commerce 1E03

Old 07-25-2008 at 12:30 PM   #16
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Commerce 1E03
Ohhhhh the Commerce class from hell! Commerce 1E03 with Rita Cossaaaaa. That name will be a synonym with th devil by the time you're done this class. The material is interesting indeed, but the way things are marked are EXTREAMELY EXTREAMELY HARD, which is what gives people such low marks in this...

Last edited by samantha__ : 07-25-2008 at 04:47 PM.

all say thanks to samantha__ for this post.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:16 PM   #15
fabittyfab

Liked: 0 Times
This class doesn't have to be hell for you. You just HAVE TO follow the instructions Cossa gives you at the beginning of the course and you can get a 10 or 11 in the course...good luck getting a 12 though. My advice is pretty much the same as hers (and now I know from experience): start the report early and make sure you track your group's progress so you can get it all done ahead of time; read the textbook slowly and pick up on the little details; go to class - seriously.

The midterms are a lot easier than the dreaded Report you'll all have to painfully complete. I'd also advise you meet with Rita to ask her to clarify ANY and EVERY question you have concerning the details of what you have to do with the report so you know you're on the right path.

I slacked on one of the midterms and did pretty badly but I studied for the final exam and ended with a 10 in the course. The report's only worth 20% so if you mess it up bigtime just redeem yourself by studying later. This course was the most "university-like" course I did all year - it's pretty structured and formal. You get out of it exactly what you put into it!
Old 06-26-2011 at 07:44 PM   #16
m.lam

Liked: 1 Time
I had Professor Cossa for COMM 1E03, and from my perspective I find that most of her midterm and final exam questions are based on the textbook. I recommend when studying for her exams, study the textbook first and then briefly look over her lecture notes. Plus, have a head start on your report assignment cause the report worth 20% of your final grade.
Old 08-25-2011 at 01:05 AM   #17
atyc.chao

For Commerce 1E03, this course I would say is really a challenging course. Your professor is Rita Cossa and I must say, she is one hell of a tough marker. Your grade will be comprised of a group report, 2 midterm tests, and a final exam. Her midterm tests and exam are very fair, as long as you read the textbook and go to the lectures to fill out blanks, you have no trouble getting a good mark. But it is the group report that really is a pain in the ass. I got 48/100 on the group report last year and my group and I put a lot of effort into it, at least 15 group meetings and a lot of all nighters. The place where marks will be lost is MAINLY in the citations and referencing. IT IS A PAIN! So first years, be prepared!
Old 01-09-2012 at 07:58 AM   #18
dvan

Liked: 1 Time
Did you guys find purchasing the connect card useful or necessary?
Old 03-21-2012 at 10:07 AM   #19
tucanj

I was in commerce 1b03. For people considering taking this course, it is the same as the 1e03 course except that there are no tutorials (and the work for them such as presentations).

As for connect, I found it to be a semi-useful study tool as they had practice questions and cue cards that I used before each midterm. It is the kind of thing that is not necessary but will bump you up 5 or more percent if you use it. You decide.
Old 06-20-2012 at 11:11 AM   #20
AndreK

Commerce 1E03 Review
Cossa 2011-2012

Overall Rating 7
Professor Rating 7
Interest 8
Easiness 7

First of all, be prepared to learn about the business environment. You will not be learning accounting; and there are no numbers, only definitions. It’s strictly about the Canadian business environment, and is hardly even a good overview of business in general.

The course starts with the McMaster edition of the Business Environment textbook. My biggest advice… READ! If you never attend the lectures and do nothing but thoroughly read and know the textbook, you will end up with about an 80% on your tests. The lectures do carry important information that will not be in the textbook however, so be sure to attend all classes. Every test including the exam is multiple choice, and they are fairly straightforward questions.
Tip: the practice questions Rita has are almost always on the tests/exam.

The biggest challenge is the Group Report! If you hand in the Report thinking “oh, I’ll probably get an 80..” you will get a flat-out zero. Take the feedback from the first assignment (Team Contract) seriously. Again my advice is to READ! Thoroughly read through the Citation Guide for Business, and thoroughly read your Report over and over again to make sure there are no mistakes (because chances are you will have made a few).

Old 12-31-2012 at 02:55 PM   #21
dashtib

Is the textbook from the Commerce 1BO3 the same as 1EO3?
Old 06-04-2014 at 05:37 AM   #22
zrb253

Is it true that you need to take this course before you take Commerce 1BA3?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search