MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
★★2nd year Commerce question★★(It says the title has to be very long in order to....) smshlyxlhl Academics 5 08-10-2010 08:59 PM
Commerce Internship Question DarkReaper Academics 1 06-13-2010 02:49 PM
COMMERCE CITATION QUESTION (urgent!!) lawleypop General Discussion 7 10-18-2009 12:08 AM
Question about the Commerce program 12345 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 04-18-2009 08:06 PM
Final Exam Deferral Question (Commerce Program) blooreema Academics 1 04-17-2009 02:37 AM

Commerce Question

Old 01-12-2010 at 09:20 PM   #1
sere

Liked: 0 Times

Commerce Question
Hi, I'm registered in business level 1 program. One of the requirements for admission to commerce II is:

One of ANTHRO 1A03, GEO 1HS3, PSYCH 1A03 or SOCIOL 1A06

I took PSYCH 1A03 and failed it. I was wondering if I take GEO 1HS3 this term (and pass it), will I still be qualified for level II commerce? I know students are only allowed to fail up to 6 units (of electives).

Last edited by sere : 01-12-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2010 at 09:24 PM   #2
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Yes, you'll be qualified for Commerce II. The course you failed will just act as an elective. You'll need to make up for it though...
Old 01-12-2010 at 09:45 PM   #3
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
Yes, you'll be qualified for Commerce II. The course you failed will just act as an elective. You'll need to make up for it though...
What he said.
Old 01-12-2010 at 10:10 PM   #4
sere

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks so much! So I have to make up for it through summer school?
Old 01-12-2010 at 10:17 PM   #5
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

"To be considered for entry into Commerce II a Business I student must have met all of the following:
achieved a CA of at least 5.0 on a minimum of 24 units of course work for Business I (on first attempts only) and these must include all required courses of the Business I program;
successfully completed on first attempts only all Business I required courses (See Business I Requirements below.)
must successfully complete ALL required units of Business I course work and successfully complete enough units of elective course work where the total of successful units of course work equals 24 units;
have successfully completed ECON 2X03 if registered in this course in Business I. (ECON 2X03 is not required for admission to Commerce II. Students who elect to register in ECON 2X03 in Business I and who do not successfully complete the course, will not be permitted to enter Commerce II.)"

This means that you can enter Commerce II without that elective (as long as you don't fail anything else). BUT, at some point during your academic career you will need to take one extra elective to satisfy the total requirements. Probably a good idea to do it in the summer if you can, so you don't get behind too early.
Old 01-12-2010 at 10:17 PM   #6
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sere View Post
Thanks so much! So I have to make up for it through summer school?
I think you can make it up any time throughout your 4 years. However, I would definitely recommend making it up in summer school. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2010 at 02:18 PM   #7
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

Go and see Lori Hill. She'll set you on the right track.
Old 01-20-2010 at 11:12 PM   #8
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
(ECON 2X03 is not required for admission to Commerce II. Students who elect to register in ECON 2X03 in Business I and who do not successfully complete the course, will not be permitted to enter Commerce II.)"
What's the logic behind that? Why are they punishing students who attempt to get a head start and fail?
Old 01-21-2010 at 10:43 PM   #9
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

I can ask Dr. Bontis for the full scoop, but if I were to speculate it's there to act as a deterrent. If everyone leapt ahead and did 2X03 things would fall apart. Rest assured though 2X03 is not that difficult if you passed 1M03. You'll only go to a first or second level derivative. And this is from someone who HATES economics.