MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Communication Studies + Minor? MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-03-2011 09:07 PM
Communication Studies Advice?! AZTF First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 01-06-2010 11:33 AM
LABOUR STUDIES 1A03 or COMMUNICATION STUDIES? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-28-2009 05:43 PM
Communication Studies & Multimedia NRoshanth Academics 9 01-12-2009 02:59 AM

Communication Studies

Old 07-29-2011 at 03:46 PM   #1
Mabdel

Liked: 0 Times

Communication Studies
I'm going into first year Nursing and my elective is communication studies. I'm wondering about the load: more writing or reading? What type of assignments or evaluations are there? Did you find it easy?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2011 at 03:48 PM   #2
LindsayL216

Liked: 7 Times

Hey, what semester are you taking communication studies? I have that as well
Old 07-29-2011 at 04:12 PM   #3
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Definitely should be more reading than writing, I'll explain the should in a sec.

As for assignments, it was a pretty slack course in my opinion. We had 2 journals to write (1 page reflections on given articles, informal), an opinion piece on something radio-related that was 800 words, and an 8 page double spaced essay. We did also have a group presentation for tutorials, but it was pretty much a case where you regurgitate what the prof talked about in lectures that week onto a PowerPoint, and provide examples/make activities out of it. The exam was 100 MC questions, but they were really easy ones; you had to know facts and stuff, but it was more general ideas than actual dates/times/names. Oh, and there's NO MIDTERM!

There were weekly assigned textbook readings to compliment the lectures, as well as a bunch of additional articles to read too (testable material). However, I went through the whole term without having the book of articles and read one chapter of the textbook; I just lucked out in that when exams rolled around, people starting sending mass e-mails out to create study groups. So I picked a group, and chose the section of the book I already read for my presentation, made study notes for it, and we all exchanged our chapters.

So yeah, there should be a lot of reading, but most of it is also self-explanatory enough that you won't need to read for details, just content. It's a really good elective with a really light workload, and it's pretty interesting too.

LindsayL216 says thanks to Zimonada for this post.
Old 07-29-2011 at 05:35 PM   #4
Manley

Liked: 14 Times

It all depends who is teaching the course. Regardless, it is a great class and fairly light but the structure depends on who is teaching it--Dr. Sevigny or Dr. Flynn. What Zimonada said is fairly accurate for Dr. Hirji (and maybe Savage). Sevigny does blog posts, couple of assignments and a written exam I'm fairly certain.

Anywho, its a great course and fairly light, but the structure does change significantly depending on who the Prof is.
Old 07-29-2011 at 08:47 PM   #5
Mabdel

Liked: 0 Times

It's first semester for me!
Thanks to all who posted

Oh and I think it's Sevigny...will that mean it's going to be hard and a heavy load?

Last edited by Mabdel : 07-29-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2011 at 08:54 PM   #6
LindsayL216

Liked: 7 Times

Aww, mine's term 2 :( I wanted Sevigny, but I think another class conflicted with it in that semester.
Old 07-29-2011 at 09:01 PM   #7
Manley

Liked: 14 Times

Sevigny's a great prof. A little daunting, but you will get a lot out of the class. This is a first year class so as long as you put the effort in you will be fine!

Dr. Flynn just recently moved to the Department of Communications and Multimedia from Degroote--his background is in Public Relations. Both Flynn and Sevigny work together very closely (they run Degroote's Master of Communications Management program) so 1A03 will likely be structured similarly.
Old 07-29-2011 at 09:45 PM   #8
ghumanm

Liked: 10 Times

oh i was gonna take that, but then i dropped it .. what other electives do yu have ? (: