MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How competitive is the biophysio/bio program sadeghi94 Academics 0 12-23-2012 10:44 PM
Life Science ..competitive? Missions Introduce Yourself 13 05-11-2011 07:26 PM
Any competitive CS players around? nawedc Gaming 6 11-05-2010 12:50 PM
How competitive is it to get into 2nd year engineering programs? DD88 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 05-04-2010 08:29 PM

Is the Communications program competitive?

Old 02-12-2013 at 06:05 PM   #1
Vessi
Tiny

Liked: 44 Times

Is the Communications program competitive?
How difficult is it to get into the Communications program? I would like to double major Multimedia and Communications and am wondering how competitive the Communications program is. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2013 at 06:29 PM   #2
SilverHawley

Liked: 8 Times

Communications isn't very competitive as far as I know. Multimedia limits to around 40-50 students a year though.
Old 02-12-2013 at 06:31 PM   #3
Vessi
Tiny

Liked: 44 Times

Do you know the approx grade to get into Communications? I recently screwed up an assignment with formatting and got a 76 on it and I want to know if that'll mess my up chances to get in if I need a really high average.
Old 02-12-2013 at 06:32 PM   #4
SilverHawley

Oh, that shouldn't be much of a problem. You need a Cumulative Average of 5.0 and at least a C in CMST 1A03

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1420.html

Requirements are here

Vessi says thanks to SilverHawley for this post.
Old 02-12-2013 at 06:33 PM   #5
SilverHawley

Although, check every once in a while just to make sure.
Old 02-12-2013 at 06:34 PM   #6
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating4 / 1Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by ofomkcidtae.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 02-13-2013 at 11:24 AM   #7
kschwab

Liked: 7 Times

I don't believe the average needed is as low as a C, I know people that have not been let into the program

But I wouldn't call it competitive, a 70 is probably good
Old 02-14-2013 at 03:34 PM   #8
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

They are changing the communications program and also fazing out the multimedia program... If I were you I'd ask the department directly
Old 02-14-2013 at 04:29 PM   #9
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Mac Med is competitive.
Health Sci is kind of competitive.
Communications...
Old 02-14-2013 at 05:48 PM   #10
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^wtf kind of posts you guys making? even if health sci is competitive doesnt take away from its noobiness.
Old 02-14-2013 at 05:49 PM   #11
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofomkcidtae View Post
Non Engineering or Non Professional Programs Being Competitive? That is unheard of.
regular engineering streams at mac arent hard to get into. chill.
Old 02-14-2013 at 08:44 PM   #12
SilverHawley

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
They are changing the communications program and also fazing out the multimedia program... If I were you I'd ask the department directly
Whoa, where did you hear this? As far as I heard, they were just redesigning the multimedia program...?
Old 02-15-2013 at 12:20 AM   #13
shredgnar

Liked: 0 Times

ok this coming from someone in that program yeah as someone stated before for multimedia they only let in a certain capacity each year it changes every year I think it was like 30-40 people back when I was in first year but times have probably changed so I suggest seeing the academic advisor in cnh to see if you have the marks to get in as for communications it's pretty straight forward you gotta maintain a C+ but for 4th year you gotta push your marks up to like a B I think...
As for all the negativity about communications with comparison to other programs... GUYS & GALS it really is NOT about the program... "my program is better than yours" I mean seriously it's only undergrad.. it is about where you are actually going to be in the future

Vessi says thanks to shredgnar for this post.
Old 02-16-2013 at 12:32 PM   #14
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHawley View Post
Whoa, where did you hear this? As far as I heard, they were just redesigning the multimedia program...?

http://bpc.mcmaster.ca/

"The BPC will be delivered by McMaster University in partnership with Mohawk College of Applied Arts and Technology, bringing the strengths of each institution into one cohesive four-year program, allowing students to graduate with both an Honours Bachelor of Professional Communication from McMaster and a Diploma in Digital Communication from Mohawk."

Bachelor of Professional Communication has different mandatory courses than the Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies.

Also, McMaster issues the Bachelor of Arts in Multimedia but once they implement the new program your Multimedia degree comes from Mohawk

EDIT: I also heard this from a Communications professor who told me they are redesigning the program, and a girl I know in Multimedia was very upset to hear they are fazing out the Multimedia program and the courses she wanted to take are not going to be offered (they are limiting the courses for the old program they will be offering) - HOWEVER since you are already in the "old" program you won't be affected by the changes

Last edited by shes-a-diva* : 02-16-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2013 at 12:48 PM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
http://bpc.mcmaster.ca/

"The BPC will be delivered by McMaster University in partnership with Mohawk College of Applied Arts and Technology, bringing the strengths of each institution into one cohesive four-year program, allowing students to graduate with both an Honours Bachelor of Professional Communication from McMaster and a Diploma in Digital Communication from Mohawk."

Bachelor of Professional Communication has different mandatory courses than the Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies.

Also, McMaster issues the Bachelor of Arts in Multimedia but once they implement the new program your Multimedia degree comes from Mohawk

EDIT: I also heard this from a Communications professor who told me they are redesigning the program, and a girl I know in Multimedia was very upset to hear they are fazing out the Multimedia program and the courses she wanted to take are not going to be offered (they are limiting the courses for the old program they will be offering) - HOWEVER since you are already in the "old" program you won't be affected by the changes

Wow, this is huge news to me. I am quite disappointed to see that they are phasing out the Multimedia BA degree at McMaster. I'll have to confirm with the profs about it. HUGE MISTAKE for Mac! Digital and multimedia are growing like crazy, and I found the program to be very well done when I was at Mac.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to Chad for this post.

shes-a-diva* likes this.