MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering programs mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-15-2010 08:35 PM
Second Year Engineering Programs chistes First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-18-2010 05:00 PM
Second year programs zunizoon Academics 12 05-30-2010 09:58 AM
Engineering 1 Programs? hydravien First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-16-2009 08:16 PM
second year programs mcmaster0812 Academics 45 06-03-2009 01:21 PM

How competitive is it to get into 2nd year engineering programs?

Old 04-28-2010 at 10:26 PM   #1
DD88

Liked: 0 Times

How competitive is it to get into 2nd year engineering programs?
Which are usually the most difficult to get into and exactly how competitive are they?

Also, how are grades measured? You guys always post numbers but I don't know what they mean. How do those "numbers" compare to percentage grades?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2010 at 10:27 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Which faculty?
Old 04-28-2010 at 10:29 PM   #3
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Which faculty?
His profile says he's in Arts & Sciences.

Anyone in ArtSci that can help?
Old 04-28-2010 at 10:31 PM   #4
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Which faculty?
his post actually asks about engineering programs.
Old 04-28-2010 at 10:32 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Depends on exactly which one. I hear something like Civil is more difficult than Computer, so check with the Eng Faculty.
Old 04-28-2010 at 10:33 PM   #6
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Required grade to get into the different streams change each year based on demand but from what I've seen, Mechanical and Civil(Structural) are usually 1,2 in marks needed to get in.

As for the numbers, Mac uses and 12-point gpa scale which can be seen here http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/...nversion-chart
Old 04-28-2010 at 10:36 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Getting in is calculated on a points system. (Mark * # of units) / sum of all units.

Programs entrance vary year to year. Last year most people got in with 4 into what they wanted.
Old 04-28-2010 at 10:36 PM   #8
kldv
Just Some Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
his post actually asks about engineering programs.
Good call.

In which case, I suggest you (DDBB) check the recent history. The "numbers" are based on your cumulative average.
(Check the "similar threads" links shown above your post in this thread)

Say you get

Term 1
1aa4: 0
1ab3: 5
1ac3: 6
1ba3: 12
1ba5: 12
1zz1: 4
4ty4: 3

Your C.A. would be:
[ (4 x 0) + (3 x 5) + (3 x 6) + (3 x 12) + (5 x 12) + (1 x 4) + (4 x 3) ] / SUM(credits)

Last edited by kldv : 04-28-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2010 at 11:40 PM   #9
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD88 View Post
Also, how are grades measured? You guys always post numbers but I don't know what they mean. How do those "numbers" compare to percentage grades?
The numbers are the grades you get. You don't get percentages.
Old 04-29-2010 at 05:25 PM   #10
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Like the others above have said, it varies from year to year based on demand. One year there may be a huge demand to get into civil another year alot of students may want to get into mechatronics lol. imo if you got an 8 average then you should have a very very good chance in getting into your first choice.
Old 04-29-2010 at 09:42 PM   #11
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Which are usually the most difficult to get into and exactly how competitive are they?

Thanks
I'm fairly certain that the guidance people in BSB can tell you, I know they told me what the cut-offs were for the Bio specializations so it might be on their database.
Old 04-29-2010 at 09:49 PM   #12
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:

Thanks
You should be good to get into any program+ society/management with a CA of 7-8. I've never actually heard of anyone NOT getting into their first choice of program.
Old 05-02-2010 at 09:47 PM   #13
DD88

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
You should be good to get into any program+ society/management with a CA of 7-8. I've never actually heard of anyone NOT getting into their first choice of program.
Really? So like this isn't something to worry about then?

I'd be entering from highschool with an 82-83% average which is just above the cutoff for engineering. So I'm guessing that I'll be near the "bottom" in terms of grades compared to the rest of the engineering students at the end of first year.

Currently, I'd say I'm most interested in Civil.
Old 05-02-2010 at 10:05 PM   #14
kldv
Just Some Guy

Quote:
Really? So like this isn't something to worry about then?

I'd be entering from highschool with an 82-83% average which is just above the cutoff for engineering. So I'm guessing that I'll be near the "bottom" in terms of grades compared to the rest of the engineering students at the end of first year.

Currently, I'd say I'm most interested in Civil.
High School grades only go so far.

What really matters is how much effort you put in in first year (unless you are a foreign student who did all of this material 5 years ago)
If you come out of high school with mediocre grades, I suggest you convince yourself to work hard first year. There is a LOT to do at Mac, and in first year you might try to do a bit of everything, I suggest you focus on just getting decent marks first, then let the other stuff fit in. My first year I was actually involved in EVERYTHING. Almost got kicked out of engineering. Got scared enough to actually work hard, brought my CA up almost 2 grade points (3.9 -> 5.6) in second year.
My point is, if you want something like civil, don't stress now, but work hard during the year, spend some time learning good study habits if you don't already have them.

To return to my comment on foreign students... because much of the material is just review, I see a lot of the smart kids coast through first year. If you don't work to build a study habit in first year, there is a good chance 2nd year will kill you.
Old 05-03-2010 at 01:00 AM   #15
camais

Liked: 30 Times

every time a section of a unit is finished in class, do some questions in the textbook on it until you understand what is going on. make sure you know it. once midterms come, they dont stop! they just keep coming! by going over each unit and section as they come in class, studying for the midterms will be much easier and you will not get burned by the first chem test.