MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering programs mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-15-2010 08:35 PM
Second year programs zunizoon Academics 12 05-30-2010 09:58 AM
How competitive is it to get into 2nd year engineering programs? DD88 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 05-04-2010 08:29 PM
Engineering 1 Programs? hydravien First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-16-2009 08:16 PM
second year programs mcmaster0812 Academics 45 06-03-2009 01:21 PM

Second Year Engineering Programs

Old 07-18-2010 at 03:08 PM   #1
chistes

Liked: 0 Times

Second Year Engineering Programs
I'm going into the general engineering program next year, but I'm really hoping to get into the engineering and international studies program in second year. Is there a cut off average? What should I aim for in order to get into this program? Is it fairly competitive?
Old 07-18-2010 at 03:21 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

No, engineering + international studies is probably the easiest thing to get into. In my year for software engineering (~60 students), there is a total of one person in software + international studies. lol

So therefore, you only need a 4 to get in (the average to stay in engineering). Don't let that be a reason to slack off though :p.
Old 07-18-2010 at 03:22 PM   #3
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistes View Post
I'm going into the general engineering program next year, but I'm really hoping to get into the engineering and international studies program in second year. Is there a cut off average? What should I aim for in order to get into this program? Is it fairly competitive?
Engineering and International studies is sort of a "stream" of the Engineering and Society program, so the requirements are similar if not identical. The cut-off average for both is usually 4.0 (basically the average you need to stay in Engineering) because there aren't very many applicants. Society in total, usually has a class size of about 40-50, and International Studies is even smaller. I think in my year there are like... 10 people, at most.

However, you may want to keep your average well over a 4.0 to make it into your first choice of Engineering program. I think you should be set to get into anything with about 8-9.

Society and International studies courses are very similar (identical in 2nd year), so I can try to answer any other questions if you have them
Old 07-18-2010 at 05:00 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Concentrate on the averageyou need to get into your program in general. Like Biomed, Elec, Civil, Mech