MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is Hurst's second midterm like? COMP SCI 1BA3 Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 11-11-2012 08:21 PM
Comp Sci 1BA3 Midterm #2 andrewjdg Academics 9 12-05-2010 09:12 PM

COMP SCI 1BA3 - Midterm...RANT

Old 11-10-2012 at 05:50 PM   #1
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

COMP SCI 1BA3 - Midterm...RANT
Okay, what are your honest thoughts on the midterm? I have strong opinions, want to hear what others have to say though...
Old 11-10-2012 at 06:25 PM   #2
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

had hurst during first year. He can't teach to save his life. He's so boring and confusing. Don't worry everyone's gone through his unfair tests. I had him in first year. But they all know you guys are business and can't fail. So don't worry they'll bell curve like crazy
Old 11-10-2012 at 06:28 PM   #3
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
had hurst during first year. He can't teach to save his life. He's so boring and confusing. Don't worry everyone's gone through his unfair tests. I had him in first year. But they all know you guys are business and can't fail. So don't worry they'll bell curve like crazy
This midterm was brutal tho. If I do this bad on the exam too I'm just going to get a terrible mark. I need to do a lot better than just passing. Want Honours B. Com. plus Internship.
Old 11-10-2012 at 06:51 PM   #4
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

you are in first year man. Don't worry one bad mark will not have that big of an effect. we all have blemishes. As long as you are showing companies that you are always improving and maintaining a high level of achievement you'll get an internship for sure,especially if you do well in 2nd year (because its really challenging). And as long as you have a CA of 6 you can get into H B Comm. you have another two years to do that. You can switch in even after 3rd year I think.

shreebee likes this.
Old 11-10-2012 at 07:08 PM   #5
aurocks14

Liked: 7 Times

Honestly, just study the hell out of the textbook doing all the practice tests/assignments and go to class. If you don't fall asleep and take down key information, this course would be an EASY 11. It is probably one of the, if not the easiest course you'll take in university.

And yea he's a crappy teacher but you'll encounter many more.
Old 11-10-2012 at 07:13 PM   #6
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurocks14 View Post
Honestly, just study the hell out of the textbook doing all the practice tests/assignments and go to class. If you don't fall asleep and take down key information, this course would be an EASY 11. It is probably one of the, if not the easiest course you'll take in university.

And yea he's a crappy teacher but you'll encounter many more.
I did study the hell out of it and I did do all the practise stuff and I have gone to every class and tutorial and always paid attention. Ug.
Old 11-11-2012 at 12:26 AM   #7
abbas.kassam

Liked: 0 Times

omg that midterm was BRUTAL.

And everyone is saying that he will bellcurve it, but I doubt they will for this year because the previous midterm was already at an average of 76 (give or take), so it makes sense that if they want the average to be in the 60s then the average for this will have to be in the 50s... am i correct?

I obviously really hope that they bullcurve this thing up like crazy, but it makes sense why they wouldn't as well...

any thoughts?
Old 11-11-2012 at 01:27 AM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

I wish I could put you through some of the engineering ones. You will cry so much more. I'm looking at you heat transfer

aurocks14, jim1 like this.
Old 11-11-2012 at 06:03 AM   #9
Thinker

Liked: 2 Times

Guys seriously, enough with these CS 1BA3 posts. It's a first year course for God's sake. If you guys can't handle this then I'm afraid next couple of yours will be tough as hell for you. But the upside is you are not in Engineering so you might make it after all.

aurocks14 likes this.
Old 11-11-2012 at 06:38 AM   #10
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

Don't worry about Computer Science 1BA3, you just have to pass it. However you need to maintain a atleast 5 average to enter in 2nd year. Last year, I took that course and did not do well. Midterm 1 is fairly okay but midterm 2 & Final is a pain and MC questions are not straightforward but I PASS!!. Most of the content is boring, it does not motivate me study that hard. But, HEY!!! computer science 1BA3 is one of the most boring course taken by Commerce Students so don't even bother it. My only suggestion is to read (memorize the terms) in the textbook and do some practice problems few times, Cheers!!

Commie42 says thanks to keiser=) for this post.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 11-12-2012 at 02:37 PM   #11
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

I actually liked Hurst better than Detler (Detlor?), and did better on Hurst's tests. He loves definitions so the key for his tests is memorization (actually most com. courses are pure memorization).

I remember ppl bitched at Hurst in my year too so he made the final super easy, so there's still hope

@everyone freaking out;
CHILL THE FUCK OUT
This is 1 course in 1st year (aka the fodder/filler year). Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, will care about your 1st year marks.
Oh, and if you have a B in this class and are here bitching about a good mark like that kindly stfu
Old 11-12-2012 at 03:04 PM   #12
LIBORplustwo
Account Locked

Liked: 0 Times

Haha, that is the only B I have gotten in the 20 courses I have taken at Mac. who cares? Get over it, bro