MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone taken ANTHROP 1A03 ? MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2010 03:33 PM
Comp Sci 1FC3 shapkin123 General Discussion 7 08-11-2009 10:59 AM
Comp Lit 1A03 Lois 1st Year Course Reviews 0 07-08-2009 06:46 PM
Timetable Conflict with COMP SCI 1FC3 georgeb.1990 Academics 6 08-16-2008 11:41 PM

Comp Sci 1FC3 or Anthrop 1A03?

Old 12-08-2010 at 01:00 PM   #1
Hani.Ramzan

Liked: 0 Times

Comp Sci 1FC3 or Anthrop 1A03?
Hey guys,

I'm having a dilemma over which of these two courses to take second term, I would like to know which one would be better for me considering the factors that I don't like essays, but can manage them, and I also have a slight interest in computer science and want to learn atleast the basics. I've heard a few things about the difficulty of comp sci 1FC3, is it insanely difficult or realistically difficult?
Old 12-08-2010 at 01:15 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Just pick what's more interesting. I don't think you'll need to know the evolution of humanity as a Business major. But, knowing some basic computer science might be helpful, especially if you're interested in it.

Special Upper Year Pro-Tip: Bird courses become hard when they're boring.

Hani.Ramzan says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 12-08-2010 at 01:22 PM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Comp.Sci 1FC3 is not a basic computer science course on how to program or use office programs; it's a course on discrete mathematics. If you're looking for an easy course, that's definitely not a good choice... unless you're reasonably good at math and/or like math.
Old 12-08-2010 at 01:33 PM   #4
Hani.Ramzan

You could say I'm reasonably good at math, but what kind of math is it? Is it like calculus where theres more thinking involved or is it more systematic kind of like where its based more on knowledge than thinking? Because I def feel comp sci would be more worthwhile to me then Anthro but I don't want to put myself in a situation where I wouldn't understand whats going on in the course
Old 12-08-2010 at 01:56 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

It's discrete math. That includes set theory, combinatorics, probability and graph theory among other things.

I would say it's math more applicable to real world situations. With combinatorics and probability for example, you can learn to count cards .

I dunno, for some people this type of math just 'clicks'. Personally, I had a lot of trouble with it.

People really into strategy gaming I find do well, lol.

Hani.Ramzan says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 12-08-2010 at 02:02 PM   #6
Hani.Ramzan

Oh wow sounds like stats, that stuff is torture haha. Thanks for the help though this really helped. Any further inside would be appreciated as well
Old 12-08-2010 at 02:09 PM   #7
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

comp sci 1fc3 is very hard. The averages for our midterms were under 50% (two years ago). The course may have improved since than however. Even though it was hard i think it was one of my most important courses in 1st year.
Old 12-08-2010 at 03:42 PM   #8
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Anthro 1A03 is an easy course.
3 classes a week, I only attended about 50% of them, and am maintaining about an 85% average going into the exam.
Just make a friend and swap notes for when you can't make it to class.
There's chapters to be read in the textbook, nothing too hard to grasp. I had Dr. Geer, and she did a decent job at teaching.

With her you do not get review notes or anything, just read and study the notes. Exam is not cumulative, only what is after the midterm.
2 Discussion paper, and 1 research paper.

I'd go for Anthro 1A03 (though it can get quite boring).
Old 12-08-2010 at 06:24 PM   #9
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

Comp Sci 1FC3 is somethin' fierce, no one in their right mind would take it by choice if they knew what it entailed. Just look at my answer to the first question of one of the assignments:

a) ∀x¬∃i(i^x=x), where x∈R, i∈R
b) ∀n∀x¬∃y∃z( ( (n|2=y)∧(n>0) ) → ( (n|x=z) → (x|2=y) ), where n,y,x∈N
c) ∀x∃b∃y( (x>0) → ((x=b*b*y)∨(x=b^y)) ), where x∈R
d) ∀x∀y∃d(x|d=y|d), where x,y∈N
e) ∀x∀y∃z((x|y=z)↔ (x=0)), where x,y,z∈N
f) ∀x∀y∀z(((x>0∧y>0∧z>0) ∧ (x*x+y*y=z*z)) → (x|2=0∨y|2=0∨z|2=0)), where x,y,z∈N
Old 12-08-2010 at 07:37 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
Comp Sci 1FC3 is somethin' fierce, no one in their right mind would take it by choice if they knew what it entailed. Just look at my answer to the first question of one of the assignments:

a) ∀x¬∃i(i^x=x), where x∈R, i∈R
b) ∀n∀x¬∃y∃z( ( (n|2=y)∧(n>0) ) → ( (n|x=z) → (x|2=y) ), where n,y,x∈N
c) ∀x∃b∃y( (x>0) → ((x=b*b*y)∨(x=b^y)) ), where x∈R
d) ∀x∀y∃d(x|d=y|d), where x,y∈N
e) ∀x∀y∃z((x|y=z)↔ (x=0)), where x,y,z∈N
f) ∀x∀y∀z(((x>0∧y>0∧z>0) ∧ (x*x+y*y=z*z)) → (x|2=0∨y|2=0∨z|2=0)), where x,y,z∈N
What's hilarious is this is a first year course...like, this is the stupidly easy stuff.
Old 12-08-2010 at 10:32 PM   #11
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

Looking back on it, some of the concepts appear easy to me but some never get easier, like relation-algebraic proofs. Regardless of the concepts, the tests can still be retarded (which they were). So in the end, I found it just as hard if not harder than engineering math 1ZZ5, which most people will tell you is no walk in the park.