MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp Eng 2di4 blackdragon 2nd Year Course Reviews 4 10-03-2011 02:59 PM
Need help for Comp Sci Midterm!! a.singh92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 10-20-2010 12:06 AM
comp megg.noelle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-18-2010 12:45 PM
Comp Sci/Comp Eng/Soft Eng stevennevets Academics 9 10-19-2009 08:54 PM
Timetable Conflict with COMP SCI 1FC3 georgeb.1990 Academics 6 08-16-2008 11:41 PM

Comp Sci 1FC3

Old 12-21-2008 at 07:21 PM   #1
shapkin123

Liked: 0 Times

Comp Sci 1FC3
Can anyone comment on how hard Comp Sci 1FC3 is and what kind of thing you do in the class.
Thanks
Old 06-26-2009 at 04:28 PM   #2
pink_cupcake

can someone please answer this question
thanks
Old 06-26-2009 at 05:03 PM   #3
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

hard but recommend.

Some Haskell ( a functional programming language)

Logic
proofs
trees
graphs
Proof by induction.

It is very math like. And Dr.Kahl is a tough prof but a good one.

last years website: http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/~kahl/CS1FC3/2009/
Old 06-26-2009 at 05:46 PM   #4
crazytown

Difficult, but if you stay on top of the work, do practice questions and give yourself time for the assignments, you should be fine. Read the text. Go to class and pay attention! I had a hard time in this class, partly because I didn't make every 8:30 class and had to teach myself a lot of stuff, and partly because I didn't do enough homework practice. I was really scared I was going to fail, I messed up both tests and was doing alright on assignments. But Dr. Kahl is a good prof, I emailed him about my issues, he looked at my past assignments (it's all done electronically) and gave pointers on what I should focus on. I buckled down before the exam and got a 6. I know, not the best grade, but compared to how I was doing beforehand I was very relieved and happy. If I had worked as hard and as effectively as that last two weeks for the entire semester, I'm sure I would've done much better. So, if you stay on top of the work you should be fine.
Old 06-26-2009 at 11:55 PM   #5
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Considering the average on both midterms was low 50s, I'd say it's a fairly difficult course.

Dr. Kahl seemed approachable, but he was harsh on the tests. Next year might be better, because he might use this years tests as samples. I think people would have done better if they had know what kinds of things he was going to ask. Length was a problem, too.
Old 06-27-2009 at 12:49 AM   #6
crazytown

Really? Low 50s? Now I don't feel as bad. This first test was kind of ridiculous.
Old 06-27-2009 at 04:28 PM   #7
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Considering the average on both midterms was low 50s, I'd say it's a fairly difficult course.

Dr. Kahl seemed approachable, but he was harsh on the tests. Next year might be better, because he might use this years tests as samples. I think people would have done better if they had know what kinds of things he was going to ask. Length was a problem, too.

ya but he made the exam very easy.
Old 08-11-2009 at 10:59 AM   #8
jeremic

Liked: 1 Time

Yeah Dr. Kahl's 8:30 classes were brutal. He is a good prof, but very rigorous. We had to teach Haskell to ourselves pretty much and his assignments were ridiculously hard that even our T.A.'s had problems with most of the questions.

The first test was too long and we had to memorize a little over 72 logical equivalences. He did not tell us about this.
Send test was very good (at least for me) after a long study session. And the exam was pretty easy as well.

As long as you dont fall back and study the material this course is a breeze. Oh and all you need to do is just be a little above the average because he bell-curves all his tests. I remember the avg on the first test was 34% and he bellcurved it so my mark jumped from low 60's to low 80's and on the second test i went to high 80's to a little under 110...